Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
9th Grader arrested for bringing clock to school that looks like bomb

Quote:Well, even after determining it was a clock they still put handcuffs on him and took him to detention center and finger printed him.  But yeah, I'm sure that happens to every innocent person.

I have no idea if it was racial profiling or not once the police got involved.  I'm simply saying, especially knowing how it went down, it is a definite possibility.
And I'm saying that I strongly doubt that it was. Think about it: a student finds himself in the principal's office because a teacher thought he had a bomb. The police are called in and determine that no, it's not a bomb. Still, people are selfish and stupid. Maybe the police decided to bring him on "hoax bomb" charges to avoid being questioned later on why they let a kid suspected of having a bomb go back to class. Maybe the cops really didn't believe Ahmed when he said over and over again that it was a clock, it was presented as a clock, and it was never said to be anything but a clock.

Maybe the principal didn't want to send Ahmed back to class then have teachers come after him for not backing Ahmed's English teacher up. Maybe the principal pressured the police into making the arrest because he was concerned that Johnny would go home and tell his parents that Ahmed brought a bomb/fake bomb to school but was allowed to go back to class, and the principal was concerned about having angry parents and district administrators crawling up his butt. Principals most certainly can pressure cops into making an arrest. It happened at least twice at my high school while I was there.

Or maybe they arrested him because he's a Muslim kid carrying a homemade digital clock around school. Who knows? Racism is certainly a possibility, but knowing how stupid cops and school administrators are these days, I suspect it was just, well, cops and school administrators being stupid.

Messages In This Thread
9th Grader arrested for bringing clock to school that looks like bomb - by TJBender - 09-20-2015, 03:50 AM