Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fred Taylor Discussion on Dan Patrick Show

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022, 08:56 AM by Predator. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-24-2022, 12:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 05:17 PM)Predator Wrote: I implied no such thing about Mack. I've been talking all along about the 3 seasons after Mack and Coughlin, where there wasn't anyone else with enough ability on the roster to make up for Taylor's inability to get in the end zone.

I don't know why your are fixated on Coughlin. Fred Taylor had his 4 most productive scoring seasons during his 5 seasons under Coughlin. Coughlin did everything he could to get Fred into the end zone, he just came to realize that there were players on the roster that were much better and much more consistent in short yardage situations than Fred.

He had 11 rushing TDs in 41 games he played in during the 3 seasons between Mack and MJD. That comes out to around 1 TD every 4 games. That stinks for a starting RB. Fred got the large majority of the carries during those three seasons when he played one of which he got the most in his career. He just struggled getting those one or two yards needed in crucial situations.

Fred was fine in the red zone. It was situations where it was goal to go and he would be facing a goal line defense that he bogged down. He couldn't get the penetration nor the push that Mack and MJD could, nor could he go over the top like James Stewart could.

These guys had the knack for it that Taylor didn't.

Wow.

Goal line situations over a three year stretch are now the gripe to keep him out of the hall?

Those 3 years just validate a short yardage and scoring issue he has had most of his career, that you attempted to blame on coaches pulling him, because he was the only option over that span and he didn't perform.

The coaches pulling him wasn't the cause of Fred having low TD numbers, it was the effect of Fred struggling in short yardage scoring situations which those three seasons, where there wasn't a viable replacement option for him, demonstrate.

Whether that will be something that keeps him out of the Hall of Fame I don't know, but I'm pretty sure his TD numbers compared to his peers is what kept him out of many pro bowls because scoring weighs heavily over yardage.

Averaging 5 TDs a year during an era where scoring 20+ was common and the all time records were being set and then reset by his peers, will probably be the biggest contributing factor if he never get voted in.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fred Taylor Discussion on Dan Patrick Show - by Predator - 06-24-2022, 08:53 AM