Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Would You Feel if the Jaguars Don't Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd?

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM by HiggyJ15.)

Quote:I think the Senior bowl is great for the 1-on-1 matchups.  DE vs. OT etc.... I hope Bradley finds a LEO in the senior bowl (Dee Ford maybe?)
Ford could potentially fit the LEO perfectly, he's fast and has a hell of a motor on him. I think he's exactly the kind of player Bradley and Caldwell are looking for

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jimmy Garappolo is my new fave.

Quote:Lol, if there is any QB in this entire draft that would be a horrible developmental QB it is McCarron. He is as close to his ceiling has any QB in the draft. He ain't developing any more, what we've seen is what he is...and what he is is subpar. 

He looked pretty good in the Iron Bowl game...  Any ways, I'm no scout and I don't claim to have seen every snap of the guy.  But he looked way above sup-par in that game.  He made 2 huge throws deep that were pin-point when the Tide was pinned deep in there half of the field that looked better than any deep ball I've seen from the caveman...  Those two passes had great touch and were clutch throws when the team needed it.  

I'm not saying you're wrong about McCarron, but like I said, he looked really good in that game.  As this topic discusses, if we don't pick a QB early, would I be upset.  I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't mind getting a gamer like he appeared to be in that game later in the draft.

With the way I see the top of the draft going down I think clowney is going to be the pick if the jags stay at 3.

I think texans take a qb unless they flat out don't like any of the top guys - possible, but very unlikely.

I would be shocked if the rams pick #2. I think they trade it to the browns/raiders/Vikings who want to jump the jags and/or browns for a qb. It's also possible somebody would trade up here for clowney but I think it's less likely.

If that happens, then the jags have their choice of the third qb on the board, or arguably the best non-qb prospect since Calvin. It's possible that the jags love the qb available and think he's a franchise guy in which case sure, take him, but I feel like clowney is the more likely option.

So to answer the question, the best scenario for us is to see the jags take a qb because it means that they think there's a qb worth taking. However, if they don't, rest assured that there will be plenty of other talented players to choose from. This year shattered the previous record for underclassmen declaring. It will be a deep, talented draft and the jaguars have at least 10 picks. Just watch and enjoy.

Why does people want a DE at the number 3 pick? Get the QB and move on with this rebuilding project.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:If we don't draft one in the 1st or 2nd round you can be assured we'll have the top pick the next draft and that might be a better option with Winston possibly coming out.

Regards.................the Chiefjag
 Sorry Chiefjag if you feel there is no talent with QB prospects, but this year could have the most underrated QB talent  in a very long time.

Just reading all these posts from multiple people and with everyone responding that the QB crop is very thin this year, I feel they don't get it. I feel with people wanting to think that the "Good" QB prospects are only: Manziel, Bortles, and Bridgewater, can be very foolish. Manziel will be a star, Bortles has Blaine Gabbert written all over him, and Bridgewater reminds me of another Daunte Culpepper; good for 4 years and then just disappears.

I am surprized that there are others who beleive in Mettenberger and Murray, they will both be steals. I don't like Fales, just does not have that flash, but was a good system QB. He may be considered "Fools Gold", just like Dan LeFevour (I liked him too TMD, don't worry).

McCarron I think would be a great QB too, just not for Jacksonville. He reminds me alot of Ryan Mallett, and Mallett will succeed if he has enough tools to succeed (great o-line, great wr's, great te).

When it comes to Jacksonville, my gut feeling is either Murray or Boyd and both of them will be very successful. Both have to tools to succeed and do very well. They don't get enough "Eye Candy Respect" because both are seniors and both are under the standard QB height (6'1). Boyd has to trust his QB instincts more, and people need to understand that a torn ACL does not end Aaron Murray's career.

That is my 2 cents on this topic.

P.S. I know this is off topic, but don't be surpirzed if Walter Thurmond III becomes a Jaguar, just a gut feeling and he looks like a Dave & Gus guy.

Quote:Why does people want a DE at the number 3 pick? Get the QB and move on with this rebuilding project.
Because he is the top overall talent in the Draft. Joeckel was last year's top overall prospect. For Jacksonville to have the top rated prospects in two consecutive years, will be insane and will show off in the long run. Here's to Dave and the scouts pulling it off. *Cheers*.

Quote:With the way I see the top of the draft going down I think clowney is going to be the pick if the jags stay at 3.

I think texans take a qb unless they flat out don't like any of the top guys - possible, but very unlikely.

I would be shocked if the rams pick #2. I think they trade it to the browns/raiders/Vikings who want to jump the jags and/or browns for a qb. It's also possible somebody would trade up here for clowney but I think it's less likely.

If that happens, then the jags have their choice of the third qb on the board, or arguably the best non-qb prospect since Calvin. It's possible that the jags love the qb available and think he's a franchise guy in which case sure, take him, but I feel like clowney is the more likely option.

So to answer the question, the best scenario for us is to see the jags take a qb because it means that they think there's a qb worth taking. However, if they don't, rest assured that there will be plenty of other talented players to choose from. This year shattered the previous record for underclassmen declaring. It will be a deep, talented draft and the jaguars have at least 10 picks. Just watch and enjoy.
The Best Scenario is for the jaguars to take the prospect available. Clowney, Matthews or Barr could be the "BAP" pick. Consider Matthews out because Paztor proved himself by the end of the season. We need to look more into the interior o-line.

Only Manziel is the only QB with a top prospect rank. I beleive he will also be 1st overall, because the texans are in a mindset right know of beleiving they are a QB away from the superbowl or playoffs.

A wildcard pick for the Jags could be Khalil Mack. I am from western NY, and  I pretty much had a real good glimpse of him playing. Not gonna go into detail, not gonna bore you. All I have to say is; in the right system, Mack could be a "poor man's" Bruce Smith and Jags have that system. 

I think a lot of people treat drafting a QB like any other position but it's really not, it's a unique position. If you pick a Tackle at the number 3 spot, he may turn out to be a hall of famer, or just serviceable, or a good backup, or could be a bust. With a QB you are really looking at either being great, or bust. There is no "decent QB" when he is playing for your team.  The decent QB's are losers, and become backups, and everyone is always looking to upgrade. Teams are always looking for great QB's. So it's always going to be a swing and Homerun, or a swing and bust. That is not the case with any other position.

You can draft other positions too high. Like Defensive end. Our most pressing need is not DE right now and we cannot afford another Derrick Harvey. You look at Clowneys college numbers, his sacks, and tackles for loss, and he is a mirror of Harvey, and both seem unmotivated as well. Like Harvey, Clowney will get drafted too high, hopefully he will at least have a decent Pro career.

With that in mind, when I hear people talk about not panicking, or overdrafting Bortles for instance, that he is "really a 3rd rounder" well that is the wrong mindset in my opinion. If he is good enough to be your starting QB, then he is worthy of your top pick. Likewise,  If he is no chance of being a great starting QB then he is not worth drafting at all. Period. You then pass on a QB. You don't sit back and say this QB is not first round material but looks to be 4th round material. The exception being at the end of the draft and you see a guy that may be a rare lottery ticket, was injured, and take a flyer. But for the most part, take a QB with your top pick if one is there that could be a potential star. Is there a potential star out there besides Bridgewater? Of course. The Jags will do their homework and hopefully swing and hit a home run.

Quote:I think a lot of people treat drafting a QB like any other position but it's really not, it's a unique position. If you pick a Tackle at the number 3 spot, he may turn out to be a hall of famer, or just serviceable, or a good backup, or could be a bust. With a QB you are really looking at either being great, or bust. There is no "decent QB" when he is playing for your team.  The decent QB's are losers, and become backups, and everyone is always looking to upgrade. Teams are always looking for great QB's. So it's always going to be a swing and Homerun, or a swing and bust. That is not the case with any other position.

You can draft other positions too high. Like Defensive end. Our most pressing need is not DE right now and we cannot afford another Derrick Harvey. You look at Clowneys college numbers, his sacks, and tackles for loss, and he is a mirror of Harvey, and both seem unmotivated as well. Like Harvey, Clowney will get drafted too high, hopefully he will at least have a decent Pro career.

With that in mind, when I hear people talk about not panicking, or overdrafting Bortles for instance, that he is "really a 3rd rounder" well that is the wrong mindset in my opinion. If he is good enough to be your starting QB, then he is worthy of your top pick. Likewise,  If he is no chance of being a great starting QB then he is not worth drafting at all. Period. You then pass on a QB. You don't sit back and say this QB is not first round material but looks to be 4th round material. The exception being at the end of the draft and you see a guy that may be a rare lottery ticket, was injured, and take a flyer. But for the most part, take a QB with your top pick if one is there that could be a potential star. Is there a potential star out there besides Bridgewater? Of course. The Jags will do their homework and hopefully swing and hit a home run.
That's the thing; when it comes to QB's there is no such thing anymore as "potential". There is only automatic promise now for QB's, you have to pick them, have to start them ASAP, there is no such thing as patience anymore; not with media, not with social media, nothing. This idea of patience for QB's to sit and develop talent was dying, and then Luck, RGIII, and Wilson killed it. It is all about: "Wanting it now, and win now". It's irrational, but the NFL is all about automacy now, instead of patience.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 01:26 AM by Banatha.)

Very true. That is the reason so many guys are flaming out, nobody has a chance to develop. A man has one good year and he is looked at as the savior, and then the next year he comes back to earth and is worse than if he sat a year. Or he has a bad first year and it seems to ruin a lot of them. Then it's on to the next QB.

But bottom line, the front office has to keep swinging with their top picks for a QB, not wait and hope for something in round 3. You cannot overdraft a QB basically, he is either going to be great or he is not, and the odds are the great ones will come in the top 2 rounds. If he is your starting QB and he is good, then you didn't overdraft him now did you? If he is a bust, you still didn't technically overdraft him, he was going to be a bust in the 3rd round as well. It isn't like you can develop him into a fine special team player or a 3rd down backup. The team may have wasted a 1st round draft pick but that's the way it goes when looking for a QB. You Keep on swinging in the first couple of rounds and eventually, you land your man. Fingers crossed.