Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Marrone new Assistant Head Coach/OL coach

This is an OLine that gave up 71 sacks last year. Bills gave up 39 or something. If he can cut 71 to 39 I'd be delighted with him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This is an OLine that gave up 71 sacks last year. Bills gave up 39 or something. If he can cut 71 to 39 I'd be delighted with him.
39 is about 2.5 sacks per game. 71 is about 4.5 per game.

Think about how many times we were about 1 or 2 offensive plays away from extending drives or plays that required more time to take deep shots. Would love 39 sacks.

Quote:Fair point and he has praised Marrone consistently, but at the same time look at what the New Orleans Offense did post Marrone, its not like they missed him. Maybe it works for yous guys...certainly didn't work here.

Well in all fairness, what has worked there since 1993?

Quote:Gailey went 4-12, 6-10, 6-10. Marrone went 6-10, then 9-7 for the Bills first winning season since 2004.

Take a look at both coaches PF and PA numbers.

I'll admit I don't follow the Bills much, but what am I missing? I know you are in the Pat's division, so that has to be taken into consideration.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

Gailey's downfall in Buffalo was that he picked the wrong defensive coordinators.  From 2010-2012, they fielded some of the worst defenses in franchise history. 

Look at their rankings - middle of the pack for PF and bottom of the league in PA.

Under Pettine and Schwartz, they actually looked like a competitive defense that belongs in the NFL.  Many of this years starters/key players were on the 2011-2012 squads.

It should also be noted that from 2006-2009, Dick Jaroun drafted undersized players for the Tampa-2.  It took a good year or two to beef up the lines and LB corps

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 07:41 PM by BillsFan1970.)

Quote:Gailey went 4-12, 6-10, 6-10. Marrone went 6-10, then 9-7 for the Bills first winning season since 2004.

Take a look at both coaches PF and PA numbers.

I'll admit I don't follow the Bills much, but what am I missing? I know you are in the Pat's division, so that has to be taken into consideration.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/
I thinks it's a problem with our front office and late meddling owner Ralph Wilson Jr.

The Bills have been in turmoil ever since the last pieces of the team Bill Polian built left. He was the GM that built our teams that went to the Super Bowl. Polian's successor John Butler was a capable GM, but Wilson fired him and he went to San Diego. Ever since then, it has been rebuild after rebuild and ever changing offensive and defensive schemes.

Quote:I thinks it's a problem with our front office and late meddling owner Ralph Wilson Jr.

The Bills have been in turmoil ever since the last pieces of the team Bill Polian built left. He was the GM that built our teams that went to the Super Bowl. Polian's successor John Butler was a capable GM, but Wilson fired him and he went to San Diego. Ever since then, it has been rebuild after rebuild by a front office that really don't have a clue on how to run an NFL team.

It should also be noted that Ralph saved money on not building the best FO and coaching staff.  He would spend on players especially during the salary cap era, because those salaries were essentially paid for by the TV money.

I would be that the Bills coaching staff and FO personnel were always at the bottom of the league pay wise.

If the Sabres are any indication, the Pegulas would invest some much needed cash to build a world class scouting department.

Quote:It should also be noted that Ralph saved money on not building the best FO and coaching staff.  He would spend on players especially during the salary cap era, because those salaries were essentially paid for by the TV money.

I would be that the Bills coaching staff and FO personnel were always at the bottom of the league pay wise.

If the Sabres are any indication, the Pegulas would invest some much needed cash to build a world class scouting department.

There's no doubt that it's very tough, if not nearly impossible, to win with a cheap owner.

If you do get lucky and have a decent season, your good/above average people will jump at the first chance to move on and get paid, and will then be replaced by a cheap owner.

It's a vicious cycle.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:It should also be noted that Ralph saved money on not building the best FO and coaching staff.  He would spend on players especially during the salary cap era, because those salaries were essentially paid for by the TV money.

Ralph didn't have a problem paying money to exceptional players who were in what he thought were the important positions, but other than that, he was cheap.

For what it's worth, a lot of coaches are great positional coaches but not great HC's. Marrone may simply be better at coaching OL than a HC.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Every once in a while, I gotta run smack.

It's been a while since we, as Jags fans, have been able to do that. 

Buffalo is one of the few teams we can run smack to.

True. While Seahawk and Pats fans are debating the big game. Colts and GB in mourning, but at least gave their fans something to cheer for... Jag and Bills fan have pages and pages of debating the hiring of an OLine coach..

Gonna be a lonnnnnmnnng off season.

And London can't wait to host these two powerhouses next year.

In reality, we should support each other. Both fan bases have suffered long enough. But, hey....we ain't got any playoff trash talk , so carry on and keep shalom.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:There's no doubt that it's very tough, if not nearly impossible, to win with a cheap owner.

If you do get lucky and have a decent season, your good/above average people will jump at the first chance to move on and get paid, and will then be replaced by a cheap owner.

It's a vicious cycle.
And that's exactly what happens. It's no secret that good coaches and GMs didn't want to come to Buffalo because Wilson and his bean counters who were in charge. 

Despite what some of the media and uniformed ignorant Bills fan base is saying, this was a great hire for the Jaguars picking up one of the brightest football minds out there to join Bradley's staff.

Doug Marrone single handedly turned around the Bills franchise and changed the culture there. There's a reason why Rex Ryan was so eager to land that job as were many other big name coaches. Marrone also wasn't afraid to make bold personel decisions like benching 1st round bust EJ Manuel and his defenses the last few  years have been among the leagues best. He stood up to poor front office management and demanded accountability as well.

Obviously he wasn't as hot a commodity as he may have thought since his Bills only finished 9-7 with no playoffs, but he made a calculated risk opting out of his deal with the Bills but he also knew he was pocketing $4 million either way.

The Jags WILL make a huge step forward this year and having Doug Marrone on this staff will be a major reason why. If the Jags go 8-8 or better Marrone will certainly position himself for another head coaching job as early as next season. I look forward to seeing what he does with this offense and helping young players like Bortles develop.

Quote:Despite what some of the media and uniformed ignorant Bills fan base is saying, this was a great hire for the Jaguars picking up one of the brightest football minds out there to join Bradley's staff.

Doug Marrone single handedly turned around the Bills franchise and changed the culture there. There's a reason why Rex Ryan was so eager to land that job as were many other big name coaches. Marrone also wasn't afraid to make bold personel decisions like benching 1st round bust EJ Manuel and his defenses the last few  years have been among the leagues best. He stood up to poor front office management and demanded accountability as well.

Obviously he wasn't as hot a commodity as he may have thought since his Bills only finished 9-7 with no playoffs, but he made a calculated risk opting out of his deal with the Bills but he also knew he was pocketing $4 million either way.

The Jags WILL make a huge step forward this year and having Doug Marrone on this staff will be a major reason why. If the Jags go 8-8 or better Marrone will certainly position himself for another head coaching job as early as next season. I look forward to seeing what he does with this offense and helping young players like Bortles develop.
Hi Doug. Welcome to the Jungle. Enjoy your stay!

Quote:Hi Doug. Welcome to the Jungle. Enjoy your stay!

Dude get out of here lol. Go look for a QB you need one!
Shock the world

I say believe noting that you read, or hear, from day one judge for yourself on Marrone ,not everyone in Bills land is happy he left, and got that [BLEEP] clown Ryan as a replacement, in all honestly Bills could have done way better than Ryan

Quote:This is an OLine that gave up 71 sacks last year. Bills gave up 39 or something. If he can cut 71 to 39 I'd be delighted with him.
so would BB5 :teehee:

Whats up with these Bills fan bashing their former coach. Seems they are pissed he ran away with 4 million. I would have also, no first round pick and QB, they are in it for the long run. That defense won't be as good as this year and Rex will regret signing up in the same division. Should have went to the Falcons.

Quote:I say believe noting that you read, or hear, from day one judge for yourself on Marrone ,not everyone in Bills land is happy he left, and got that [BAD WORD REMOVED] clown Ryan as a replacement, in all honestly Bills could have done way better than Ryan

Most realistic Bills fans know that losing Marrone and his staff was a major setback, the only ones jumping for joy over it are the clueless homers on the official Bills message boards that would blindly follow this team even if they went 1-15 the next 10 years.

Rex Ryan will have the defense playing as good or better than they have the last few years but it still don't change the fact that the Bills don't have a QB and wasted multiple first round picks on a WR that isn't even close to some of the other players taken after him in last years draft.

Marrone worked wonders with a journeyman QB and worst oline group in the NFL last year, with some real talent in Jacksonville to develop including Blake Bortles he should do very well.

Might be one of most experienced coaching staff we've had in a long time

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 09:49 PM by Jax Jag.)

I wonder what made them choose him as assistant head coach