Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ramsey and Gipson Appear to Have been Right

When Gus Bradley was fired, Jalen Ramsey and Tayshaun Gipson trashed the Jaguars defensive coaches for not putting them in position to make plays. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_...eme-needed

There were some that felt the players were out of line for publicly airing their critiques of the scheme.

However, if the results are any indication of a shift in schematic approaches, then Ramsey and Gipson may have been right.

Last season, the Jaguars defense all of THIRTEEN (13) turnovers for the entire year.  For us non math majors, that's less than a turnover a game.

After five games this year, the Jaguars defense has produced FIFTEEN (15) turnovers, including FIVE (5) INTs just yesterday.

Now I readily admit I am not privy to any adjustments made or not made between the past 2-3 years.  Furthermore, I acknowledge experience and the addition of additional talent like Bouye, Church, and Campbell also plays a role.

But I maintain that even though the coaching remained largely the same, some scheme tweaks has contributed to increased turnover production.  For instance, the Jaguars announced they would use a more traditional 4-3 approach rather than the hybrid approach that required the "big" DE.  Gone were guys like Jared Odrick and Tyson Alualu who contributed little to the pass rush.  I think the change in scheme has helped Fowler become more a more productive pass rusher, even though he is a "part time player."  Right now he has four sacks in five games, after getting four sacks all of last year.  He has two forced fumbles to go along with that.  I think the switch to a more conventional 4-3 approach has enabled Ngakoue to remain productive, and has enabled Campbell and Fowler to become more productive pass rushers.

I think this has also reflected in INTs, as the Jaguars now lead the league with ten.  Jacksonville had seven INTs all of last year, nine in 2015, and six in 2014.  Undoubtedly some is a result of again, better personnel in the secondary.  Undoubtedly, some is a result of the increased pressure.  My guess is they have made tweaks to the pass coverages, in accordance with the critiques of Ramsey and Gipson, and that has contributed to the increase in INTs.

I think having a coaching staff that plays to the players' strengths and values the input of the players is important to a team's success.  It seems under Marrone, the defensive staff has implemented changes that is enabling the defense to be more productive and the team to be more successful overall.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Ramsey and Gipson Appear to Have been Right - by Bullseye - 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM