Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Robinson to the Jets

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2022, 10:21 AM by CTEisREAL.)

Etienne is not gonna hold up. Getting rid of JRob is not a smart move if you want to challenge TN. He always gave that defense trouble.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-25-2022, 08:16 AM)RicoTx Wrote: So what happened to all the people that said Pederson was the right choice?  LOL

Yeah, it's not like we've been in every game and could have won 2 or 3 more games with a better QB.

Also, love how Baalke is the new Caldwell, nothing is ever his fault, it was all Meyer and now Pederson... as predicted  Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

He's replaceable. I'd rather have a power guy or a one cut home run hitter to spell Etienne.
Etienne does everything better, maybe not pass pro but he can certainly grow into it.
JR just doesnt have a role in the way Pederson wants to play offense

If JRs touches continued to go down, then no one is really going to tender something of value as a RFA
By everything I've seen, with a now proven healthy Etienne, theres no reason to give JR touches unless its to spell him. Giving him spell touches is only going to drive his value down.

Instead they got what they could now

(10-25-2022, 07:53 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Tells me they already know this season

Hope Jrob gets a decent 2nd contract hard life for RB even harder for udfa RB. His prime years he's playing for pennies

2.25 mil is pennies?  I get what you are saying but it's not what I would call pennies

(10-25-2022, 10:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Hope Jrob gets a decent 2nd contract hard life for RB even harder for udfa RB. His prime years he's playing for pennies

2.25 mil is pennies?  I get what you are saying but it's not what I would call pennies

$2.2 million over 3 years.  That's pennies in NFL terms.

(10-25-2022, 10:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

The Tacks let Donta Foreman go for nothing, and saved up 1.5M in their cap roster to only turn around and have Panthers sign him for 2.5M last offseason.

Not sure if that was a good idea in their part. This situation is pretty identicial.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2022, 11:28 AM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-25-2022, 08:16 AM)RicoTx Wrote: So what happened to all the people that said Pederson was the right choice?  LOL

He is.

No point in getting rid of an offensive minded head coach that appears to have the offense going in the right direction.   Fumbles and missed throws aside, the Jags have a very good attack even if Robinson isn't here.

The defense needs to be addressed with players.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(10-25-2022, 10:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-24-2022, 10:40 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: I may be new to the Jags, but this doesn't seem like a good take.

And if I'm being honest, what I've seen of Robinson THIS season...his vision to hit the hole isn't that good (not as bad as ETN though) and he doesn't have any real burst.

I didn't have the opportunity to see Robinson when he may have been good, so I don't see how this is bad for the Jaguars.

this is the worst attempt at overreaction I've seen.
Learn from the others, they are seasoned veterans at this stage in their posting lives.

(10-24-2022, 10:51 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Even if ETN gets injured, I don't see why you feel this way after watching the last 6 games.   Please explain what THIS version of Robinson gives you the feeling that he's valuable this season.

Plain and simple, as we've seen over the past few weeks, if ETN gets hurt, it's the Jamychal Hasty show. I don't understand how everyone else has been blind to this.

If ETN gets hurt then we were already screwed because Robinson hasn't been doing anything

(10-25-2022, 10:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm a staunch "don't spend draft capital or big money on the RB guy."

But I also don't see the point of scuttling a bird in hand for a 6th round pick.

The knee situation being worse than alluded to is the way this makes the most sense to me and if that's true, he won't pass a physical. So it must be scheme.
He has shown plenty of burst on the achilles repair. Seems obvious to me they relegated him to the "tough yards" plays the past 3 games or so and began featuring ETN in the stuff with space being created by motion/smoke &mirrors etc.
Early in the season they both got carries from that page of the rushing play book. Something changed.
Many are looking at stats and saying JR fell off of a cliff, when it looked to me much more about the way he was used and the situational usage.
Clearly he wasn't a scheme fit, and they don't value JR's page of the playbook very much.

I think he's got plenty left in the tank if the knee is something he gets past quickly.

He seemed worth waiting out offers in restricted free agency to me. The trade just feels wholly unnecessary with little return.

That said - Good RBs are found every offseason in late rounds and UDFA  - and I like that method of acquisition. The thing is - we already had one and now we have to roll the dice again for one that Pederson likes better.
I get it but wait till when? after the trade deadline closes?.... Wait till the end of the season and then nobody takes him in a trade... For exactly what? What he got traded for now a fifth or a sixth... You weren't going to get anything more for him than that... Now or 3 months from now....then he walks as a free agent and you get nothing.... And we don't know if he wanted to get traded... there's a lot to the story and a lot of things behind the scenes that we don't know... maybe it is injuries...

(10-25-2022, 12:46 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 10:02 AM)Mikey Wrote: this is the worst attempt at overreaction I've seen.
Learn from the others, they are seasoned veterans at this stage in their posting lives.

Plain and simple, as we've seen over the past few weeks, if ETN gets hurt, it's the Jamychal Hasty show. I don't understand how everyone else has been blind to this.

If ETN gets hurt then we were already screwed because Robinson hasn't been doing anything

Where is this coming from? 

Robinson was still averaging 4.20 yards a carry despite having games with lower usage than Etienne. Is it better than Etiennes YPA? No. Was it “not doing anything” also no. 

I would have preferred to try and have a doubleheader rushing attack and get the compensatory pick if he walked  but that’s not Pederson’s style. 

But to say he was suddenly doing nothing is a bit disingenuous

Pretty much over it on my end. It was obvious what direction this offense was going in with Etienne for weeks now. Robinson was hitting the market next year. You have a first round pick invested in Etienne. You cannot fault Pederson nor Baalke here for making this decision.

It makes sense on paper. It makes business sense. Doesn't matter what we think or feel Robinson's value is. Ultimately the running back position is not valued the way it used to be in the NFL because we're simply not in that throwback era anymore where running it 40 times per game is cool.

Factor in the injuries, it's a hard sell. All we can do is move forward as a fanbase and just hope like hell that everybody stays healthy from the RB room and, again, winning cures all. Nobody is going to give two [BLEEP] and a solid [BLEEP] if this team starts winning again. Denver. That's winnable. Las Vegas. That's winnable. Everything else remaining on the schedule after that is going to be tough.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-25-2022, 01:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Pretty much over it on my end. It was obvious what direction this offense was going in with Etienne for weeks now. Robinson was hitting the market next year. You have a first round pick invested in Etienne. You cannot fault Pederson nor Baalke here for making this decision.

It makes sense on paper. It makes business sense. Doesn't matter what we think or feel Robinson's value is. Ultimately the running back position is not valued the way it used to be in the NFL because we're simply not in that throwback era anymore where running it 40 times per game is cool.

Factor in the injuries, it's a hard sell. All we can do is move forward as a fanbase and just hope like hell that everybody stays healthy from the RB room and, again, winning cures all. Nobody is going to give two [BLEEP] and a solid [BLEEP] if this team starts winning again. Denver. That's winnable. Las Vegas. That's winnable. Everything else remaining on the schedule after that is going to be tough.
It's essentially doing JRob a favor. Who knows. Maybe he was going to be benched in favor of Snoop anyway.

Hasty has some juice. We know ETN has juice so let's see what Snoop has. 

Just please get this team some outside receivers. Zay isn't it (although it was nice for a hot second) and Marvin is old. Young blood on the outside.

I think jags are ranked 5th on offense right now. I cant complian about the wrs. We are just seeing their potential about to take off "old" or younger. I still domt like this trade and it's funny how high people around here were about james Robinson but now it's ok that the jags only got a throw away pick for him. Lmao

Oh well.

(10-25-2022, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 01:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Pretty much over it on my end. It was obvious what direction this offense was going in with Etienne for weeks now. Robinson was hitting the market next year. You have a first round pick invested in Etienne. You cannot fault Pederson nor Baalke here for making this decision.

It's essentially doing JRob a favor. Who knows. Maybe he was going to be benched in favor of Snoop anyway.

Hasty has some juice. We know ETN has juice so let's see what Snoop has. 

Just please get this team some outside receivers. Zay isn't it (although it was nice for a hot second) and Marvin is old. Young blood on the outside.
Getting the seasons we got from JRob as a UDFA and netting a 6th from him when he likely walks next year is not terrible. Though I probably would have preferred to use him as our 2 in the 1-2 punch. Maybe they want speed and more speed with Hasty and ETN and JRobs YAC and YPC didn't matter to them.

As per the WRs
Even if it were just a top 15 first round wr to pair with zay and Kirk next year I'd feel better. MJJ can still make some good catches but it's a young man's game.

Honestly, my 2 cents, I think Pederson is doing a decent job with what he has to work with.

This team needs an upgrade at the reciever position, and until we get it, might be doomed to the cellar until it happens.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(10-25-2022, 12:52 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 10:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm a staunch "don't spend draft capital or big money on the RB guy."

But I also don't see the point of scuttling a bird in hand for a 6th round pick.

The knee situation being worse than alluded to is the way this makes the most sense to me and if that's true, he won't pass a physical. So it must be scheme.
He has shown plenty of burst on the achilles repair. Seems obvious to me they relegated him to the "tough yards" plays the past 3 games or so and began featuring ETN in the stuff with space being created by motion/smoke &mirrors etc.
Early in the season they both got carries from that page of the rushing play book. Something changed.
Many are looking at stats and saying JR fell off of a cliff, when it looked to me much more about the way he was used and the situational usage.
Clearly he wasn't a scheme fit, and they don't value JR's page of the playbook very much.

I think he's got plenty left in the tank if the knee is something he gets past quickly.

He seemed worth waiting out offers in restricted free agency to me. The trade just feels wholly unnecessary with little return.

That said - Good RBs are found every offseason in late rounds and UDFA  - and I like that method of acquisition. The thing is - we already had one and now we have to roll the dice again for one that Pederson likes better.
I get it but wait till when? after the trade deadline closes?.... Wait till the end of the season and then nobody takes him in a trade... For exactly what? What he got traded for now a fifth or a sixth... You weren't going to get anything more for him than that... Now or 3 months from now....then he walks as a free agent and you get nothing.... And we don't know if he wanted to get traded... there's a lot to the story and a lot of things behind the scenes that we don't know... maybe it is injuries...

Go look up restricted free agency and get back to me - he doesn't get to just "walk"

The scheme fit is the only thing that makes sense to me

Welp, he’s gone and is never coming back. So long, James. We appreciate your contribution.

Time to move on.

(10-25-2022, 12:54 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 12:46 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: If ETN gets hurt then we were already screwed because Robinson hasn't been doing anything

Where is this coming from? 

Robinson was still averaging 4.20 yards a carry despite having games with lower usage than Etienne. Is it better than Etiennes YPA? No. Was it “not doing anything” also no. 

I would have preferred to try and have a doubleheader rushing attack and get the compensatory pick if he walked  but that’s not Pederson’s style. 

But to say he was suddenly doing nothing is a bit disingenuous

Over the past 4 games he's averaging 25 yards a game. Think about bellyaching over the loss of 25 yards a game. I don't care about YPA. He ain't getting any A.

If JRob was an RFA and we chose not to offer a tender, he is excluded from Comp Pick consideration.

And yeah, Sunday he had 0 runs, 0 catches, that sounds a whole heckuva lot like nothing.

Having had some time to consider the move, it's not really the disaster it appears. Let's face it, Pederson has a mentality that giving the backs more than 20 attempts a game is overkill anyway and Hasty can spell ETN for 5 or so touches a game.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-25-2022, 02:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Having had some time to consider the move, it's not really the disaster it appears. Let's face it, Pederson has a mentality that giving the backs more than 20 attempts a game is overkill anyway and Hasty can spell ETN for 5 or so touches a game.

Basically. ETN has done more with his carries over the last three weeks than Robinson did. It was a matter of scheme and who was going to give you the most bang for your buck per attempt. ETN wins that category. 

There's a reason you invested a 1st RD pick in him to begin with and that was why. It was business at the end of the day but it's not like ETN was neck and neck with Robinson. There's clearly a difference in speed and big play ability between the two. 

In fairness to Robinson. He's not fully back from his injury yet and it was incredible what he did all off season to get to where he is now. He fits the mold up there for the Jets. I wish him the best. Just not against us in December.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."