Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell done?

(10-15-2018, 11:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 10:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: #1 - It's too bad about Fragile Fred Lame Leonard and how his career is over already.

#2 - I'm so impressed with RG3 Pat Mahomes we should just put him in the Hall right now.
I understand the point you're trying to make but RG3 and Mahomes couldn't be more different.

But..but they're both black! They must be the same!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 11:40 AM by JackCity.)

If the jags scored 2 extra field goals against the titans do you know how many people would be in here calling for Caldwells head? Zero.

That's not to say Caldwell hasn't made awful decisions, he has, just it gets old crying about firing everyone after every loss.

(10-15-2018, 11:22 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote: The last two games have exposed the Jaguars.  They've been figured out.  All I ask is to be competitive and show effort.  I have not seen much of either of these in the last four games.
Can anyone make an in-game adjustment?  Yesterday it was clear that zone coverage wasnt working, yet they never adjusted.  Wash, Hackett, Marrone, all the coaches failed.  
Yesterday looked like 2016.  One plus, I was able to cut my lawn during the second half.

Claims they didn't make adjustments...

Didn't watch second half...

Seems legit. 

(they actually did play a bit more man coverage in the second half, but it was too little too late and Linehan had an answer for that too)

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM by Rockman1966.)

(10-15-2018, 12:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 11:22 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote: The last two games have exposed the Jaguars.  They've been figured out.  All I ask is to be competitive and show effort.  I have not seen much of either of these in the last four games.
Can anyone make an in-game adjustment?  Yesterday it was clear that zone coverage wasnt working, yet they never adjusted.  Wash, Hackett, Marrone, all the coaches failed.  
Yesterday looked like 2016.  One plus, I was able to cut my lawn during the second half.

Claims they didn't make adjustments...

Seems legit. 

(they actually did play a bit more man coverage in the second half, but it was too little too late and Linehan had an answer for that too)

My adjustment comment relates to every game I watched. Full game or half of a game. Geez....

Caldwell has made some good/great moves.

His fatal mistake may be twofold; hitching the wagon to bortles, then passing on Mahomes.

As Vic used to say, your married to your QB. You could hit a home run on every other pick, but if you fail at QB, especially in today’s league, you may be doomed.

(10-15-2018, 12:18 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 12:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Claims they didn't make adjustments...

Seems legit. 

My adjustment comment relates to every game I watched.  Full game or half of a game.  Geez....

I was giving you a hard time, geez....

It is kinda funny to complain about adjustments and then say you didn't watch the second half, no? 
I thought it was.

(10-15-2018, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 10:18 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Caldwell has made some great moves (Jack, Yannick, free agents Campbell, Bouye, Jackson, etc) and some terrible moves (Bortles, Gus Bradley, etc), but after yesterday's games I would say his absolutely worst move was taking Fournette over Mahomes in the 2017 draft. How would this team's future look with Mahomes as the quarterback? Fournette played very well last year, but it sure looks like his history of injuries will never allow us to count on him. On the other hand, franchise quarterbacks like Mahomes do not come around very often and Caldwell really blew it by passing on him.

The vast majority of the football world had Mahomes as a "project pick" going mid to late first round to a team that could afford to sit him. 

While I openly questioned the Fournette pick and liked Mahomes over the other QBs in that class, I would have thought he'd be there in a trade down in the teens. 
He wasn't.  

Might look smarter to compliment the chefs for being hip to the pick -  rather than calling out Caldwell and virtually every other QB needy GM for missing that one. Not many saw that coming.
That is a fair comment. The Chiefs deserve tremendous credit for selecting Mahomes when they already had a solid quarterback in Smith. That being said, Caldwell and the other q.b. needy teams who passed on Mahomes are all likely kicking themselves now. Caldwell obviously has placed his future as the team's GM in Bortles' hands. He has stood by him time and time again despite Blake's frustrating inconsistency. Unless things turn around very quickly, I expect both Bortles and Caldwell to be gone after this season. It's a shame, because he does have amazing toughness and durability.

(10-15-2018, 07:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It is time for Tom and Shad to cut the head off of the snake.The usual suspects will continue to make excuses for Caldwell, but the man is not good at his job.

In 5 years, this man has managed to field an offensive roster that can't overcome a 10 point deficit without luck.

Why am I not surprised it was you who dug this thread up? lol

Just wondering... if Coughlin is the mastermind... why'd he allow Caldwell to continue to make poor decisions.

(Norwell signing sure does seem like a Coughlin move, signing a DL guy to add to the heavy rotation does too, perhaps you put too much of Caldwell?)
If TC was so against, say... extending Blake, why wouldn't he veto the move?

I think if you're talking about firing folks, maybe old [BLEEP] Tom is washed up eh? Maybe he should go too?

(10-15-2018, 12:38 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The vast majority of the football world had Mahomes as a "project pick" going mid to late first round to a team that could afford to sit him. ...

Not many saw that coming.
That is a fair comment. The Chiefs deserve tremendous credit for selecting Mahomes when they already had a solid quarterback in Smith. That being said, Caldwell and the other q.b. needy teams who passed on Mahomes are all likely kicking themselves now. Caldwell obviously has placed his future as the team's GM in Bortles' hands. He has stood by him time and time again despite Blake's frustrating inconsistency. Unless things turn around very quickly, I expect both Bortles and Caldwell to be gone after this season. It's a shame, because he does have amazing toughness and durability.

Yeah - I think it's a shame that Bortles can't seem to get in a groove of consistency long enough to make him worth his current contract. Was hoping he would. And I know the line isn't helping matters this year.  

I also think it's a shame that the good things Caldwell is done will likely be overshadowed by the Bortles pick and sticking by it. 

Anyway - I'm hoping the Jags go after a QB next year regardless of who the GM is and I hope the O-Line is their next priority. 

Even if Bortles strings together some good games down the stretch, I'd be looking to use the out clause in his contract after 2019. Best to have his replacement in house and ready to go by then if not sooner. 

If Bortles shocks the world and really gets hot during that span of time, you've got a trade bait QB to gather picks with.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM by Kane.)

Are we really looking for blood because the team extended a QB that was playing very good football in the AFCCG? I mean, teams a duped all the time (Average Joe turned a SB run into millions upon millions himself)
The OL is down to its 3rd LT (which usually is trouble for any team) No one is 3 deep at LT.
The RB is hurt (but everyone was on his jock when he was running people over last year)
Everyone loved all the signings when we were winning and now, its trash this trash that....

Eh... typical board fan reaction for the typical folks to a really bad loss. But damn.

(10-15-2018, 12:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 12:38 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: That is a fair comment. The Chiefs deserve tremendous credit for selecting Mahomes when they already had a solid quarterback in Smith. That being said, Caldwell and the other q.b. needy teams who passed on Mahomes are all likely kicking themselves now. Caldwell obviously has placed his future as the team's GM in Bortles' hands. He has stood by him time and time again despite Blake's frustrating inconsistency. Unless things turn around very quickly, I expect both Bortles and Caldwell to be gone after this season. It's a shame, because he does have amazing toughness and durability.

Yeah - I think it's a shame that Bortles can't seem to get in a groove of consistency long enough to make him worth his current contract. Was hoping he would. And I know the line isn't helping matters this year.  

I also think it's a shame that the good things Caldwell is done will likely be overshadowed by the Bortles pick and sticking by it. 

Anyway - I'm hoping the Jags go after a QB next year regardless of who the GM is and I hope the O-Line is their next priority. 

Even if Bortles strings together some good games down the stretch, I'd be looking to use the out clause in his contract after 2019. Best to have his replacement in house and ready to go by then if not sooner. 

If Bortles shocks the world and really gets hot during that span of time, you've got a trade bait QB to gather picks with.

Fully agree.
If we land with the 20ish pick (which is actually being optimistic at this point imo) we'll be in position to move up if need be.
There are a couple good QB prospects coming out this year. A move must be made this draft, early. But OL should be addressed hard and heavy. FA, 2nd and 3rd round.
RG and RT are definite needs. Maybe Cam slides to RT post-injury and we get a LT (but the really good LTs tend to be top draft selections where we may want a QB)

If this season ends up in the dumps (eliminated from playoffs early) I could see Caldwell being cut loose.
But I get this feeling a lot of fans will be mad this off season when sweeping changes aren't made because of recent success, the fallacy of continuity, and the injury excuse.
If we make the playoffs and are 1 and done. Would Khan want to, or need to even, pull the plug or make changes?

(10-15-2018, 12:50 PM)Kane Wrote: Are we really looking for blood because the team extended a QB that was playing very good football in the AFCCG? I mean, teams a duped all the time (Average Joe turned a SB run into millions upon millions himself)
The OL is down to its 3rd LT (which usually is trouble for any team) No one is 3 deep at LT.
The RB is hurt (but everyone was on his jock when he was running people over last year)
Everyone loved all the signings when we were winning and now, its trash this trash that....

Eh... typical board fan reaction for the typical folks to a really bad loss. But damn.

(10-15-2018, 12:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah - I think it's a shame that Bortles can't seem to get in a groove of consistency long enough to make him worth his current contract. Was hoping he would. And I know the line isn't helping matters this year.  

Fully agree.
If we land with the 20ish pick (which is actually being optimistic at this point imo) we'll be in position to move up if need be.
There are a couple good QB prospects coming out this year. A move must be made this draft, early. But OL should be addressed hard and heavy. FA, 2nd and 3rd round.
RG and RT are definite needs. Maybe Cam slides to RT post-injury and we get a LT (but the really good LTs tend to be top draft selections where we may want a QB)

If this season ends up in the dumps (eliminated from playoffs early) I could see Caldwell being cut loose.
But I get this feeling a lot of fans will be mad this off season when sweeping changes aren't made because of recent success, the fallacy of continuity, and the injury excuse.
If we make the playoffs and are 1 and done. Would Khan want to, or need to even, pull the plug or make changes?

I, for one, don’t think Caldwell merits firing, barring a complete season meltdown; even then, it’s a toss up. 

I will say that this franchise was in the exact same situation, or at least close, before with Garrard; plays well, has a great game against the Patriots, then they hand him the keys to the family car. We all know the end result. So you’d think they would have been a bit gun shy on doing such again with bortles but again, nothing can be done at the moment.  The one saving grace is that they structured the  contract so as not to destroy our cap too much should we have to cut bait.

(10-15-2018, 11:36 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 11:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I understand the point you're trying to make but RG3 and Mahomes couldn't be more different.

But..but they're both black! They must be the same!

[Image: best-quizzical-dog.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-15-2018, 12:57 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 12:50 PM)Kane Wrote: Are we really looking for blood because the team extended a QB that was playing very good football in the AFCCG? I mean, teams a duped all the time (Average Joe turned a SB run into millions upon millions himself)

Fully agree.

I, for one, don’t think Caldwell merits firing, barring a complete season meltdown; even then, it’s a toss up. 

I will say that this franchise was in the exact same situation, or at least close, before with Garrard; plays well, has a great game against the Patriots, then they hand him the keys to the family car. We all know the end result. So you’d think they would have been a bit gun shy on doing such again with bortles but again, nothing can be done at the moment.  The one saving grace is that they structured the  contract so as not to destroy our cap too much should we have to cut bait.
This front office didn't do it with Garrard.
Every team makes knee jerk reactions to the QB position. Because it is the most important. So I can't blame them for drafting a guy like Bortles because of something they thought he could be... and I don't blame them for giving him a semi-team friendly deal because it looked like he finally had turned a corner so to speak.
It's like an offensive lineman getting a holding penalty... its an effort thing.

BUT
we can put some pressure on the front office for paying an OG huge money when we passed on OGs in this years draft and the previous year.
also... not addressing QB at all outside of Kessler? really? (Tanner Lee doesn't count)

I think more flack should be directed to the coaching staff than the FO though.
It seems like injuries caused them to panic on offense and on defense... its like Wash said "OK I did it my way and it didn't work, so I did it your way and it worked, but I wanna try it my way again now that we got some better guys on D"
Screw your stupid zone crap Wash. Man up!

(10-15-2018, 12:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 12:38 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: That is a fair comment. The Chiefs deserve tremendous credit for selecting Mahomes when they already had a solid quarterback in Smith. That being said, Caldwell and the other q.b. needy teams who passed on Mahomes are all likely kicking themselves now. Caldwell obviously has placed his future as the team's GM in Bortles' hands. He has stood by him time and time again despite Blake's frustrating inconsistency. Unless things turn around very quickly, I expect both Bortles and Caldwell to be gone after this season. It's a shame, because he does have amazing toughness and durability.

I could definitely see the Jaguars taking a quarterback in rounds 1 or 2 next year. Daniel Jones or Ryan Finley are possibilities depending on how high their stock goes up in the "post-season." Regardless, they need to draft another offensive tackle in the top 3 rounds. Richardson must not be impressing the coaching staff yet or he'd be playing by now. Even if he does improve, you never can have enough depth on the offensive line as this season has demonstrated.

(10-15-2018, 12:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 12:18 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: My adjustment comment relates to every game I watched.  Full game or half of a game.  Geez....

I was giving you a hard time, geez....

It is kinda funny to complain about adjustments and then say you didn't watch the second half, no? 
I thought it was.

https://youtu.be/E84VqqCPI7w

"I'm funny how, I mean like I'm a clown..." Geez

(10-15-2018, 03:34 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 12:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I was giving you a hard time, geez....

I thought it was.

"I'm funny how, I mean like I'm a clown..." Geez

You said it, not me. Go get yer shinebox.

He's not done, but I said many times over the offseason that easy mode got turned off for Dave...and so far he's struggling to adjust to the new difficulty.

And I'm not passing judgement on this years draft class yet whatsoever, but this FA class has been an unmitigated disaster. And the purse strings are only going to get tighter and tighter going forward.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 04:52 PM by Caldrac.)

I think what's happening this year is that the front office finally believed that they had jussst enough offense to compliment this defense going into 2018. That's why they only invested a little bit more on that side by adding in Norwell and Sefarian-Jenkins. Norwell has had his up's and down's so far. Jenkins was already hurt going into the regular season.

They were hoping Fournette would hold up. They were hoping Lee would hold up. They didn't plan on being down to a 3rd string left tackle. They didn't plan on having to sign two RB's nearly half way into the season off the street. [BLEEP] happens. All we can hope for now is that this coaching staff finds a way to keep us afloat or at least hovering around .500 until they can get some of their pieces back or bolster it through film study and practice.

This season reeks of 2006 all over again though. Where we were coming off a big, big season and the expectations were all there and then they followed it up with an 8 - 8 season after coming off a 12 - 4 run the year before. They were hoping the pieces they added would be enough but now it's biting us pretty heavily pretty much due to all of the unexpected injuries.

Now us passing up on Sony Michel or another offensive lineman there for Taven "Bambi" Bryan is starting to look even worse under the microscope.

I know the MSM is calling for Bortles' head but honestly who else is out there? Eli Manning wouldn't last behind this offensive line. He has ODB, Barkley, Sterling and Ingram on offense and he still can't do enough. He would flat line behind this offensive line. If fans want to see Kessler? Go for it. He may or may not pan out. He looked good in the pre season against scrubs. It's a different ball game now when you're talking starters and mid season football.

And he would be handed the same exact offense that Bortles has had now.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

So this week, Caldwell is the one running the show again?.. Interesting....

(10-15-2018, 04:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote: So this week, Caldwell is the one running the show again?.. Interesting....

I know right.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."