Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Uh Oh... President Obama's Immigration Plans on HOLD

Quote:The problem isn't uneducated voters.  Many voters are educated and well-informed.  The problem is there's too much money involved in politics.   Democracy is for sale, and all that really matters to these politicians (even the one who supported the bill like Reid) is getting re-elected.  They no longer represent the best interests of their citizens, but their own interests.  I think we both agree on campaign finance reform and on term limits.  They fear losing an election if they do something unpopular with their constituents.  Which turns it into a rule by majority, rather than a representative democracy.  Too much money comes from unions and corporations, who's best interests aren't often aligned with people (which is why I would never label a corporation or a union as a person). 
100% agree

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The problem isn't uneducated voters.  Many voters are educated and well-informed.  The problem is there's too much money involved in politics.   Democracy is for sale, and all that really matters to these politicians (even the one who supported the bill like Reid) is getting re-elected.  They no longer represent the best interests of their citizens, but their own interests.  I think we both agree on campaign finance reform and on term limits.  They fear losing an election if they do something unpopular with their constituents.  Which turns it into a rule by majority, rather than a representative democracy.  Too much money comes from unions and corporations, who's best interests aren't often aligned with people (which is why I would never label a corporation or a union as a person). 
While I agree with most of what you state the fact remains that a large number of voters are uneducated.  Not just in the matter of those running for office, but also issues and referendums.  It drives me bonkers when I see a referendum pass that will cost the tax payers money and when it comes to pass the same people that voted for it are upset at how it will affect them in the wallet.  I call that uneducated voting.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:Two and a Half Men also dominated the ratings.

Not to mention that conservatives tend to have FOX News as their primary news source, while Liberals are more likely to branch out. They're also more likely to get their news online. And some people watch fox news for the entertainment value.

Lol so true.

Quote:Lol so true.

Branching out to numerous liberally biased sources doesnt alter the liberal bias.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Branching out to numerous liberally biased sources doesnt alter the liberal bias.
It does explain why the sole conservative biased network has highest rating. It's the only one and that was his point. 

Quote:Branching out to numerous liberally biased sources doesnt alter the liberal bias.

Liberal bias, conservative bias, what is the difference? Both bias. Liberal bias is wrong but conservative bias is ok?

Quote:Liberal bias, conservative bias, what is the difference? Both bias. Liberal bias is wrong but conservative bias is ok?

You must agree that Liberal bias is far more prevalent simply because they control the academia, media, the publishing houses, and Hollywood.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 02:02 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:You must agree that Liberal bias is far more prevalent simply because they control the academia, media, the publishing houses, and Hollywood.
So more people are liberal in the areas you mentioned therefore there is more liberal voices being heard. Well that's just a shocker. Should these places artificially create areas for conservative voices that seem to not exists in them in numbers that you approve of? 

Quote:You must agree that Liberal bias is far more prevalent simply because they control the academia, media, the publishing houses, and Hollywood.

Did you say fox news has more viewers then any other station by far? Wouldn't that mean conservative bias is being pushed to a greater extent in the media?

Quote:Did you say fox news has more viewers then any other station by far? Wouldn't that mean conservative bias is being pushed to a greater extent in the media?

I didnt say that.

Quote:So more people are liberal in the areas you mentioned therefore there is more liberal voices being heard. Well that's just a shocker. Should these places artificially create areas for conservative voices that seem to not exists in them in numbers that you approve of?

No, I dont approve of your Fairness Doctrine, though Libbies never jumped up to enforce it in the mediums they control. Almost hypocritical that was. Almost like the legislation was only to take the voice from their opponents. I see I'm being too kind with the "almosts."

Quote:I didnt say that.

Correction Jagibelieve did.

Total Viewers Fox News 1.779 million (even) MSNBC 600,000 (down 8%) CNN 528,000 (down 8%) HLN 337,000 (down 16%).

So no, not sure I believe liberals control the media.

Quote:Correction Jagibelieve did.

Total Viewers Fox News 1.779 million (even) MSNBC 600,000 (down 8%) CNN 528,000 (down 8%) HLN 337,000 (down 16%).

You realize that "media" encompasses more than just tv.

Quote:Two and a Half Men also dominated the ratings. 

Not to mention that conservatives tend to have FOX News as their primary news source, while Liberals are more likely to branch out.  They're also more likely to get their news online.  And some people watch fox news for the entertainment value.

Not sure exactly how you come to that conclusion.  I know for me, my daily reading/browsing includes many sources including FOX, CNN, NYT, LAT as well as a few business sites and tech sites related to my industry.  Pretty much 99% of my news is obtained online.  When I do watch FOX News, I tend to stay away from the analysis/opinion shows and watch mainly the hard newscasts.

Quote:Lol so true.

Quote:Did you say fox news has more viewers then any other station by far? Wouldn't that mean conservative bias is being pushed to a greater extent in the media?

Quote:Correction Jagibelieve did.

Not only does FOX News have more viewership, I would guess that they probably get more hits online as well.  However, that is only one news outlet.  Add up the viewership of all of the left leaning outlets to see how the numbers compare.  Using the numbers that you posted, lib news television gets approximately 1.465 million and that doesn't include ABC or CBS.

Noodle this one for a bit.  Why is it than when liberal media tries to do what FOX News does it fails?  Are programs hosted by Chris Mathews or Rachel Maddow anywhere near as successful as say Bill ORielly?  How successful was Air America vs. pretty much any conservative news talk show on radio?  The only left leaning radio outlet that comes anywhere near conservative talk radio is NPR.  What would happen if they weren't subsidized by government and had to broadcast on commercial media?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 04:35 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:No, I dont approve of your Fairness Doctrine, though Libbies never jumped up to enforce it in the mediums they control. Almost hypocritical that was. Almost like the legislation was only to take the voice from their opponents. I see I'm being too kind with the "almosts."
You are referring to the below I assume? That is very clearly not enforced? Please expand upon this conspiracy  you are claiming. How do you live with all the conspiracies swirling around in your head?

1. The <b>Fairness Doctrine</b> was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was, in the Commission's view, honest, equitable and balanced.

Quote:Not sure exactly how you come to that conclusion.  I know for me, my daily reading/browsing includes many sources including FOX, CNN, NYT, LAT as well as a few business sites and tech sites related to my industry.  Pretty much 99% of my news is obtained online.  When I do watch FOX News, I tend to stay away from the analysis/opinion shows and watch mainly the hard newscasts.

Not only does FOX News have more viewership, I would guess that they probably get more hits online as well.  However, that is only one news outlet.  Add up the viewership of all of the left leaning outlets to see how the numbers compare.  Using the numbers that you posted, lib news television gets approximately 1.465 million and that doesn't include ABC or CBS.

Noodle this one for a bit.  Why is it than when liberal media tries to do what FOX News does it fails?  Are programs hosted by Chris Mathews or Rachel Maddow anywhere near as successful as say Bill ORielly?  How successful was Air America vs. pretty much any conservative news talk show on radio?  The only left leaning radio outlet that comes anywhere near conservative talk radio is NPR.  What would happen if they weren't subsidized by government and had to broadcast on commercial media?
Fox has perfected the scare for profit model. The left has not. 

Quote:You realize that "media" encompasses more than just tv.

Sure, it was just one example, but atleast I gave an example.

Quote: 

You are referring to the below I assume? That is very clearly not enforced? Please expand upon this conspiracy  you are claiming. How do you live with all the conspiracies swirling around in your head?

1. <div>The <b>Fairness Doctrine</b> was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was, in the Commission's view, honest, equitable and balanced.

</div>

You do know that the "Fairness" Doctrine pretty much amounts to a "state controlled media" right?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Fox has perfected the scare for profit model. The left has not. 

"Scare for profit" model?  Please elaborate.

Actually CNN and huffpo is more popular on the internet than FoxNews.  (Going by Alexa)

The Liberal Media fails where the Conservative Media succeeds because the Liberal Media isn't as good as stirring up fears.  Aside from Shepard Smith, most anchors on Fox do nothing but stir up fear and use emotion to gain an audience.  It's also an age issue of course.  Liberals are younger, Conservatives are older.  That's why conservatives are more likely to get their news from television than from the internet (that doesn't mean conservatives don't just that many of them don't.)

Stir up outrage, and you get ratings.  Both sides get outraged at things, though I'd say conservatives tend to get outraged about the same things, while Liberals tend to branch out more.  One group of Liberals might be outraged at the Michael Brown shooting, while another group might think it justified.  On the other hand, most conservatives get outraged when someone brings up gun control. I'd say conservatives are more focused on preventing negative outcomes (thus it's easier to stir up outrage over)  while liberals are more focused on creating positive outcomes (thus harder to stir up outrage over

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.