Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Real Lesson of 9/11- excellent perspective

(09-11-2018, 09:07 PM)mikesez Wrote: I hear this man, most of what he's saying anyways.  I think.
Some people will just hear, "I was in the Army.  The army is one of the best parts of America!"
Other people will just hear, "the war was pointless and the result will be the same whether we leave tomorrow or stay another 17 years."
And most of the people who hear both won't know what to do with that.  How can both things be true?
It's some sort of ideological trap that the mind, the American mind at least, gets stuck in.
But this man is *credible*.  He knows that of which he speaks, he's not asking us to do anything for him, and he has no reason to lie to us.  
Both things are true.

I actually was in the Army and, though I believe the privilege to serve my country was an awesome responsibility, it is in no way the best parts of America. Do I believe the people who truly serve and don't do it for college money or they nothing better to do are the best parts of America? You'd better believe it. Those who serve anyone with a true servant's heart are the ones who run toward the fight, toward the fire, toward the injured, and the ones I know are some of the best people I will ever know. The best kind of people anyone will ever know. 

Do I think he's right about the war? Yes I do. My former husband was deployed to Iraq as a senior NCO. His job was military police and he said the money they gave out to bribe this village elder or that tribal leader was crazy. Some of the other things this fellow talks about rings true with others I know who were deployed to both places. We shouldn't have gone to either country and the one we should have held accountable we are protecting for reasons beyond logical explanation. 

It is possible to see both sides with an open mind if we are willing to listen to men like the author of this piece and not what the politicians, the media and anyone else of 'influence' has to say about it. Most of whom have never actually served anyone without an agenda much less served in our Armed Forces.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Real Lesson of 9/11- excellent perspective - by americus 2.0 - 09-11-2018, 10:31 PM