Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BigCatCountry continues to try and prop up Alualu as a solid player

Quote:Like I said, Alualu is an average player. No, he wasn't a difference maker, he was just a fort-holder. I'm defending him because he doesn't deserve to be called "useless," when he has clearly contributed. 

Yes, as the 10th pick, he should have performed much much better, but at the very least we can say he is an average player, no more and no less.

Apart from all that, Alualu's given his all to the Jags, and I'll always appreciate that.

I've already admitted to Grady Jackson being a better player than Alualu, just not in his days in Jacksonville. He was older and not as effective as he used to be. And the team let Jackson walk, making no attempt to re-sign him. If he were so great at the time, they would've held onto him or at least made an attempt to hold onto him.
Then you'd still be wrong.

I'm sorry, but Grady Jackson's 9 games with the Jaguars is still more impressive than what Alualu has done here.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 04:46 AM by InmanRoshi.)

Quote:Bust - Draft position plays a big role in whether or not a player is a bust. Other than kickers, I wouldn't consider anyone drafted in rounds 6 or 7 a bust, and rounds 4 and 5 only if there was an obvious alternative pick who ended up better. There is a lot of expectation on top ten picks, and those who fall short are rightly labeled bust.

Useless - No player is useless. If nothing else, a player will provide someone for teammates to practice against. Being 'not useless' proves nothing.

Solid - I'd define 'solid' as an average starter. A backup is not solid unless he would be an average starter on another team.

Good Plays - For the defensive line, a stop late in the game that prevents a loss (stuffing a 4th and 1 play for example). Or a sack by beating the OL quickly (as opposed to a coverage sack, or one where the QB falls down or runs out of bounds and the defender just happened to be closest). Or blocking a pass, especially if it ends up being intercepted. The only good play I remember from Alualu was an impressive sack in his very first preseason game. Maybe you can share your memories of other good plays.

By your criteria, Red Bryant hasn't many many "good plays" in his career, and likely won't have many with the Jaguars

A good play for Bryant and Alualu is keeping Poz clean so he can make the tackle and have his name called.   Or allow the LEO to play overshifted in an exaggerated 9 and gain an angle on the tackle to provide blindside rush    without worrying about being exploited by the draw.   This is why it's nearly impossible to grade a 5 tech with stats or how often you heard his name called.   You grade them on a snap by snap basis   knowing specifically what his assignment was on the play    The people who do that professionally for the Jaguars have decided Alualu is worth keeping around for another year.  

Quote:By your criteria, Red Bryant hasn't many many "good plays" in his career, and likely won't have many with the Jaguars

A good play for Bryant and Alualu is keeping Poz clean so he can make the tackle and have his name called.   Or allow the LEO to play overshifted in an exaggerated 9 and gain an angle on the tackle to provide blindside rush    without worrying about being exploited by the draw.   This is why it's nearly impossible to grade a 5 tech with stats or how often you heard his name called.   You grade them on a snap by snap basis   knowing specifically what his assignment was on the play    The people who do that professionally for the Jaguars have decided Alualu is worth keeping around for another year.  

So far.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 07:26 AM by DewtheMathis.)

The Jaguars have shifted the former first-round draft pick from defensive tackle to defensive end, getting the 6-foot-3, 295-pound Hawaiian in a run-stopping role while allowing him to work in space. - ESPN May 2013 - link - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/927960...ensive-end

Alualu said. "I was a D-end in college in the 3-4 scheme, so it's very similar to that."

-----------------------------------------

December 2013

As Alualu has grown more comfortable with his new spot, the Jaguars have become a much better defense at stopping the run....

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...z34zME1goG

------------------------------------------

(Red Bryant & Tyson Alualu) Both play the five-technique defensive end role, which is primarily a run stopping position that sets the edge on the strong side of the defensive line. I don't think Alualu will be released anytime soon and if it comes, will likely be in training camp - BigCat Country

While Bryant and Alualu are defensive ends, neither is going to bring much of a pass rush nor would they be expected to in the current defensive scheme

-----------------------------

Red Bryant was moved from DT to DE in Seattle under DC Gus Bradley the same way Tyson Alualu was as HC Gus Bradley last season.

Bryant had struggled to find a role with the Seahawks and actually believed the move was a precursor to him being cut by the team. Instead, the move helped anchor the Seahawks’ defensive line as they became stronger against the run and developed into one of the top defenses in the league over the last few seasons -

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...nsive-end/

-------------------------------

the end position Alualu will play will be more focused on stopping the run than to be a pass rushing threat.

-----------------

Jaguars DE Tyson Alualu will be backup in 2014 after the team signed LE Red Bryant. -

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5873/player

Quote:If the tackles don't force turnovers or create long yardage situations or change momentum, etc., then no. 

He was drafted 10th overall.

Are we seriously arguing the relevance of his 31 tackles last year to justify his existence on the roster?

People on this board once used Pro football focus' website to imply that Derek Cox was better than or in any way comparable to Darrelle Revis.

Please don't make a similar mistake here.

No we're not.   But we're also not using his draft slot to determine if he's a bad player or not.  He had no decision over where he got drafted so you can't hold that against him.  He plays the 5 tech spot which is not a pass rushing spot.  Sorry if his play isn't glitzy enough for you but that's not his game.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM by NOIS.)

In his rookie year, the guy stuffed Tebow for a -1 yard play... really that's all I can remember about him.

No one is safe.

He doesn't play great run defense and brings little to the table as a pass rusher.  = Florida Times Union March 16th

Quote:The guy is a bust plain and simple.  You have the same apologist here who made up excuses for jdr, gene smith, etc.  I only hope the guy plays better.

Who's apologizing for him?

Yes, he has been disappointing and was both a reach and a bust.

I'd think that any sane person would hope he plays better.

That doesn't equate to him being "useless" and a so-called non contributor.

Draft status has a huge affect on perception, and it should.  You should get what you pay for.  A guy like Alualu who hasn't justified his first round selection is rightly deemed a disappointment, but a seventh round contributor like Rob Meier achieves folk hero status.

That doesn't mean he's not valuable in a rotational role.  And if they choose to keep him any longer, any compensation should reflect that.  But, it's up to him to earn it.  If he gets pushed down so far he gets cut, that's on him.

The bottom line is, he's certainly no Henderson or Stroud like you would expect from such a high pick, but he's no Derrick Harvey, either.  He has been useful, just not nearly as much as you'd expect from the selection.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Who's apologizing for him?

Draft status has a huge affect on perception, and it should.  You should get what you pay for.  A guy like Alualu who hasn't justified his first round selection is rightly deemed a disappointment, but a seventh round contributor like Rob Meier achieves folk hero status.

That doesn't mean he's not valuable in a rotational role.  And if they choose to keep him any longer, any compensation should reflect that.  But, it's up to him to earn it.  If he gets pushed down so far he gets cut, that's on him.

The bottom line is, he's certainly no Henderson or Stroud like you would expect from such a high pick, but he's no Derrick Harvey, either.  He has been useful, just not nearly as much as you'd expect from the selection.
He is not valuable in his role.  I don't even know if he is better than Harvey.  The guy is invisible on game day.  He sucks and will either be cut this year or next. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 07:06 PM by Redsky39.)

Quote:Then you'd still be wrong.

I'm sorry, but Grady Jackson's 9 games with the Jaguars is still more impressive than what Alualu has done here.

Which is why Jacksonville let Jackson leave at the end of the season, not even attempting to bring him back in, correct?

Quote:By your criteria, Red Bryant hasn't many many "good plays" in his career, and likely won't have many with the Jaguars

I have no idea whether or not Red Bryant had many good plays (using my definition) in the past. We'll see what happens with the Jags.

However, I was not just referring to last year. Alualu had three years where his role wasn't just to take up blockers, three years where he had the opportunity to make lots of good plays. That's if he had any value beyond just being a large warm body. Even Derrick Harvey usually held the edge against the run and took up blockers.

Once again, please list some good plays he made. Feel free to use his whole career, not just 2013.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Which is why Jacksonville let Jackson leave at the end of the season, not even attempting to bring him back in, correct?

Grady Jackson had off-field problems. That doesn't change the fact that he played very well when he was here.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 07:47 PM by Joe.)

Quote:Who's apologizing for him?

Draft status has a huge affect on perception, and it should. You should get what you pay for. A guy like Alualu who hasn't justified his first round selection is rightly deemed a disappointment, but a seventh round contributor like Rob Meier achieves folk hero status.

That doesn't mean he's not valuable in a rotational role. And if they choose to keep him any longer, any compensation should reflect that. But, it's up to him to earn it. If he gets pushed down so far he gets cut, that's on him.

The bottom line is, he's certainly no Henderson or Stroud like you would expect from such a high pick, but he's no Derrick Harvey, either. He has been useful, just not nearly as much as you'd expect from the selection.
Tell me.... why isnt Alualu a Derrick Harvey? He is just as invisible on game day.

Lol this thread is 10 pages long and people still cant think of a good play Alualu has made.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014, 05:58 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Tell me.... why isnt Alualu a Derrick Harvey? He is just as invisible on game day.

Lol this thread is 10 pages long and people still cant think of a good play Alualu has made.

Wait dude... he is a family man.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014, 09:52 PM by Redsky39.)

Quote:Grady Jackson had off-field problems. That doesn't change the fact that he played very well when he was here.

His off the field problems occurred in Atlanta in 08'.

He played a very limited role in Jax. I wouldn't call that, "very well." That's pretty ridiculous.

Either way no sense on keep beating the guy down.  He is what he is so I will root for him as long as he continues to be a Jag.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Alualu was a starter because Gene Smith drafted him and Gene Smith made sure there was no DT on the roster to beat him out. Last year he was moved to DE, and one again there was no better alternative. In his play he's been about equal to Derek Landri. Gene cut Landri and then spent a 1st round pick on the same player.

Player's like Alualu change teams rather frequently, and when you draft such a player instead of just picking one up as a street free agent the you've wasted a draft pick. If he's not a bust merely because he managed to stay on the field ... well that's a rather generous take on it.
Landri got some pretty big sacks at times (i.e. pittsburgh in the playoffs). I can't even remember any Alualu sack other than Tebow, and I only remember Tebow cause the board was weting itself about that. I don't think Alualu is better than Landri. I am not sure he is even as good, but at least its an appropriate comparison.

Agree completely about the only reason him starting is because Gene left the team completely devoid of talent, and never drafted anymore linemen.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Now the arguement is starting to change.  People have begun to show that Alualu is solid, can hold his position, and make his presence known...and now all the sudden its about creating pressure and forcing fumbles.
How exactly does he hold his position, I would bet dollars to donuts that he has basically NO tackles for a loss, and that offenses average over 4 yards a carry towards him. No one said he never tackles, he just doesn't tackle in a impactful manner. I.e. before he lets his man make a huge gain.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:I think the better word for Alualu in relation to his draft position is MISS, not BUST. Bust would mean 0 production and now washing jock straps on the west coast, Miss would be probably over drafted and never has emerged into a premiere player but still has some value
I guess Ryan Leaf was a MISS too, and Jamarcus Russell, and Gabbert....

I was gonna post a link to Carlos Mencia Lower the Standard here, but it has a lot more language than I remembered. But if you youtube that and ignore the cussing, the point is pretty much made what the real problem is with this discussion.

Quote:He is not valuable in his role.  I don't even know if he is better than Harvey.  The guy is invisible on game day.  He sucks and will either be cut this year or next. 

Harvey played a different position with a completely different role.  You're still not understanding this.