Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tom Coughlin Hired!

Quote:I hope I'm wrong about Bortles.  But that throwing motion and the subsequent inaccuracy and wobblers isn't something I think can be fixed, long term.  

The bright side is there is so much talent on this team.  All Bortles has to do is be even slightly more mediocre than terrible, and we are AFCS champs, in my opinion.  I just think its really time to begin looking at alternatives.  
I usually agree with you Anchor, but I think that Bortles will play significantly better like he did last year. His medical issues, a porous offensive line and a nonexistent running game caused Bortles to shoulder ALL of the weight and do everything himself. 

There is no way he puts up 35 TDs last year without being talented in some way. And to those who will say he got bailed out to fit their narrative, yes he did get bailed out on some throws (thats what receivers get paid to do) - but he certainly made plays too… If we play that game, then I can point out 7 INTs that were caused solely by the receivers this year. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I usually agree with you Anchor, but I think that Bortles will play significantly better like he did last year. His medical issues, a porous offensive line and a nonexistent running game caused Bortles to shoulder ALL of the weight and do everything himself.

There is no way he puts up 35 TDs last year without being talented in some way. And to those who will say he got bailed out to fit their narrative, yes he did get bailed out on some throws (thats what receivers get paid to do) - but he certainly made plays too… If we play that game, then I can point out 7 INTs that were caused solely by the receivers this year.

Thank you for using logic and reason.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:For the purposes of this discussion, I do not comment on the long term viability of Blake Bortles.  My answer focuses solely on the short term.

If you bring in competition at QB, I have no problem with that.  My concern is what are the reasonable expectations for whomever you bring in?  Given the careers of the guys likely to be available as free agents to date, we shouldn't expect a Brees type resurgence at the position.  In fact, most of the guys likely to be available as free agents are mediocre.  Tyrod Taylor is probably the best of the group, but most Bills fans I've seen are less than enthused about him.  The Bills apparently aren't that crazy about him, either.  Cutler has been a coach killer everywhere he's been.  Unless someone like Cousins unexpectedly becomes available on the open market, we aren't likely to sign anyone that would be a satisfactory long or short term upgrade over Bortles.

The same holds true for the rookie class.  I am not opposed to drafting a QB this year in the mid rounds.  But even if we spent the #4 overall on a QB, chances are he will be far from a polished, finished NFL product on draft day.  Chances are, he will need work, time to learn the offense, time to learn NFL defenses and adjust to the game.  While rookie years like Big Ben, Ryan, Flacco, and Prescott are more common than they once were, they still represent the exception, not the rule.  The QB we draft may develop into a good pro in time, it's still folly to expect a rookie QB to come in and be the savior.

Fair enough, the discussion of BB should be left for another thread.

So first off, I personally don't think we should use our first round pick on a QB.  However, I have way more confidence in Coughlin figuring out who the BAP and best fit for this roster is.  Even more so than Caldwell.  So I'm not going to rule out us getting a QB in the 1st round.  Though it's clearly unlikely.

As for the free agent class, yeah, it's slim pickings.  But there are a few QBs that I think will be available that can compete with Bortles for the starting job.  That includes the Raider's QB, I forget his name...  But he was said to be a free agent during the telecast of the wildcard game.  Tyrod Taylor, as your example, is one I continued to use, NOT because I think he's a viable QB.  But because I think that based on what we saw from BB this year, Tyrod is of a similar caliber.  Which, if you think about it, is an indictment on how bad BB was last this past season.

The concern is this:  If we are keeping the coaching staff as is, then you're basically giving a tacit vote of confidence to BB.  You're basically saying that he will be the man this year in his contract year.  This to me is dangerous.  Not having a contingency for his potential (what I think is highly likely) failure is foley.

Do I think any QB that we acquire, either in Free Agency or the Draft, will be the answer as a "Franchise" QB?  Honestly--No.  But that doesn't mean we should not begin the process of looking and trying out players.  

As the great Michael Scott once quoted from something Wayne Gretzky heard Michael Jordan say, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

It's time to take shots.  Draft, develop, repeat.  That's gotta start right now.  And I think that bringing in a new HC, someone not within the Gus Bradley weed (instead of tree, get it?) would have made that a stronger possibility.

@SI_NFL The Jags haven't had a winning season since '07 so their big hire was all about ... continuity. (by@ChrisBurke_SI) https://t.co/jNJBxe0GCM? https://t.co/81cKSh7079

Exactly

Quote:@SI_NFL The Jags haven't had a winning season since '07 so their big hire was all about ... continuity. (by@ChrisBurke_SI) <a class="bbc_url" href='https://t.co/jNJBxe0GCM?'>https://t.co/jNJBxe0GCM?</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://t.co/81cKSh7079'>https://t.co/81cKSh7079</a>

Exactly

Yawnnn
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Different reports have come out saying that bortles bad delivery is a result of footwork, which he wasn't allowed to work on in the offseason because of Olson.

Add to that shaky footwork the tendinitis and separated shoulders and you can piece together yourself how bortles went from a stud in 2015 to average at best in 2016.

OK...  Well, I'm not gonna act like I'm some elite athlete.  But I've thrown a fooseball around a time or two.  The windup that BB5 has, the one in which he dips the ball down below his waste like an Egyptian hieroglyphic is not one the result of sloppy footwork, alone.

His windup is awful.  The ball should never get below his hip, much less his waiste when he's releasing the ball.  And that, in my opinion, is not a result of his footwork...

As for his seperated shoulders and tendinitis...  I heard about these stories that came up AFTER the season was over.  They seem kinda dubious.  But I guess they could have caused the destruction of his throwing motion.  I'm hoping that he's 100% healed then and can begin to work on his motion to look less like this:

[Image: 9s8FGN2.jpg]

And more like this:

[Image: b2015d055246093825fe6ee95d8a618b.jpg]

Quote:I usually agree with you Anchor, but I think that Bortles will play significantly better like he did last year. His medical issues, a porous offensive line and a nonexistent running game caused Bortles to shoulder ALL of the weight and do everything himself. 

The concern I have is that this is year three for BB5.  He took a major step backwards.  I hope I'm wrong about him.  Maybe it was the injuries...

But don't you think it's odd that they came up with the injury reasoning at the end of the season.  It just seems all too convenient, to me.  I hope he can turn things around during the off season.  But I think it's time to starting thinking of contingency plans, moving forward...

Here's the boys in the locker room. Then Coughlin walks in.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:@SI_NFL The Jags haven't had a winning season since '07 so their big hire was all about ... continuity. (by@ChrisBurke_SI) https://t.co/jNJBxe0GCM? https://t.co/81cKSh7079

Exactly
Have the Jags done anything ever that you liked?

Quote:Have the Jags done anything ever that you liked?

He hated 1996 because we didn't win the Super Bowl
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:He hated 1996 because we didn't win the Super Bowl
(Guy he likes unless the Jags hired him) would have totally won it all in '96!

Quote:Fair enough, the discussion of BB should be left for another thread.

So first off, I personally don't think we should use our first round pick on a QB.  However, I have way more confidence in Coughlin figuring out who the BAP and best fit for this roster is.  Even more so than Caldwell.  So I'm not going to rule out us getting a QB in the 1st round.  Though it's clearly unlikely.<sup> 1</sup>

As for the free agent class, yeah, it's slim pickings.  But there are a few QBs that I think will be available that can compete with Bortles for the starting job.  That includes the Raider's QB, I forget his name...  But he was said to be a free agent during the telecast of the wildcard game.  Tyrod Taylor, as your example, is one I continued to use, NOT because I think he's a viable QB.  But because I think that based on what we saw from BB this year, Tyrod is of a similar caliber.  Which, if you think about it, is an indictment on how bad BB was last this past season.<sup>2</sup>

The concern is this:  If we are keeping the coaching staff as is, then you're basically giving a tacit vote of confidence to BB.  You're basically saying that he will be the man this year in his contract year.  This to me is dangerous.  Not having a contingency for his potential (what I think is highly likely) failure is foley.

Do I think any QB that we acquire, either in Free Agency or the Draft, will be the answer as a "Franchise" QB?  Honestly--No.  But that doesn't mean we should not begin the process of looking and trying out players.  

As the great Michael Scott once quoted from something Wayne Gretzky heard Michael Jordan say, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

It's time to take shots.  Draft, develop, repeat.  That's gotta start right now.  And I think that bringing in a new HC, someone not within the Gus Bradley weed (instead of tree, get it?) would have made that a stronger possibility.
Given the probability the team will not take a QB high, and given the slim pickings of the free agency crop of QBs, isn't it possible, if not likely, a completely different coaching staff would still go with Bortles for 2017?

As far as draft and develop, Caldwell did draft a QB last year.  Give him time to develop, even if you have given up on Bortles.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Given the probability the team will not take a QB high, and given the slim pickings of the free agency crop of QBs, isn't it possible, if not likely, a completely different coaching staff would still go with Bortles for 2017?

As far as draft and develop, Caldwell did draft a QB last year.  Give him time to develop, even if you have given up on Bortles.

Well, of course.  The new coaching staff would be hamstrung with Bortles, as is the current coaching staff.  Apologies if I'm not making myself clear, but that wasn't really my point.

BB5 is the current starting QB.  My point is that a coach coming from the outside would not be so beholden to hang on to Bortles for an entire season if it became clear that he was not capable of being a competent QB.

A coach coming from the outside would also be more keen on driving competition and making sure there are reasonable alternatives to Bortles, because the new coach would not be tied to Bortles in the same manner that someone that is a Gus Bradley carryover would be.  

To me, that's the point.  Yeah, is it likely that whoever is brought in to compete may not win the starting job.  But the leash on Bortles would be significantly shorter under a coach that wasn't obligated to keep him around.

Look what happened with Gus last year and envision that happening in 2017.  By week 2 we all knew that Gus was dead weight that was destryong the team.  By week 8 (the tack TNF game) it was obvious that Gus had to go.  But the powers that be were beholden to keeping Gus around and thus, we wasted an entire season.

With this new development, I fear we will be wasting an entire season just to keep hope of Bortles turning it around alive.  That's the concern I have.  

Regarding TC, since, according to the T-U he now has final say over the final roster, I wonder what his approach to free agency will be.

When he first started building the Jaguars, the target free agent was 26 years old.

However, around '98-'2000, he started signing older guys like Paup, Lake, and Nickerson.

Given how young the team is, will he go with the 26 year old guys, or will he be more willing to go with older vets?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I like it.  I think Khan would have maybe liked to get McDaniels but I also have a feeling that McDaniels told them that he would not even consider taking the job unless they were willing to use our 1st round pick to bring Garoppolo over in a trade.  Khan and Caldwell were not willing to make that commitment and this was the second best option.

It looks like Khan thinks the team is close.  When TC interviewed it was said that Caldwell was not part of the interview.  I wonder if TC being offered the position above Caldwell is why.

I don't think there is a top five pick at QB in this draft.  I expect Chad Henne to be gone and someone who actually has the ability to be something other than a mentor/cheerleader will be brought in.

Bottom line, if you felt that this team was very close to winning a bunch of games this year and simply lacked the discipline and coaching experience to make that happen then you will like this move.  If you for some reason think that the whole thing needed to be blown up then you will dislike this move.

Shad Khan's plane is currently in New Jersey. Getting ready to bring the old ball coach back to his original home.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FSR4.../KCMI/KTEB
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Shad Khan's plane is currently in New Jersey. Getting ready to bring the old ball coach back to his original home.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FSR4.../KCMI/KTEB

That's cool... and kind of creepy

Quote:Shad: You ain't got no problems Dave, I'm on it. Go in there chill them players out and wait for the the Wolf, who should be coming directly.

Dave: You sendin' da Wolf?

Shad: you feel better?

Dave: Shaaaaad, Shad! Dats all you had to saaay!

You win lol

Quote:Have the Jags done anything ever that you liked?

Isn't the answer to that question overwhelmingly obvious?

Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

So what does Coughlin do with Bortles and the QB position? Supposedly hes not a fan of Blake.