Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tom Coughlin - The head man in charge

(01-03-2019, 01:48 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 10:27 AM)FBT Wrote: I think he's still a GM in the traditional sense.  He just has a boss.  It's definitely a unique structure.

Off the top of my head I can think of Oakland. You think Mayock can override Gruden?

What about New England? Do they have someone with the title of GM?

Why does anyone think the Owner should have a clue about football personnel or operations? Are only former players or GMs allowed to be owners? I don't want my team's owner thinking he knows football - although anyone who has watched more than five games on tv thinks he qualified to run an NFL team.

No.  Mayock is pretty much a glorified scout.  Gruden has complete control there.  Davis has basically handed him the reigns.  

Belichick is their GM for all intents and purposes.  I'm sure Robert Kraft has enough trust in Belichick most of the time to run the franchise, but he has injected his editorial opinion into some personnel decisions.  All indications are that Kraft pushed Belichick to trade Garoppolo.  So even the almighty Bill has to answer to someone.  

I think for the most part, owners leave football decisions to those who are qualified.  There are exceptions, such as in Dallas where Jerry Jones pretty much fancies himself a personnel expert.  

I agree that in most instances, an owner who is more hands-off is preferred.  I think Khan recognizes his limitations with this team, and understood that he needed to have someone in charge of football operations similar to what he's got on the business side of the franchise.  I think when he inserted Tom into that role, he hoped that it would be a mentor type relationship between he and Caldwell.  That may still be very much the case.  I don't think our ownership is trying to steer things on the football side.  He's leaving that to the pros.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Messages In This Thread
Tom Coughlin - The head man in charge - by knarnn - 01-02-2019, 05:08 PM
RE: Tom Coughlin - The head man in charge - by FBT - 01-03-2019, 03:41 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 08-01-2020, 03:31 PM