Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Where do you shop for furniture?

Quote:It's the walmart stuff my three boys ages 3-7 are just destroying. It stands no chance!

Unless you're just dead set on buying brand new stuff, I'd hit craigslist up like junkie looking for their next fix and start looking for someone selling a nice, sturdy, real wood set of youth bedroom room furniture from the 60's or 70's. You know the kind...twin beds or bunks with a dresser, night stands and probably a bookshelf-hutch of some sort. It might take a few weeks of hunting, but you will probably find something decently priced, (or negotiable...for the love of God, haggle!!) that will look better and last way longer than any of the crap you'll find at your local mass market furniture crap store.

But I'm extremely biased about real wood, good quality furniture... :yes:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Unless you're just dead set on buying brand new stuff, I'd hit craigslist up like junkie looking for their next fix and start looking for someone selling a nice, sturdy, real wood set of youth bedroom room furniture from the 60's or 70's. You know the kind...twin beds or bunks with a dresser, night stands and probably a bookshelf-hutch of some sort. It might take a few weeks of hunting, but you will probably find something decently priced, (or negotiable...for the love of God, haggle!!) that will look better and last way longer than any of the crap you'll find at your local mass market furniture crap store.

But I'm extremely biased about real wood, good quality furniture... :yes:

Thats how we found my Daughters bedrooms set, hands down the best furniture in the house. But I've bought now 2 different bunk beds second hand (craigslist) one of them lasted about a year, this one is holding up ok but it's only been a few months. I have yet to find a good dresser besides the one in my daughters room. That seems to be the hardest thing to find is quality dressers. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Smart man, I bought a "wood" dresser about 6 months ago, went to put the kids clothes away and found out you can't even open the dumb drawers because the bottom is falling out into the drawer under it.

That's when I started this thread.

Geesh. I feel bad for those families that bought coffins from them...
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Thats how we found my Daughters bedrooms set, hands down the best furniture in the house. But I've bought now 2 different bunk beds second hand (craigslist) one of them lasted about a year, this one is holding up ok but it's only been a few months. I have yet to find a good dresser besides the one in my daughters room. That seems to be the hardest thing to find is quality dressers.

Yeah...right now everyone is buying those kind of dressers and slapping chalk paint on them and trying to sell them for crazy prices. It makes my blood start to boil when I see a beautiful wood piece destroyed and then pimped out like that!!

Yes...I have furniture issues. Sad

We liked Haverty's.

Not a huge fan of Rooms to Go or Ashley. Of all, American Signature was trash.

Quote:We liked Haverty's.

Not a huge fan of Rooms to Go or Ashley. Of all, American Signature was trash.

I agree. I'd avoid those three like the plague!!

Quote:Goodwill.
 Hunting

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Ikea because i like arguing with my fiance

Quote: Hunting
wrong thread. :thumbsup:

Quote:Is it quality stuff or am I going to just be cursing your name putting it together for nothing?

As long as you stay away from the bottom of the range it should be fine.

Quote:As long as you stay away from the bottom of the range it should be fine.

This actually goes for a lot of things in life.

Good advice.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Atlantic Bedding and Furniture. I used to work there, so say you know Joe and they'll give you a better deal.

They can get Ashley stuff for around 40% less, as well as about 5 other manufactures . Ashley is pretty cheap stuff unless its one of their premium sets, which they can get.

If you don't feel like taking a u-haul up to NC and hitting all of the furniture manufacturers between Ashville and High Point, check out Furniture Mart in Jax.  Very reasonably priced, high quality furniture. 

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

I took a small UHaul trailer to Orlando a few years ago and loaded up on Ikea furniture for my kids rooms.   Cheap particle board that looks nice.  It's all good if you don't plan to sell your house and have to move it.

If you are going wood, that will be expensive.  You may want to take a part time job at the store and try to steal it after hours.   just a thought.

Quote:I've always been a second hand purchaser of furniture, but I'm finally at the point I need to just buy a new bedroom set for the kids. I've bought some "furniture" from the discount stores but it's just crap, it doesn't hold up. So where do you buy real furniture, with real wood? I know there's rooms to go but that's gotta be the most expensive way to go right?

I'm in Putnam County so pretty much anywhere in Clay, Duval, St. Johns is game it's all the same drive for me.
How is it possible you don't make your own furniture? I'm shocked  :mellow:

Quote:I took a small UHaul trailer to Orlando a few years ago and loaded up on Ikea furniture for my kids rooms.   Cheap particle board that looks nice.  It's all good if you don't plan to sell your house and have to move it.

If you are going wood, that will be expensive.  You may want to take a part time job at the store and try to steal it after hours.   just a thought.
I have several things from IKEA. Survived moves from AZ to Oregon and than 3 moves inside Oregon. It's pretty sturdy stuff for the price IMO. 

Quote:How is it possible you don't make your own furniture? I'm shocked :mellow:

Lol I've built some garage furniture and our chicken house but the wife has a standard my capabilities are just not at yet for the kids furniture.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Lol I've built some garage furniture and our chicken house but the wife has a standard my capabilities are just not at yet for the kids furniture.
Kids furniture is easy. Just make it smaller and be sure to include lots of spikes, sharp edges and dark holes for them to poke around in.

I have gotten a few things at IKEA. Not great quality but for kids, it works.

;

;

Where is this Furniture Mart?

I recently (within the last 5 years) replaced a bunch of Rooms To Go crap with a bunch of Haverty's crap.

I'll be child free before too much longer, and then I can have nice things.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]