Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No need to be Envious of the Colts Deal

(05-20-2018, 10:43 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 06:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Taking off my Jag fan hat for the moment and being a detached football fan, I like what they did for their offensive line.  As it stands now, I think they now have 3/5th, maybe 4/5ths of a solid offensive line.  I have my doubts about Castonzo and their RT.  They should now be able to run the ball effectively, and take some of the pressure off of Luck (and they may need to.  I am not sold at all on Luck's complete return to health.)

I don't like the comparison of Turay to Ngakoue.  Yes, he has good length, but he was not very productive in college, even as a stand up edge rusher in Rutgers' 3-4.  Can he play with his hand on the ground in Indy's 4-3 scheme?  I do like the Darius Leonard pick.  He should add a lot of speed and athleticism to their LBs. 

I think Cain may prove to be a good pick.

You and Pirkster have both said they need another 2-3 drafts like this one to completely close the gap with the Jaguars, and that's with the assumption Luck is capable of playing at a good level.

Let me ask both of you this.  I realize it's early, but in your estimation, is there a trio in the Colts draft class comparable in quality to our 2016 draft haul of Ramsey, Jack, and Ngakoue?

That's really an unfair comparison. Excluding the windfall of a top franchise QB, there are very few drafts that result in three players comparable to the Jags 2016 draft. I do think the clots draft class will be better than the Jags 2015 draft, and it's hard to end up worse than the 2013 draft.

Is it an unfair comparison?

The tacit premise of those who lament the Jaguars not trading back is that trading back and accumulating more picks puts the team that trades back (in this case the Colts) in a better position to accumulate talent than the team that doesn't (the Jaguars).

I have maintained in two different threads that trading back does not guarantee a talent windfall for teams that do so, and in most cases, trading back and accumulating a bunch of picks does not result in juggernaut teams.

The Jaguars did not trade back and accumulate a bunch of picks in 2016 and got what amounts to a single draft full of defensive triplets-Ramsey, Jack, and Ngakoue.

History has shown the Rams (twice), Browns (at least twice), and tacks have traded back with these monster deals and did not accumulate a draft class comparable to those 2016 Jaguars that didn't trade back.

This year, it was the Colts' turn.  While I think they helped themselves, I don't think at this admittedly early stage this 2018 Colts draft class, even with the trade back, compares to that 2016 Jaguars draft class.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
RE: No need to be Envious of the Colts Deal - by Bullseye - 05-21-2018, 09:46 AM