Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jack Del Rio: No idea we were drafting Blaine Gabbert

(07-05-2019, 08:28 AM)mikesez Wrote: Del Rio is an interesting character.
He had more success as a defensive coordinator.  He has a gift as a former player of being able to communicate what each player needs to do, whether the scheme was simple or complex.
I don't think he had much to offer on offense.
I also don't think he was able to manage his emotions well, and that spilled over into players also not managing their emotions well.
As for scouting, note that he's just saying, "I wouldn't have traded up for Gabbert." Del Rio was supposed to be scouting, and I think we can assume that Del Rio gave Gabbert a positive scouting report.  He didn't deny it.
This team had a lot of bad first round picks, but only one made me groan and moan watching it live.  That was Gabbert.  The one player in that draft that I didn't want.

On the emotions thing...

I think JDR held it in check most of the time, but just not on that fateful Sunday against those winless Bengals when they beat us. Indeed he lost control of his emotions on that day resulting in his unfortunate and undeserved blow-up at Mike P, which then led to him losing the locker room and the rest of the season. It would the Jaguars franchise several years to recover from the repercussions of that blow-up. 
'02

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL.com - Jack Del Rio: No idea we were drafting Blaine Gabbert - by Jags02 - 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM