Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should the word "Thug" be considered racist?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should the word "Thug" be considered racist?

lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:lol
I know right?

Any bets on the 2 votes for yes?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

For everyone's information...

I only posted this topic in response to the Baltimore riots and the Black communities claim that "Thug" is the "new N-word". There was actually a Baltimore city councilman who claimed on Fox News that the rioters should not be called thugs but "college students". *facepalm* 

Apparently, all of this seems to lead back to an interview with Richard Sherman in which he claimed that the word was racist. Go figure.

Quote:For everyone's information...

I only posted this topic in response to the Baltimore riots and the Black communities claim that "Thug" is the "new N-word". There was actually a Baltimore city councilman who claimed on Fox News that the rioters should not be called thugs but "college students". *facepalm*

Apparently, all of this seems to lead back to an interview with Richard Sherman in which he claimed that the word was racist. Go figure.

I saw that too and immediately called them stoopid..

I was just fondly remembering my days at university...I loved nothing more than sitting around the quad , regaling each other with stories about burning up a police car and stealing my first big screen tv! Ahh...memories.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:When used in a specific context, yes it can be considered racial...

As in most things in life, context is important.

Context? Like the n word ? Saying it ending in r or saying it ending in a. Like..hey R.....or hey my A?

Thug is universal. Italian mobsters? Thugs. Irish Hoodlum? Thugs. Is Paddy racist? They called them Paddy wagons due to many Irish arrests.

What we need is thicker skin. Regardless of its color.
Blakes Life Matters

No! Political correctness has turned every event into a spectical. Media runs with the stupidity and now it' a "thing". I'm offended by the word cookie because it has another derogatory meaning! (Not really, I love me some cookie)
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:Context? Like the n word ? Saying it ending in r or saying it ending in a. Like..hey R.....or hey my A?

Thug is universal. Italian mobsters? Thugs. Irish Hoodlum? Thugs. Is Paddy racist? They called them Paddy wagons due to many Irish arrests.

What we need is thicker skin. Regardless of its color.

No!! We must be offended by EVERYTHING!! And if it doesn't sound racist, TURN it racist dammit!!

Quote:When used in a specific context, yes it can be considered racial...

As in most things in life, context is important.

That's my thought, too.   For example, when a friend of mine says the NBA has too many thugs, he always seems to add that they need more white guys.  

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2015, 08:46 AM by The Real Marty.)

It's all context.   I think what Sherman was talking about was that when people use the word, so often they are talking about black people.   "Thug" has taken on a certain connotation.   But again, the word itself isn't racist or racial, it's when it's used in a certain context, it becomes a racial code word.   In my own experience, I've heard people use that word in certain conversations, and it's always applied to black people. 

Maybe if black thug culture wasn't pushed on us by Hollywood and glorified by liberals then it wouldn't be an issue.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2015, 09:30 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Maybe if black thug culture wasn't pushed on us by Hollywood and glorified by liberals then it wouldn't be an issue.

If you associate black culture with thuggery, then you are a great example of what I am talking about.   If people put the word "thug" together with the word "black" often enough, then "thug" becomes a code word for "black."  

And on a different point, don't you think Hollywood has glorified white thuggery a lot more than black thuggery?   Godfather, Godfather II, Godfather III, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, and on and on?  

Quote:If you associate black culture with thuggery, then you are a great example of what I am talking about. If people put the word "thug" together with the word "black" often enough, then "thug" becomes a code word for "black."

And on a different point, don't you think Hollywood has glorified white thuggery a lot more than black thuggery? Godfather, Godfather II, Godfather III, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, and on and on?

Maybe it says something that whites didn't try to actually live out those images whereas black culture embraced it to the point of emulation? Lets be honest, many blacks try to be thugs because black thug culture is glorified by the famous in movies, music, sports and other entertainments. If we can't speak the truth we can't solve the problems.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2015, 09:51 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Maybe it says something that whites didn't try to actually live out those images whereas black culture embraced it to the point of emulation? Lets be honest, many blacks try to be thugs because black thug culture is glorified by the famous in movies, music, sports and other entertainments. If we can't speak the truth we can't solve the problems.

"...many blacks try to be thugs..."   "...black thug culture..."  There you go again, making my point.   You are using the word "thug" in association with the word "black."  That's what causes a word to become a racial code word.   Pretty soon, people don't need to include the word "black" because they can just use the word "thug" and everybody knows what they're saying. 

Quote:"...many blacks try to be thugs..." "...black thug culture..." There you go again, making my point. You are using the word "thug" in association with the word "black." That's what causes a word to become a racial code word. Pretty soon, people don't need to include the word "black" because they can just use the word "thug" and everybody knows what they're saying.

He does have a pretty valid point. Being a "thug" in this society is pretty much glorified by a lot of urban youth.. You can't deny that at all!! It's not just blacks though, it's also whites.. It's Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Japanese ect.. It's the youth in this country that embrace that culture.. Tupac was more looked up to than teachers, doctors or even parents.. Tupac!! That's a problem..

Quote:"...many blacks try to be thugs..." "...black thug culture..." There you go again, making my point. You are using the word "thug" in association with the word "black." That's what causes a word to become a racial code word. Pretty soon, people don't need to include the word "black" because they can just use the word "thug" and everybody knows what they're saying.

Why are you so afraid to call it what it is? You will make no difference until you recognize the problem for what it is.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2015, 02:10 PM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Why are you so afraid to call it what it is? You will make no difference until you recognize the problem for what it is.

You continue to miss my point.   I am not saying anything about whether black culture is thug culture, or whether black youth embrace the thug culture.  My point is very narrow.   I am saying that if you use two words together enough, pretty soon you only have to use one of them because everyone knows what you mean.   If you use the words "thug" and "black" together often enough, then eventually you will only have to say "thug" and everyone will know you mean "black." 

And that is how "thug" becomes a code word for "black."  I know a lot of people, and some of them use the word "thug" and every time they use that word it is in relation to blacks.  

That's all I'm saying.   If the question is, is the word thug a racist word, my answer is, it can take on a racial connotation depending on the context.   If my friend says the NBA has too many thugs and needs more white players, it's obvious what he means. 

Do some people use the word "thug" in a racial context? Yup.. Does that make the word "thug" racial? Nope..

Will I stop calling people thugs when they act like thugs? Nope..

Act like a thug, get called a thug.. Don't like being called a thug? Stop acting like one.. It's pretty simple..

While we are at it, are there any more words out there that they consider racist besides "thug" and the "n" word?

Maybe hoodlum, is that one racist?

How about hood rat, is that one racist?

What about criminal, is that one racist?

Could gangster be considered racist?

Any other words...............................they might consider racist?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.