Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poz gets 1 Year Extension

Apparently the Poz bashers missed where our run defense went off a cliff when he got hurt
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It increases the chances of a trade if he has a lower cap number, actually. Not saying that's what this is foreshadowing, but the odds are higher than they were an hour ago.

Im hoping that this is the reason. Other than that, im teed off. What the hell is the front office thinking? (unless its to trade him. lol)

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, he is a very instinctive player and a team leader. On the other, instincts won't do you much good if you run like your feet are covered in glue.

Exactly.

Quote:Poz still has plenty of speed. The guy plays at a near Pro Bowl level and doesn't deserve half the smack he gets from this board.

Speed where?

#iamlegend

If by some chance Eric Kendricks falls to the 2nd you have to take him. If Skuta lives up to his contract the LB core could be a strength on our team

Quote:Exactly.

Speed where?

He's a middle linebacker that moves sideline to sideline and  makes plays all over the field.   To act like that never happened is disingenuous.  

Poz is good.  He is a solid player like James Farrior was with the Steelers.   The problem is that we never surrounded him with any playmakers around him so he had to be that guy. 

Is he overpaid?  who knows and who cares.  Gene Freaking Smith got us so brainwashed about trying to get great deals and anything over $6m was a deal breaker that we ended up with a bunch of below average role players on this team.

OOPs .... disregard the above statements ..... Poz is Penn State, he sucks !!

Quote:Poz is an asset to this team. On the field, in the locker room and in the community. Those that down him are clueless.
Clueless? Not really. Listen, before you go on with the 'clueless' banter, go re-watch the last two seasons with Poz on the field. Notice that many of the big gains are happening right over the middle; the very area that is supposed to be covered by Poz. That's why people on here are saying he's gotten too slow!

I have no reason to think that Poz doesn't play with the utmost of heart. He is regarded as a team leader, a tremendous asset to the community, and highly respected by anyone of any knowledge. 

However... no amount of postulating can change the evidence that Poz is showing signs of having become too slow for reliable pass coverage; other teams know it and take advantage of it. Just watch video from the last couple of seasons of us getting ripped over and over again across the middle with Poz in there. It's no coincidence that we got targeted so often in that area with Poz in there.

He isn't getting younger either, so the speed issues aren't going to suddenly get better; indeed, they will get worse and he will grow as a pass coverage liability, not get better. The truth is that with the emphasis on the passing game, Poz is a 'weak link'. The drop off in the defense with Poz out was because of the inexperience that replaced him. Our opponents simply took advantage of that. Poz has the knowledge and experience... but he's loosing the physical ability to reliably apply it in pass coverage against younger, faster TE's and receivers.

I wish Poz would prove me wrong and totally dominate in pass coverage to the point that receivers feared to come near him... but I have no reason to expect that to happen; time is against him along with the rules of the 'new' game. Consequently, offering him an extension is admittedly surprising. I suppose I can see it if, as some of the supposedly 'clueless' on here have suggested, it might be a means to lowering his cap value to make him more viable as a trade.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasy...-extension

Not going anywhere.

I for one am glad (provided he'll be healthy and able to play before the start of the season -torn pec) but I know many felt that he didnt deserve to stay.  I simply think they didnt watch the games close enough to see what they thought was Poz messing up was sometimes him trying to cover for Geno who had messed up and others.  Sure he wasnt perfect but his toughness, heart to be in each play (much like we saw with Telvin the hustle), and overall character makes me as a fan enjoy watching him play as a Jaguar!

We have not even seen the new contract details have we? To me it sounds like he is taking a paycut and they had to add a year to it in order to get it done. 

;

;

Quote:Poz still has plenty of speed. The guy plays at a near Pro Bowl level and doesn't deserve half the smack he gets from this board.

Agreed.  I get some of the smack because there are times where he can be a liability,  but overall, he's one of those guys teams WANT on their roster.  He's not done.  Not even close.  

Quote:Reminds me of Rashean Mathis and the stick he took. Poz will be fine and better than most at his position in the league

But...but....he's not the best player at his position, so we must replace him.  With what?  No idea.  But, we just have to replace him.  Harrumph!

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Poz is good.  He is a solid player like James Farrior was with the Steelers.   The problem is that we never surrounded him with any playmakers around him so he had to be that guy. 

Is he overpaid?  who knows and who cares.  Gene Freaking Smith got us so brainwashed about trying to get great deals and anything over $6m was a deal breaker that we ended up with a bunch of below average role players on this team.

OOPs .... disregard the above statements ..... Poz is Penn State, he sucks !!

Completely agree with this, and the good news is that the team is doing everything they can to rectify that issue.

On being overpaid, again, I completely agree.  Who cares?  It's as if these people who use that as their great argument against him are actually stroking the game checks.  This team isn't in cap trouble, and was more than capable of affording his contract. 

The thing I find curious about the article is that it says they may have done this extension to create cap space in 2015.  Do these reporters actually pay attention to the cap health of teams? 

I think they did this deal to give him an opportunity to finish his career with the Jaguars.  He's a popular guy with the fans (except for the bean counting fans apparently), he's still an effective asset on the field, and he's a leader on the roster. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2015, 09:49 AM by Joe.)

Not exactly sure why people don't like this move. It's pretty much the Tyson Alualu signing, except Poz is actually productive.

I'm sure Poz won't be a full time starter. We'll see what the contract numbers are, but If that's the case, then I believe he would be a good rotational LB.

Alfie Crow and Co will all simultaneously scratch their heads in dismay as their leaders opinion was once again proved false. 

P.S. Hes not THAT bad. Sure he was a bit overpaid and coverage was not his strength, but he has been a pretty darn good football player for this team and he constantly is  making plays. 

Quote:Agreed.  I get some of the smack because there are times where he can be a liability,  but overall, he's one of those guys teams WANT on their roster.  He's not done.  Not even close.  

But...but....he's not the best player at his position, so we must replace him.  With what?  No idea.  But, we just have to replace him.  Harrumph!

Can somebody give video evidence of this speed he has? Im not being a jerk, I just know what I saw, and it wasnt alot of speed.

Quote:Clueless? Not really. Listen, before you go on with the 'clueless' banter, go re-watch the last two seasons with Poz on the field. Notice that many of the big gains are happening right over the middle; the very area that is supposed to be covered by Poz. That's why people on here are saying he's gotten too slow!

I have no reason to think that Poz doesn't play with the utmost of heart. He is regarded as a team leader, a tremendous asset to the community, and highly respected by anyone of any knowledge.

However... no amount of postulating can change the evidence that Poz is showing signs of having become too slow for reliable pass coverage; other teams know it and take advantage of it. Just watch video from the last couple of seasons of us getting ripped over and over again across the middle with Poz in there. It's no coincidence that we got targeted so often in that area with Poz in there.

He isn't getting younger either, so the speed issues aren't going to suddenly get better; indeed, they will get worse and he will grow as a pass coverage liability, not get better. The truth is that with the emphasis on the passing game, Poz is a 'weak link'. The drop off in the defense with Poz out was because of the inexperience that replaced him. Our opponents simply took advantage of that. Poz has the knowledge and experience... but he's loosing the physical ability to reliably apply it in pass coverage against younger, faster TE's and receivers.

I wish Poz would prove me wrong and totally dominate in pass coverage to the point that receivers feared to come near him... but I have no reason to expect that to happen; time is against him along with the rules of the 'new' game. Consequently, offering him an extension is admittedly surprising. I suppose I can see it if, as some of the supposedly 'clueless' on here have suggested, it might be a means to lowering his cap value to make him more viable as a trade.

I totally agree with this post.

Ill add the fact that most if not all backs run away from Poz. Last season I was angered by how many times he was trailing the play slowly.

#iamlegend

Glad to see Poz returning.. Was hoping he would.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Probably indicates a restructuring of his contract. Dave has a good track record working with veterans to make these contracts team friendly.

Im speculating but: The final year may be non guaranteed so in reality if he can play the contract out he is cheaper and if not, easier to cut.

Poz + Smith is going to be fun to watch. add in a draft pick like fowler or Beasley and I have high hopes for our leo/LB group.

Quote:Clueless? Not really. Listen, before you go on with the 'clueless' banter, go re-watch the last two seasons with Poz on the field. Notice that many of the big gains are happening right over the middle; the very area that is supposed to be covered by Poz. That's why people on here are saying he's gotten too slow!

Regardless of anyone's feelings or evaluation of Poz, that first bolded statement is a gross over-simplification of the issue.  Your point is still valid, it's just not as all-encompassing and widespread as you suggest.  Poz was  not able to affect completions to TEs in his zone as frequently as you would like to see happen from a highly paid MLB.  That was true on at least a dozen occasions over the past two seasons by my estimation.  And it is an issue. However- 

"Many of the big gains happening right over the middle" is way too broad a stroke and includes many more players screwing up.  Especially the safeties. 

In regard to the second bolded statement (well,both statements really) -  Did you notice where New England targeted the Seahawks defense heavily in their Super Bowl win?  

Right over the middle. It's a weakness in this Bradley/Carroll scheme.  The teams that have played Seattle well in the past couple of years have figured that out -  and last year we saw more teams at least try to do it. Dallas did it very well also. 

Obviously - it's easier to capitalize upon such a weakness when facing the '14  Jags LB rotation and safeties than Seattles finely tuned machine.  

Poz isn't going to pass cover like Bobby Wagner, but he can do a good job for the Jags until they find their own Bobby Wagner. Lord knows they don't grow on trees. 

Poz is a really good MLB with a few years still left on his tires.

Glad he is sticking around.

Poz is one of the last of the "old school" mlbs I think.

His coverage skills are terrible, at times.

That being said, he's probably the best MLB we have rostered currently. And drafting one to replace him is still an option.