Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Go EV? Not me... those things are dangerous just sitting around.....

(07-14-2022, 03:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 01:24 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I can see the future more EV especially in suburban and city communities. The problem is there's still a massive population in rural communities. I don't even have access to paved roads, the post office doesn't deliver out here we have use a PO box, there's no public utilities and they think I'm going to have somewhere to charge an EV?

The other problem with EV is they're throw away cars. Once that battery depletes few if anyone is going to replace them it's to expensive. All batteries eventually deplete it's just a question of how slow the degrading process is. If EV is the future your EV will become like your iphone, you'll finance it for 3 years by the time it's almost paid off it's outdated and the battery isn't holding a charge so you'll have to upgrade to the next model.

I see hybrids as a more doable future. We've figured out the hybrid cells as an industry and they can gap the bridge from where we are now to where we want to be in the future. Just need to do a better job with the eco turbos those are still giving most manufactures trouble.

I agree.  I like you live in a rural area.  My daily commute (for one more week) to and from work is right around 50 miles or so.  I do have power at my place, but no phone or internet service via a land line.  All of our phone/internet service is via cell phone towers which the "service" in our area is poor.

Also, I recently saw something regarding an Electric Truck being used as a truck.  With no load it had decent range between charges.  Put a load on it (pulling a trailer with a 10,000 pound machine on it) the truck lasted around 30 miles or so.  I use one of my trucks to do such work.  Electric is pretty much out of the question.

(07-13-2022, 08:18 PM)Jags Wrote: I was in my local Home Depot over the weekend.  Previously in the week I saw a person using a Ryobi electric ZTR.  I happened to see this thing in HD.  They had a couple models.  One cost 7000.00!!!!  That’s about 2-3000 less than a commercial mower.  Idk how many times an average Florida man would need to mow their lawn 40 weeks a year for it to pay off.  Actually, I do.  Hopefully in 4-5 years he’ll make his money back.  Freaking insane.  This guy was older.  He’d probably be dead before he actually got the benefits of it.  And his edging and weed earring sucked.  I guess they didn’t have a good battery powered option for that.  Sorry to sidetrack the EV thread.

I purchased a battery operated chainsaw and pole-saw for my wife a while back.  She likes to clean up our property and I figured the lighter weight would be easier for her to handle.  Those tools are actually pretty handy and I commonly carry one or the other on my tractor as I'm working around areas of our property.

A battery operated mower wouldn't work very well for me.  The lawn area around the house is about the size of a "typical" yard, but my "back yard" consists of acres of grass.  My choice for a mower is an older diesel powered sub-compact tractor with a 62" belly mower.  It's not as nice as a zero-turn mower, but it has a place for my cooler and a place to put my beer.

There are some decent battery powered stuff out there.  For instance, look at all the cool power tools!!!  I’ve actually used a battery powered chainsaw.  It lacked power compared to a Stihl, but for the homeowner, it worked flawlessly.   I was impressed.  All the battery powered stuff is geared to the homeowner.  Which is fine.  I don’t blame them.  But doing what I do, I can not fathom having to use one.  And the mower being that expensive?!??? Now, 7k for a mower that is not commercial grade??? That seems steep!  But like FSG said, I guess you can mow at 6am without upsetting the neighbors.  I know you’re in a different situation though. More lawn, no neighbors.  

Btw, when you cleared your land, did you buy or rent the equipment? Or hire that out?   I was looking at various pieces and then came across people that said to just rent it. Curious as to your thoughts as you’ve done this before..

Messages In This Thread
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 06-24-2022, 12:56 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by MarleyJag - 06-24-2022, 01:19 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 07-09-2022, 01:31 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by MarleyJag - 07-09-2022, 08:39 PM
RE: Go EV? Not me... those things are dangerous just sitting around..... - by Jags - 07-14-2022, 06:28 PM