Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Capitalism, Communism or just plain Theft? - merged

Quote:Jon Stewart tends to attack the left pretty hard sometimes too. Rush's attitude toward women is something I find vile..

Meh Rush is hostile towards women and Stewart is hostile towards religion they both have their issues the lose rationality on.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Meh Rush is hostile towards women and Stewart is hostile towards religion they both have their issues the lose rationality on.

I don't think Stewart is that hostile towards religion, especially given his interview with Richard Dawkins.  

Rush on the other hand, some of his comments on women go way too far.  As a father and a husband, I find his comments extremely vile.  It's nothing but spewing hatred, which is why I compare him to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:It's a better news source than the right's primary source for 'news' foxnews. MSNBC is not any better either.

MSNBC is now owned by Comcast. It's no more a liberal media outlet than Fox news, economically speaking.

The entire cable news conglomerate is run by those that have a stake in keeping the current corporate structure as is. Yeah, social issues will be played. But social issues don't change the war the wealth continues to perpetrate against workers.

Some may argue that the federal system is what holds workers down, but from my experience, that's not the case. For every instance one can point to in regards to federal overreach, you can point to business influence that has a larger detriment to the overall majority class.

You say raisins, I say Halliburton.

Quote:this year the stat of Georgia decided that all Vidalia onions could not be sold until may 4th (pretty sure may 4th). the reason for this is each farmer acting independently wanted to be first to market. the problem was it created a huge problem with quality. the farmers that would have been first to market will lose lots of money. on the flip side there image will be kept intact. big government intervention is not all bad.

You need the government to tell you when to buy an onion?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:this year the stat of Georgia decided that all Vidalia onions could not be sold until may 4th (pretty sure may 4th). the reason for this is each farmer acting independently wanted to be first to market. the problem was it created a huge problem with quality. the farmers that would have been first to market will lose lots of money. on the flip side there image will be kept intact. big government intervention is not all bad.

I could care less what the "stat' of Georgia does since I don't live there.  However, I do have a problem with the Federal Government pretty much stealing from the farmers.  Again, how exactly does the Raisin Administrative Committee spend $65.5 million dollars?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I could care less what the "stat' of Georgia does since I don't live there.  However, I do have a problem with the Federal Government pretty much stealing from the farmers.  Again, how exactly does the Raisin Administrative Committee spend $65.5 million dollars?

Marvin Gaye royalties. :thumbsup:

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The SCOTUS rules in favor of raisin farmers and personal property rights.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/2...KY20150622

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

Quote:I could care less what the "stat' of Georgia does since I don't live there.  However, I do have a problem with the Federal Government pretty much stealing from the farmers.  Again, how exactly does the Raisin Administrative Committee spend $65.5 million dollars?

How much less could you care?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Well... I'm certainly familiar with the RAC, as well as with Big Marv.

To whomever asked, hell no we aren't in favor of the RAC. Thankfully, there has been no reserve for the last 4 years or so though.

Anyone looking for a better explanation can watch a few videos on this:

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/0...california"]http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/08/09/210490760/the-raisin-outlaw-of-kerman-california

http://youtu.be/HFbzLPJtYPE

Quote:The SCOTUS rules in favor of raisin farmers and personal property rights.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/2...KY20150622

This is great news, and something that I am 100% in agreement with.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:This is great news, and something that I am 100% in agreement with.

I certainly agree but it was already effectually defunct as a program. I don't keep up with the inner workings of it being that I'm fairly new to raisin farming but they haven't had a reserve in at least the last four years.

BTW the "cartel" problem exist in green grape growing as well, albeit in another form.

Quote:I certainly agree but it was already effectually defunct as a program. I don't keep up with the inner workings of it being that I'm fairly new to raisin farming but they haven't had a reserve in at least the last four years.

BTW the "cartel" problem exist in green grape growing as well, albeit in another form.

Obviously you are more knowledgeable about these things than I am.  What is your feeling regarding doing away with this useless government agency?

Quote:Obviously you are more knowledgeable about these things than I am.  What is your feeling regarding doing away with this useless government agency?

Thumbs up.

My feeling is that it's exactly things like that, that are chasing the small American farmer away, and turning farming into something controlled by huge corporations and foreign markets.

Also, if the reserve put into effect again, I'd personally stop growing my grapes for raisins and move back to a champagne program, which is what I did before.

Supreme Court says government seizure of raisins is unconstitutional

WASHINGTON –  The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the government can't force raisin farmers to give up part of their annual crop for less than it's worth, a victory for conservative groups that hailed the decision as a win for private property rights.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/...itutional/

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:Supreme Court says government seizure of raisins is unconstitutional

WASHINGTON –  The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the government can't force raisin farmers to give up part of their annual crop for less than it's worth, a victory for conservative groups that hailed the decision as a win for private property rights.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/...itutional/

I don't think it was just conservative groups, I think every thinking person saw that whole idea of raisin reserve as a crazy, stupid, useless thing.  

My neighbor was in the Journal this week.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/california-...1487768402

Doesn't really have much to do with the RAC per se but some might find this interesting.