Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Presidental Election

(10-05-2020, 11:49 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 11:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If he's nekkid I ain't holding nothing against him.

Touche

No. No touche.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-05-2020, 11:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 09:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That almost got me to vote for Tulsi.

She's really not that cute once you take off all that makeup.  You all got so used to looking at Hillary 4 years ago that anything we throw at you all is going to look pretty decent.

[Image: tulsi-750x.jpg]

Nothing a little Differin couldn’t fix.  She’s still a pretty lady in my eyes.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Four weeks to go until the election, and unless the polls are way off, Biden is going to win.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls...-6247.html

(10-06-2020, 08:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Four weeks to go until the election, and unless the polls are way off, Biden is going to win.  

Almost every poll I have seen that has Biden outside the margin of error oversamples Democrats.

Other than polls that pop up on YouTube ( which I'm sure are driven by watch habits because they always show the results after you vote and it's always Trump 98% ) I have never once been contacted for a political poll. How can that be? I have been of age to and voted regularly for a long time. Just seems a bit odd.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(10-06-2020, 08:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Four weeks to go until the election, and unless the polls are way off, Biden is going to win.  

LOL.  The polls mean about as much as they did in 2016.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

And yet there's a poll out that says over 60% of people don't trust what the media tells them.

Hmm.

Polls also had Hillary defeating Trump as well. Polls mean very little. Most of them are done in areas of California and New York which are very liberal areas. I live in Ohio and I see Trump signs EVERYWHERE. Everyone I talk to is a rabid Trump supporter. It blows my mind that polls have Biden winning, because I guarantee he's gonna lose middle America. I'm not a fan of either side, in fact I hate them both, but I cannot deny what I am seeing. The reality of the situation is that I see another 4 years of Trump and I see the country deteriorating into even more chaos, (but that would happen no matter which one of these boneheads win the election.)

Polls intended solely to deflate Trump voters into thinking he isn't going to win didn't work in 2016 and won't work now. If anything, this is a bad strategy for the Democrats to make their voters even more lazy than they already are and assume they don't need to show up.

I've had several calls from pollsters, but I don't answer them. I don't imagine there are a lot of people that want to contribute to the polls.

(10-06-2020, 09:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Polls also had Hillary defeating Trump as well. Polls mean very little. Most of them are done in areas of California and New York which are very liberal areas. I live in Ohio and I see Trump signs EVERYWHERE. Everyone I talk to is a rabid Trump supporter. It blows my mind that polls have Biden winning, because I guarantee he's gonna lose middle America. I'm not a fan of either side, in fact I hate them both, but I cannot deny what I am seeing. The reality of the situation is that I see another 4 years of Trump and I see the country deteriorating into even more chaos, (but that would happen no matter which one of these boneheads win the election.)

Up here you will see an occasional Trump bumper sticker or two, but not really much else.  Trump will carry this state easily, however.

All the political ads and mailings going on up here now (and there are a TON of them) involve the fight over the seats of Senator Sullivan & Representative Young.  Lower 48 money has poured in here from both major political parties as the democrats are furiously trying to flip the senate and increase their lead in the house.

The interesting thing is that both challengers are running as Independents because the “D” word up here is like a dirty word.  Will this strategy work or not is the $60 million dollar question.  If these Democratic-backed candidates fail it won’t be for lack of trying.

No one is paying the pollsters to make fake polls. Their credibility is all they have. They're not going to publish a fake or incorrect poll on purpose.

But that leaves the question, can the polls be wrong? I think the pollsters are doing their very best to get it right this time.

A good poll has to be constructed pretty carefully. They have to get the correct sampling of democrats, republicans, old people, young people, rich people, poor people, men, women, different races, college degree or high school degree, cell phones, land lines, and so on. They have to try and predict who is going to vote. It's not easy. Just getting people to answer the phone is getting harder and harder, with cell phones screening out people not on a person's contact list. Last time, they didn't realize that there would be a split based on educational levels, with voters without a college education going heavily for Trump.

(10-06-2020, 10:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: No one is paying the pollsters to make fake polls.   Their credibility is all they have.  They're not going to publish a fake or incorrect poll on purpose.  

But that leaves the question, can the polls be wrong?   I think the pollsters are doing their very best to get it right this time.  

A good poll has to be constructed pretty carefully.  They have to get the correct sampling of democrats, republicans, old people, young people, rich people, poor people, men, women, different races, college degree or high school degree, cell phones, land lines, and so on.  They have to try and predict who is going to vote.   It's not easy.   Just getting people to answer the phone is getting harder and harder, with cell phones screening out people not on a person's contact list.  Last time, they didn't realize that there would be a split based on educational levels, with voters without a college education going heavily for Trump.

Polls are paid for my the parties and others. They may try to sample correctly, but generally it is harder to sample conservatives because they don't usually talk to unknown people on the phone or like to give their voting info out. When you already oversample, then add that some people don't want to announce they are voting for Trump, it skews the numbers begin time.

(10-06-2020, 10:16 AM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 09:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Polls also had Hillary defeating Trump as well. Polls mean very little. Most of them are done in areas of California and New York which are very liberal areas. I live in Ohio and I see Trump signs EVERYWHERE. Everyone I talk to is a rabid Trump supporter. It blows my mind that polls have Biden winning, because I guarantee he's gonna lose middle America. I'm not a fan of either side, in fact I hate them both, but I cannot deny what I am seeing. The reality of the situation is that I see another 4 years of Trump and I see the country deteriorating into even more chaos, (but that would happen no matter which one of these boneheads win the election.)

Up here you will see an occasional Trump bumper sticker or two, but not really much else.  Trump will carry this state easily, however.

All the political ads and mailings going on up here now (and there are a TON of them) involve the fight over the seats of Senator Sullivan & Representative Young.  Lower 48 money has poured in here from both major political parties as the democrats are furiously trying to flip the senate and increase their lead in the house.

The interesting thing is that both challengers are running as Independents because the “D” word up here is like a dirty word.  Will this strategy work or not is the $60 million dollar question.  If these Democratic-backed candidates fail it won’t be for lack of trying.

How do you feel about the Top Four referendum they're trying now?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-06-2020, 02:41 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 10:16 AM)KodiakJag Wrote: Up here you will see an occasional Trump bumper sticker or two, but not really much else.  Trump will carry this state easily, however.

How do you feel about the Top Four referendum they're trying now?

Personally, I don’t care about it either way, But most Alaskans are conservative and do not like change unless they get pissed off about something, like when the last governor raided our PFD and ended up losing his job over it.  Tons of ballot measures go up for vote here and everywhere around town you’ll see “Vote no on 1” or “Vote no on 2” without ever seeing many “yes” signs.  As the funding for a lot of these ballot measures comes from an increase in property taxes (really the only tax that we pay here besides SS & Federal income taxes) most people are just conditioned to say “No.”

One thing I do not like about this initiative is the requirement to rank candidates in the generals, and I’m pretty sure most Alaskans won’t like having to do that either.  They’ll just vote for who they want and ignore the rest.

(10-07-2020, 12:38 AM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 02:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: How do you feel about the Top Four referendum they're trying now?

Personally, I don’t care about it either way, But most Alaskans are conservative and do not like change unless they get pissed off about something, like when the last governor raided our PFD and ended up losing his job over it.  Tons of ballot measures go up for vote here and everywhere around town you’ll see “Vote no on 1” or “Vote no on 2” without ever seeing many “yes” signs.  As the funding for a lot of these ballot measures comes from an increase in property taxes (really the only tax that we pay here besides SS & Federal income taxes) most people are just conditioned to say “No.”

One thing I do not like about this initiative is the requirement to rank candidates in the generals, and I’m pretty sure most Alaskans won’t like having to do that either.  They’ll just vote for who they want and ignore the rest.

That's what I was thinking.
No one except political junkies has the time or energy to figure out who their third favorite candidate for State Legislature is

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2020, 07:36 AM by The Real Marty.)

(10-06-2020, 02:27 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 10:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: No one is paying the pollsters to make fake polls.   Their credibility is all they have.  They're not going to publish a fake or incorrect poll on purpose.  

But that leaves the question, can the polls be wrong?   I think the pollsters are doing their very best to get it right this time.  

A good poll has to be constructed pretty carefully.  They have to get the correct sampling of democrats, republicans, old people, young people, rich people, poor people, men, women, different races, college degree or high school degree, cell phones, land lines, and so on.  They have to try and predict who is going to vote.   It's not easy.   Just getting people to answer the phone is getting harder and harder, with cell phones screening out people not on a person's contact list.  Last time, they didn't realize that there would be a split based on educational levels, with voters without a college education going heavily for Trump.

Polls are paid for my the parties and others. They may try to sample correctly, but generally it is harder to sample conservatives because they don't usually talk to unknown people on the phone or like to give their voting info out. When you already oversample, then add that some people don't want to announce they are voting for Trump, it skews the numbers begin time.

Of course, that is the big question: are there hidden Trump voters because for some reason, Trump voters don't like to answer polls and Trump haters like to answer polls?   It's a tricky question.  People with cell phones can screen calls.   I personally don't answer a call if my phone doesn't name the person from my contact list.  So I have probably screened out a pollster or two.  But do Trump voters do that more than Biden voters?  What is the evidence of that?   In 2016, the polls right before the election showed about a 3% lead for Clinton, nationwide.  Clinton wound up winning the popular vote by about 2%.  So either the polls were off by 1%, or there was a late shift towards Trump that was too late for the polls to pick up.  But it was just 1%.  Trump won the election by very narrowly winning a few swing states where the polling was off for some reason.  

Again, the last pre-election polls in 2016 had Clinton winning the national popular vote by 3%.  Right now, the average of all the polls shows Biden with a lead of between 7% and 9%.  And some of those polls were taken before it was revealed that Trump doesn't pay income taxes, and before he had the disastrous debate, and before he was diagnosed with Covid-19.  So it's hard to see the polls swinging back towards him at this point.  Another point to keep in mind is that, compared to 2016, there are very few undecided voters.  

Again, the big question is, are Trump voters refusing the answer the phone or refusing to answer polls more than Biden voters are, and if so, is it enough to make the polls not just slightly wrong, but very wrong?  I'm sure a lot of Biden supporters are sweating out that question.  But I'd sure rather be Biden than Trump at this point.

(10-07-2020, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 02:27 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Polls are paid for my the parties and others. They may try to sample correctly, but generally it is harder to sample conservatives because they don't usually talk to unknown people on the phone or like to give their voting info out. When you already oversample, then add that some people don't want to announce they are voting for Trump, it skews the numbers begin time.

Of course, that is the big question: are there hidden Trump voters because for some reason, Trump voters don't like to answer polls and Trump haters like to answer polls?   It's a tricky question.  People with cell phones can screen calls.   I personally don't answer a call if my phone doesn't name the person from my contact list.  So I have probably screened out a pollster or two.  But do Trump voters do that more than Biden voters?  What is the evidence of that?   In 2016, the polls right before the election showed about a 3% lead for Clinton, nationwide.  Clinton wound up winning the popular vote by about 2%.  So either the polls were off by 1%, or there was a late shift towards Trump that was too late for the polls to pick up.  But it was just 1%.  Trump won the election by very narrowly winning a few swing states where the polling was off for some reason.  

Again, the last pre-election polls in 2016 had Clinton winning the national popular vote by 3%.  Right now, the average of all the polls shows Biden with a lead of between 7% and 9%.  And some of those polls were taken before it was revealed that Trump doesn't pay income taxes, and before he had the disastrous debate, and before he was diagnosed with Covid-19.  So it's hard to see the polls swinging back towards him at this point.  Another point to keep in mind is that, compared to 2016, there are very few undecided voters.  

Again, the big question is, are Trump voters refusing the answer the phone or refusing to answer polls more than Biden voters are, and if so, is it enough to make the polls not just slightly wrong, but very wrong?  I'm sure a lot of Biden supporters are sweating out that question.  But I'd sure rather be Biden than Trump at this point.

I had never received a polling call until this year, which I have received multiple.

I make it a point to inform the pollster I am voting Democrat. I also respond to the political text messages from a position of pro-Democrat.

I like to skew results.

(10-07-2020, 08:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Of course, that is the big question: are there hidden Trump voters because for some reason, Trump voters don't like to answer polls and Trump haters like to answer polls?   It's a tricky question.  People with cell phones can screen calls.   I personally don't answer a call if my phone doesn't name the person from my contact list.  So I have probably screened out a pollster or two.  But do Trump voters do that more than Biden voters?  What is the evidence of that?   In 2016, the polls right before the election showed about a 3% lead for Clinton, nationwide.  Clinton wound up winning the popular vote by about 2%.  So either the polls were off by 1%, or there was a late shift towards Trump that was too late for the polls to pick up.  But it was just 1%.  Trump won the election by very narrowly winning a few swing states where the polling was off for some reason.  

I had never received a polling call until this year, which I have received multiple.

I make it a point to inform the pollster I am voting Democrat. I also respond to the political text messages from a position of pro-Democrat.

I like to skew results.

So you know there are people who spend ten of thousands of dollars making thousands of phone calls to find out the truth, and you lie to them? Not to protect yourself or anything, not to gain any money or status, but just for your own amusement?
That's pretty low, dude.

(10-07-2020, 08:24 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 08:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I had never received a polling call until this year, which I have received multiple.

I like to skew results.

So you know there are people who spend ten of thousands of dollars making thousands of phone calls to find out the truth, and you lie to them? Not to protect yourself or anything, not to gain any money or status, but just for your own amusement?
That's pretty low, dude.

Guess we finally found out what you do for a living.

I don't respect the industry of political polling and believe they should have selected a better career path. I am glad I get to skew the results of the "tens of thousands of dollars" they have spent.