Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official Seahawks @ Vikings Wildcard Round Game Thread***

Quote:Is there a more lucky and opportunistic team than Seattle?

No argument from me after seeing what transpired in Week # 4 on MNF against the Lions and again today.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The window is closing on the Seahawks.

They are going to need another lucky break.

Great call!  

Even though the ball should have placed better and the temp. even without the wind was around 0 degrees F at the time of the kick,  it's a FG attempt you absolutely,  positively have to convert!

Quote:StaceyDales ‏@StaceyDales  4m

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">4 minutes ago
<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">@Vikings are 10-0 this season when they score first #SEAvsMIN

</div>

Good tidbit!

If not for an improbable turn,  they would have been 11-0 when scoring first.  

Whomever stated it,, I'll second it:

The Seahawks are one of the most, if not the most, lucky teams in the league. They always seem to get some kind of huge lucky break to win a game (though that's not to say they're not a good team).

Seattle was defeated,, and ended up escaping with a shank ed missed FG for a win,, lol.

Quote:I played soccer my whole life. Never really kicked a rugby ball or an NFL football...

But I know that there are certain things that can make you shank a shot...

Laces out should not have made him choke...

What made that kicker choke is familiar to anyone that ever watched Meyers kick PATs for the Jaguars... The dude just has not mental toughness.
I too have played soccer most of my life and agree with you. I've kicked a football before and I don't see how the laces made kicking it any different. I think it's more of a mental thing. He just hit it wrong, plain and simple. It happens, we are human.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:The holder has one very simple job that includes making sure the laces are not facing backwards. Geez!

WTG Seahawks!

Quote:And that was the second time he did it in that game.

This is what I don't understand. If it is so important whether the laces face toward or away from the kicker, why did Blair Walsh make one attempt and not another with them facing the wrong direction?

Quote:I too have played soccer most of my life and agree with you. I've kicked a football before and I don't see how the laces made kicking it any different. I think it's more of a mental thing. He just hit it wrong, plain and simple. It happens, we are human.

I agree as well.  IMHO, it's preference but not necessity.  Maybe there's an affect on spin, etc., but doubtful it's a problem if the swing is consistent.

I caught a tweet at the time I can no longer find that pointed the issue with the kick to be a bad foot position that's a common issue with kickers in cold weather.  Not sure what cold weather had to do with it, but I suppose it's possible that our bodies aren't as limber in the cold and we tend to tighten up (like tucking in our shoulders, neck, etc.) and our general posture isn't what it should be involuntarily.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote: 

I caught a tweet at the time I can no longer find that pointed the issue with the kick to be a bad foot position that's a common issue with kickers in cold weather.  Not sure what cold weather had to do with it, but I suppose it's possible that our bodies aren't as limber in the cold and we tend to tighten up (like tucking in our shoulders, neck, etc.) and our general posture isn't what it should be involuntarily.

It's difficult to truly appreciate the difference until you've lived in that type of climate. Nothing is the same..  It's not just the turf and the footing and a ball that feels like a brick.  Flexibility, posture, etc. (as you mentioned) in sub-zero temps, even the way you breath, are all way different.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:I agree as well.  IMHO, it's preference but not necessity.  Maybe there's an affect on spin, etc., but doubtful it's a problem if the swing is consistent.

Brandon McManus explained after the MNF game his toes were pointed up on his missed try and were supposed to be down. I have no idea why that matters.

Right, getting stiff is a natural reaction to being cold. But we are not professional athletes. They prepare themselves for playing in cold weather. Obviously after playing outdoors for two years the Vikings are used to it and know how to stay limber during games.

Of course, if weather was a dominant factor, FG and PAT accuracy rate would be higher in warmer climates (with the except of Denver because of its altitude). But we all know two of the best kickers in the NFL - Stephen Gostkowski and Justin Tucker - live in the cold Northeast.

Quote:I agree as well.  IMHO, it's preference but not necessity.  Maybe there's an affect on spin, etc., but doubtful it's a problem if the swing is consistent.

I'm thinking there's a reason for kickers to prefer the laces not be there because it's possible to hit them and throw off the kick. The first kick they pointed out that his foot got under the laces and the kick was fine. I figure it usually doesn't matter, but it can and in this case did. Or perhaps it's just psychological and the laces caused the kicker to try and avoid them throwing off the kick. In any event, the holder should know better.

'02

Quote:I'm thinking there's a reason for kickers to prefer the laces not be there because it's possible to hit them and throw off the kick. The first kick they pointed out that his foot got under the laces and the kick was fine. I figure it usually doesn't matter,  but it can and in this case did. Or perhaps it's just psychological and the laces caused the kicker to try and avoid them throwing off the kick. In any event, the holder should know better.

If the kicker's foot hits the laces, it was too high on the ball anyway. But I also suspect they can throw the foot off balance. It is probably a physical thing, not psychological.

My guess is the holder knew turning the ball around would throw off the timing, which is a much bigger factor than the laces direction. You can't blame him for that.

Quote:If the kicker's foot hits the laces, it was too high on the ball anyway. But I also suspect they can throw the foot off balance. It is probably a physical thing, not psychological.

My guess is the holder knew turning the ball around would throw off the timing, which is a much bigger factor than the laces direction. You can't blame him for that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking NFL Holders typically get the ball down every time without the laces pointing backward.

'02

Quote:Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking NFL Holders typically get the ball down every time without the laces pointing backward.

It seems like everyone is blaming the snapper for getting the laces wrong.

Quote:It's like watching David Garrard in 2008.

Difference is Teddy actually has deep threats; he just can't or won't go downfield consistently for some reason