Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An Interesting Trade Proposal

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022, 04:40 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-06-2022, 11:08 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 06:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: UCF Jaguars, who used to post on this board, has a regular youtube feature and he proposed an interesting trade, which presumes we end up with the top overall pick once this weekend's games are over.

Under his hypothetical, having targets for Trevor would no longer be an issue, as we would trade back to ten with Atlanta, who would include WR Calvin Ridley in a package.

At ten, drafting WR Jameson Williams would make sense, and our WR group would look something like this

DJ Chark
Calvin Ridley
Jameson Williams
Laviska Shenault
Marvin Jones
Laquan Treadwell

This group looks a while lot better than this year's group.

This move would not be without risk.  Ridley left the Falcons due to mental health issues.  The Jaguars dealt CJ Henderson due to mental health issues.

But at least he has healthy ACLs, which is more than we could say for Godwin and Gallup.  If his head is on straight, he'd give Trevor a fast, experienced WR who can run good routes.

Adopting a trade would enable the team to allocate free agency money towards the OL and TE.

Thoughts?
Bullseye, a trade for Ridley is definitely something which would intrigue me. There are many mis-conceptions about "mental health" problems. Having many years of experience in this field, I have no doubt that with proper treatment a very high percentage (70-80%) of adults treated for depression/anxiety have very positive outcomes. I don't claim to know what Ridley's specific diagnosis is.
If the Jaguars were considering this trade (Ridley and pick 10 for our 1st pick), they would need to thoroughly evaluate Ridley (physically and emotionally) prior to making this deal. One good sign is that I've seen nothing in his past indicating he has a history of emotional or character concerns. 

Ridley is still relatively young and should have several very productive years ahead of him. He was arguably among the top 10 receivers following the 2020 season. I'd prefer him over players like D.J. Moore, Mike Williams and Christian Kirk. Godwin and Gallup will each be coming off of significant injuries and may not be 100% by the start of next season. Davante Adams is very unlikely to come here.

This trade is also very appealing since there really isn't a "slam-dunk" player to be taken with pick 1. Hutchinson, Thibodeaux and Neal should all be very good pros, but there are legitimate questions about whether they will be truly elite. The Jaguars would have many desirable options with the 10th pick. If they do not land Armstead (my top target) or franchise Robinson, one of the offensive linemen could be considered like Ekwonu or Kenyon Green due to their ability to play tackle or guard. Jameson Williams would be a good value here as would Kyle Hamilton or Sauce Gardner. Bottom line, if Ridley checks out o.k., I'd love this deal.

Thanks for this perspective!

If you (you specifically and the board generally) do not mind a few follow up inquiries, I'd value your insights/subject matter expertise.

Assuming Ridley has MH issues-depression specifically-is it possible his depression is situational as opposed to a chemical imbalance?  In other words, is it the culmination of one or a series of external life events that is making him depressed (i.e. breakup, death of loved one, change of coaches, losing) as opposed to a chemical imbalance?

Is it possible any depression could have hybrid or multple causes like adverse situations as well as a chemical imbalance? 

Would CTE be a cause or aggravating factor?

How would these factors  determine his prognosis with treatment?  Is there such a thing as a "geographical" cure/solution-i.e. if he changes location, his outlook improves?

Not necessarily looking for a doctoral dissertation here, nor do I wish the board to be bogged down in medical/psycholoogical discourse or the subtleties of the DSM V, but I think exploration of these issues could help us determine on some superficial level whether players like Ridley, Johnson and/or Brown might be worth the risk.

As for the football portion of your post, I completely agree those players currently perceived as being at the top of the draft boards are generally not seen as "elite prospects."  Accordingly, I think for the Jaguars, the best use of this draft would be to get players that would enable our elite QB prospect to perform at a level much closer to his highest potential than he has this year.

If Trevor Lawrence is able to perform at a substantially higher level, he becomes the "rising tide that lifts all boats."  If the passing game is more of a threat, it forces more safeties out of the box, which frees things up for James Robinson/Etienne, or whatever healthy RB we might have.  If we are effective running and passing, it helps our OL become more effective blockers.  If we're playing with more leads, the defense performs better.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
An Interesting Trade Proposal - by Bullseye - 01-06-2022, 06:54 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade bProposal - by Bullseye - 01-06-2022, 07:21 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade bProposal - by Bullseye - 01-06-2022, 07:32 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade bProposal - by Bullseye - 01-06-2022, 07:39 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade bProposal - by Bullseye - 01-06-2022, 07:46 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade Proposal - by Upper - 01-06-2022, 07:49 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade Proposal - by Bullseye - 01-06-2022, 07:54 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade Proposal - by Cleatwood - 01-06-2022, 07:56 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade Proposal - by Upper - 01-06-2022, 08:11 PM
RE: An Interesting Trade Proposal - by Bullseye - 01-06-2022, 08:30 PM