Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. 10 reported dead. 20 wounded.

Quote:No I think the food self sufficiency is great and good for the environment too. Food is a neccesity. Guns are about as necessary as surfing. It is a hobby but somewhat more dangerous.
If we lived in a utopia society where violence never took place then guns would certainly be less necessary. However, we don't live in that place. The United States has always been a violent place, even before it became a nation. Violent crime is a fact of life here. Here, bad people with bad intentions have weapons. Even if it's against the law, they can get weapons. If I don't also have weapons, then I'm unable to defend myself or those I love; I'm an older adult and not very big to begin with. I have the appearance of a helpless victim... the very sort of target that those very same 'bad people' are looking for. I wish the police could always be where they are needed almost instantly... but in a place like Jacksonville, it can take minutes for them to respond to a situation which culminates in seconds.

And it's no coincidence that the 'mass shootings' tend to take place at so called 'gun free zones'. These are easy, target rich environments in which the shooter(s) can move with impunity... until they encounter someone else who is armed. It sounds almost cliche to point it out, but the best... the only way to counter someone with a gun and evil intent is by a 'good guy' with a gun.

Statistically, the cities in this country which have the strictest gun control laws have also got the highest violent crime rates... rates which have grown higher with the establishment of those same gun control laws. The reason; law abiding people abide by the law and become disarmed. Criminals, who by definition don't abide by the law get or keep their guns and the law abiding citizens become helpless sheep for the slaughter. In those places where the law abiding citizens are encouraged to legally carry and posses fire arms, the violent crime rate actually drops. This takes place for the same reason that criminals target the 'gun free zones'. They are opportunist and are looking for easy targets. A location with a high percentage of legal gun carrying citizens is not an easy target.

I am a former police officer so I know somewhat of what I speak. The people who push for those extreme gun control laws do not have the best interest of the law abiding citizen at heart; they have their own special interest agenda. I can't think of a single world leader who favors 'gun control' who does not travel with an armed contingent surrounding them. They want guns around them but don't want you to have the same protection. 

Think about that...

Messages In This Thread
Shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. 10 reported dead. 20 wounded. - by StitchJones - 10-09-2015, 08:50 AM