Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hawaii's Exchange to be Shuttered

Quote:The state exchange has failed, the feds will take it on if they want it to stay open. That's what it says at IBD, CNBC, Modern Healthcare and any one of a dozen other places. I'm not a Global Warming Scientist, I don't make [BAD WORD REMOVED] up.

Oh man. Good one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Oh man. Good one.

Yeah, that was pretty funny. The cnbc article did not say what they wanted it to say.

Live with the facts, accept the reality.

The article simply says that they are in discussion of who is going to run the market place...

Quote:Yeah, that was pretty funny. The cnbc article did not say what they wanted it to say.

The article simply says that they are in discussion of who is going to run the market place...
you are not nearly angry enough about this to understand

Quote:you are not nearly angry enough about this to understand

It is not enough that the news may be bad, or even indifferent...it must spell DOOM!

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Yes, yes, we know...gub'ment nebber fails. It just needs more resources to make it work.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Yeah, that was pretty funny. The cnbc article did not say what they wanted it to say.

Because it is insolvent, they've spent how much to cover 12,000 people?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Yes, yes, we know...gub'ment nebber fails. It just needs more resources to make it work.

When you have nothing to say...
;

;

Quote:When you have nothing to say...

The media said my piece, and when your liberal water carriers admit there's a problem...well....

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Because it is insolvent, they've spent how much to cover 12,000 people?

did I miss that in the cnbc article? I honestly didn't read that in the link provided...

Quote:did I miss that in the cnbc article? I honestly didn't read that in the link provided...

The link talks about the Feds have to take it over they spent something in the millions to get 12,000 people covered. Then it's going to cost more just to run the administrative side of things then they're going to collect in premiums it's a complete failure in Hawaii.

I hate obamacare but they either have to let the private sector work it our or socialized the whole the damn thing this mixing of the two is the worse possible scenario.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:The link talks about the Feds have to take it over they spent something in the millions to get 12,000 people covered. Then it's going to cost more just to run the administrative side of things then they're going to collect in premiums it's a complete failure in Hawaii.

I hate obamacare but they either have to let the private sector work it our or socialized the whole the damn thing this mixing of the two is the worse possible scenario.

I think we saw what happens when the private insurance companies do it... I think Medicare for all is the only option in this industry... the profit motive by insurance companies just doesn't work when it comes to healthcare, in my opinion.

Quote:did I miss that in the cnbc article? I honestly didn't read that in the link provided...

Here's the quote from CNBC: 

"The exchange, called Hawaii Health Connector, is a nonprofit authorized by the state to handle enrollment for residents. The exchange recently failed to get the approval from legislators necessary to continue operations."

The state was given $204 million dollars by the feds to get this thing running, and they've enrolled 37,000 people over two years. The failure of the state-run exchange jeopardizes their Medicaid subsidy and, if the USSC rules as I believe they will in King, then federal subsidies for residents there will be eliminated too. It's the first of the death spirals we're going to see in several states as the federal dollars start to end and the states are on the hook for more and more of their own Medicaid expenses. Here's another link with more information about the looming shut down:

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/201...vices.html

And Hawaii isn't the only one either; Maryland, Washington state, Oregon, and Massachusetts are all either already shut down, on the verge, or in serious legal trouble. 

Quote:I think we saw what happens when the private insurance companies do it... I think Medicare for all is the only option in this industry... the profit motive by insurance companies just doesn't work when it comes to healthcare, in my opinion.

Forgive me, but have you ever worked in or under the Medicare program? 

Quote:Forgive me, but have you ever worked in or under the Medicare program?

No, the type of work I do has given me instances where I've seen the books of doctors and health care clinics. Medicare as an insurer seems to be viable for the elderly, and is viable financially to the providers of health care. Why not expand it?

Anecdotally, my dad is old enough to qualify. He is still very active, and last year he tweaked his knee. He had surgery on it, and is now back up and active.

I'm sure there are stories of horror, just like in anything that serves the public. But I wonder, if Medicare was so bad, why did Bush's push to privatize it in his second term get blown out of the water by seniors?

Quote:No, the type of work I do has given me instances where I've seen the books of doctors and health care clinics. Medicare as an insurer seems to be viable for the elderly, and is viable financially to the providers of health care. Why not expand it?

Anecdotally, my dad is old enough to qualify. He is still very active, and last year he tweaked his knee. He had surgery on it, and is now back up and active.

I'm sure there are stories of horror, just like in anything that serves the public. But I wonder, if Medicare was so bad, why did Bush's push to privatize it in his second term get blown out of the water by seniors?

Because once you're on the dole it's nearly impossible to get you to give it up?

Medicare is not financially viable for health care providers that's why physicians close their panels to Medicare patients when they reach a threshold of around 40%. Those physicians with a high percentage of Medicare patients are those who are either closing, selling, or retiring; sometimes all three. Commercial insurance contracts are what keep your doctor going, those reliant on Medicare/Medicaid as their primary source of funding are the least financially stable in the industry. But that's what happens when the payer can arbitrarily reduce your reimbursement on the whim of the 535 morons in Congress.

Quote:Here's the quote from CNBC: 

"The exchange, called Hawaii Health Connector, is a nonprofit authorized by the state to handle enrollment for residents. The exchange recently failed to get the approval from legislators necessary to continue operations."

The state was given $204 million dollars by the feds to get this thing running, and they've enrolled 37,000 people over two years. The failure of the state-run exchange jeopardizes their Medicaid subsidy and, if the USSC rules as I believe they will in King, then federal subsidies for residents there will be eliminated too. It's the first of the death spirals we're going to see in several states as the federal dollars start to end and the states are on the hook for more and more of their own Medicaid expenses. Here's another link with more information about the looming shut down:

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/201...vices.html

And Hawaii isn't the only one either; Maryland, Washington state, Oregon, and Massachusetts are all either already shut down, on the verge, or in serious legal trouble. 
Oregon's was crony capitalism at it's finest. The legislators in charge of setting things up had buddies with Oracle who then got a contract, that I kid you not, did not require Oracle to deliver a working website. Of course the company did not deliver a working site. Big old cluster

Quote:Because once you're on the dole it's nearly impossible to get you to give it up?

Medicare is not financially viable for health care providers that's why physicians close their panels to Medicare patients when they reach a threshold of around 40%. Those physicians with a high percentage of Medicare patients are those who are either closing, selling, or retiring; sometimes all three. Commercial insurance contracts are what keep your doctor going, those reliant on Medicare/Medicaid as their primary source of funding are the least financially stable in the industry. But that's what happens when the payer can arbitrarily reduce your reimbursement on the whim of the 535 morons in Congress.
It will never cease to astound me how conservatives vilify the poor for "being on the dole" and in the same breath defend the elderly on medicare, SS or w/e. Might be the first time I've heard someone refer to it the same way as they would the poor, most likely because the elderly is the conservative base.

One has to wonder that if the private insurance industry was not the primary source of funds for doctors etc... Would medicare be able to cover doctors more sufficiently?

Quote:Oregon's was crony capitalism at it's finest. The legislators in charge of setting things up had buddies with Oracle who then got a contract, that I kid you not, did not require Oracle to deliver a working website. Of course the company did not deliver a working site. Big old cluster

So pretty much business as usual in the government sector then?

Quote:It will never cease to astound me how conservatives vilify the poor for "being on the dole" and in the same breath defend the elderly on medicare, SS or w/e. Might be the first time I've heard someone refer to it the same way as they would the poor, most likely because the elderly is the conservative base.

One has to wonder that if the private insurance industry was not the primary source of funds for doctors etc... Would medicare be able to cover doctors more sufficiently?

I don't defend any of that except that SS has taken from working people their entire lives and they should get some return on it. If we could end it tomorrow and have a blanket payout to every person of exactly what they've contributed I'd be elated.

I'm not sure what insurance payments and Medicare payouts have to do with each other?

Quote:So pretty much business as usual in the government sector then?
When the government involves the private yes. Governmental corruption coupled with corporate greed. Like I said, crony capitalism.