Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Marrone new Assistant Head Coach/OL coach

This will all be settled in London

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This will all be settled in London

Starting at 9:30 am. don't forget.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Starting at 9:30 am. don't forget.

Meathead Anchorman will be in full effect!

Quote:Meathead Anchorman will be in full effect!

I have NO doubt.

Quote:This will all be settled in London

Dare I say it ----- This is a winnable game for the Jags.

There, I said it.

Quote: 

Perhaps...but he hired Marrone as OC before he signed Brees as a free agent.

Why would he do that if he didn't respect Marrone's coaching ability?

Fair point and he has praised Marrone consistently, but at the same time look at what the New Orleans Offense did post Marrone, its not like they missed him. Maybe it works for yous guys...certainly didn't work here. 

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 06:02 PM by BillsFan1970.)

Quote: Dare I say it ----- This is a winnable game for the Jags.

There, I said it.
I have to say I'm curious to see how our Rex Ryan coached DL with Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Jerry Hughes and corp of solid LBers will do against your Marrone coached OL.

I have to think the Bills will win just on that alone.

Quote:Poz was also consistent with the Bills. He consistently stopped the opposing RBs after they got 5 yards past the LOS.

You're consistently posting on another team's message board just because they hired your former coach.  Get. a. life.

Quote:You're consistently posting on another team's message board just because they hired your former coach.  Get. a. life.

He must have struck a nerve considering 91 % of PP's tackles are five yards down the field in a Jaguars jersey as well.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM by elroy16.)

Bills fan here. There's a bunch of reasons Bills fans wanted Marrone fired before he opted out. A lot of the reasons won't matter in Jacksonville because he won't be deciding who's starting or what plays to run. It didn't just start after he quit either.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthrea...ug-Marrone!!!!!!!!!

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthrea...rone-as-HC

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthrea...eeds-to-go

That's three threads among many that show people's dislike towards Marrone, all started before the end of the year.

Here are some of the reasons many were not impressed with Marrone.

First, the O-line failed to play at an average level. Not only their play, but how he handled the O-line was very frustrating. He kept Kraig Urbik on the bench in favor of Cyril Richardson for about 6 weeks. Urbik is no stud, but Richardson was abused constantly. It was painfully obvious that he was over matched as a rookie, but Marrone did nothing about it.

Another problem on the O-line was moving Erik Pears to RG about 2 weeks before the season started. Now part of this was due to Henderson playing LT during pre-season because Cordy Glenn had an illness of some sort. While Glenn was out, Pears played RT. Once Glenn returned, Henderson went to RT and Pears went to RG. Regardless, Pears is not a good guard and probably shouldn't be there anyway. He's 6-8 and was very poor at run blocking. He was OK in pass blocking, but very bad at getting a push in the run game. At 6-8, it's pretty obvious that most DT's are going to be able to get under his pads and hold their ground, which is what happened.

It is also documented that Glenn and Wood regressed in two seasons under Marrone. Now it can be argued that Wood had two bad guards beside him and Glenn missed a lot of camps and pre-season due to his illness, so it's possible each just had a poor year due to different circumstances and not Marrone. 

Now a lot of the main reasons fans soured on Marrone will not effect you guys at all. His and Hackett's inability to utilize CJ Spiller or Sammy Watkins was almost a joke. Watkins bread and butter in college was the WR screen. Sure, it doesn't work as well in the NFL, but you still see it. They ran a total of 3 WR screens, all year, to Sammy Watkins. There were games where they would run 3 WR screens to Robert Woods, all with Sammy lead blocking. CJ Spiller is very good in space but not a good between the tackles runner, yet the rarely threw swing passes or got CJ the ball in space. 

Their red zone offense was poor and yet Mike Williams, arguably the best red zone threat on the team, rarely got snaps, red zone or otherwise. 

It's been reported that he was pretty full of himself, calling himself Saint Doug (because evidently it takes two miracles to become a Saint. His first miracle was resurrecting Syracuse and the Bills were going to be his second) and generally rubbed people the wrong way. There are many rumors about his thin skin and being very controlling, going as far as requiring all videos uploaded on the Bills site to be approved by him. 

Regardless of the reports and rumors, the fact is, the offense was garbage this year. The invested pretty heavily in the O-line last offseason and it didn't show at all. Whether that is scouting or coaching can be debated. Orton was below average this year, which didn't help either. 

Like I said, a bunch of those reasons probably won't matter in Jacksonville because he won't be picking the starters. He might even be a great O-line coach for you guys. I don't think a lot of Bills fans thought he was a great HC though.

Quote:Bills fan here. There's a bunch of reasons Bills fans wanted Marrone fired before he opted out. A lot of the reasons won't matter in Jacksonville because he won't be deciding who's starting or what plays to run. It didn't just start after he quit either.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthrea...ug-Marrone!!!!!!!!!

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthrea...rone-as-HC

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthrea...eeds-to-go

That's three threads among many that show people's dislike towards Marrone, all started before the end of the year.

And look at the replies.

Knee-jerk reactions happen on every message board. I've seen Pats fans wanting BB gone, I've seen Saints fans wanting SP gone. It's strange how these threads are usually after defeats but they vanish when the team wins a game or two.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 06:48 PM by elroy16.)

Quote:And look at the replies.

Knee-jerk reactions happen on every message board. I've seen Pats fans wanting BB gone, I've seen Saints fans wanting SP gone. It's strange how these threads are usually after defeats but they vanish when the team wins a game or two.

Lol, yeah, admittedly I didn't go through and read the replies. It doesn't change many of the facts I stated. Like I said, he might be a great coach for you, he might have taken the Bills to the playoffs next year if he had stayed. Many of his perceived faults may have been the lack of talent on the O-line and QB. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote: Just from the outside looking in, there isn't much talent on the Bills OL.  Put that together with an under performing QB & the injuries you had at RB and all of that will effect the OL play.  

How "hands-on" can a head coach be with a specific position? (serious question, not being snarky).

The Bills gave up 30 sacks in '12,  48 in '13 (Marrone's 1st year) & 39 in '14 -    The Jags gave up 71! 

Just from reading different BIlls sites, he was running a ZBS with the wrong personnel also. 

I wouldn't say im excited about the hire, but I'm not sure I would get excited for any position coach hire.  I think it's an upgrade from our previous coach though.

Here's a couple of thoughts:

Chan Gailey got production out of the same guys in 2011 and 2012.  The only guy missing was Levitre and he left for a big pay day in Tenn.  In fact, there was talk of benching/cutting Levitre in Tenn.

Under Gailey, Fred Jackson was having a career year until he broke his leg.  CJ Spiller came in and tore it up the rest of 2011, and had 6.0 YPC/over 1000 yards rushing in 2012.

LT and C are manned by Glenn and Wood - while not flashy, they were above average players under Gailey.

The only place where there was a severe lack of talent on the OL was at LG.

Quote:Poz was also consistent with the Bills. He consistently stopped the opposing RBs after they got 5 yards past the LOS.

Poz was consistently average in Buffalo.

Alonzo made more plays in his first 4 weeks as a rookie than Poz did ever in Buffalo. 

That's why people pick on Poz - it's the whole price/performance ratio.

Quote:1 does not make any sense at all compared to the question asked.

2.  I could attribute Drew Brees to Marrone's success in New Orleans.  In other words, if he has the talent to succeed, he has proven he can succeed.  If you deem the Buffalo offense as less than successful, isn't it possible the lack of success was not necessarily a coaching issue as it was a lack of talent issue?

3.  This is from Bills owner Terry Pegulla on Marrone's departure from Buffalo:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article...7fce16363f

The issue Bills fans had is that the offense regressed under Marrone's watch, even though he had more talent (on paper) to work with than Chan Gailey.

Gailey had a 7th round QB starting, along with a 7th round and 2 UDFA WR's and a TE that never had a catch in the league.  He actually made them look average.

Quote:Well doesn't that now make 2 HCs that quit on the Bills? Marrone and Mularkey.

What is going on up there in Bills-nation?

Part of it was organization change...

Mularkey was a Donahoe hire and Donahoe was fired after the 2005 season. 

Marrone = ownership change.

Quote:Poz was consistently average in Buffalo.

Alonzo made more plays in his first 4 weeks as a rookie than Poz did ever in Buffalo. 

That's why people pick on Poz - it's the whole price/performance ratio.
I know. My point was he didn't play the run very well. 

I think people pick on Poz because was never viewed as an adequate replacement for London Fletcher

Quote:The issue Bills fans had is that the offense regressed under Marrone's watch, even though he had more talent (on paper) to work with than Chan Gailey.

Gailey had a 7th round QB starting, along with a 7th round and 2 UDFA WR's and a TE that never had a catch in the league.  He actually made them look average.
I partially agree. Chan's offense had a lot of quick throws which made our OL and QB look adequate

Quote:I partially agree. Chan's offense had a lot of quick throws which made our OL and QB look adequate

Even so, square peg, round hole syndrome.

Quote:The issue Bills fans had is that the offense regressed under Marrone's watch, even though he had more talent (on paper) to work with than Chan Gailey.

Gailey went 4-12, 6-10, 6-10. Marrone went 6-10, then 9-7 for the Bills first winning season since 2004.

Take a look at both coaches PF and PA numbers.

I'll admit I don't follow the Bills much, but what am I missing? I know you are in the Pat's division, so that has to be taken into consideration.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/