Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can we all agree on one thing that is happening in Washington?

In my opinion, the current First Lady is the best looking one since Laura Bush (as if the looks of the First Lady even matters).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:In my opinion, the current First Lady is the best looking one since Laura Bush (as if the looks of the First Lady even matters).
It doesn't!  It's completely frivolous and unimportant, and ultimately subjective!

My vote for hottest president's daughter is Tricia Nixon.

Hottest wife?  Jacqueline Kennedy, but I haven't had much of a look past her.  Dolly Madison and Frances Cleveland were supposed to have been quite beautiful.

Quote:It doesn't! It's completely frivolous and unimportant, and ultimately subjective!

My vote for hottest president's daughter is Tricia Nixon.

Hottest wife? Jacqueline Kennedy, but I haven't had much of a look past her. Dolly Madison and Frances Cleveland were supposed to have been quite beautiful.
that wasn't the point, I was seeing if there was anything in Washington that both sides could agree on. And it began as a slight joke, but then, well this happened. And yes Jacqueline Kennedy was, imo the best looking First Lady this country has every had.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017, 07:00 PM by JagsorDie.)

Quote:I believe that it goes deeper than that. Technology starting in perhaps the late 1980's along with poor education has generally made people more "ignorant". In general, most people aren't taught to think for themselves, they are taught to memorize. They are also "taught" that there is only one correct way to come up with a solution to a problem. Math is a very good example of that. When adding up say five 3 digit numbers manually we are taught to add up all of the one's then carry over the extra digits to the 10's and so forth to come up with the answer. However, a different method can be used to come up with the correct answer by adding up the 100's first, then the 10's and finally the one's. Both ways will still give the correct answer, but the second method is considered "wrong" in grade school when taking a test where you have to show your work.

Many people, particularly the younger generations are dependent technology such as google or a calculator application on their smart phones, or what the computer that has become cash registers tell them. There are scores of people that couldn't actually run business transactions handling money and making change without technology.

Now expand that example on a greater scale where you have technology and media constantly displayed in front of you. News websites, blogs, social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter put content in front of people at a very rapid pace, and people believe whatever they see without doing the actual research. The technology is carried around in our pockets in the form of smart phones, or on tablets, laptops, desktop computers or on our TV.

There was a saying that I heard a long time ago from a marketing professional that rings true to this very day and can be expressed as a math equation. "Successful Advertising = ((what you say x how many times you say it) x (who you say it to))". Think about that.
excellent points all around. I'm sure you have heard of the theory but it sounds a lot of the theory of the "math block". Look it up. But my general understanding of this is that people who are not good in math Are generally not good at critical thinking/problem solving. The theory behind the math block is that people put up a block when doing a math problem and decide early on that they do not understand the problem thus they will never get it. This this trickles down to all areas of critical thinking beyond math but math is a general point where you can see this unfold in a person that has "a math block "

Quote:excellent points all around. I'm sure you have heard of the theory but it sounds a lot of the theory of the "math block". Look it up. But my general understanding of this is that people who are not good in math Are generally not good at critical thinking/problem solving. The theory behind the math block is that people put up a block when doing a math problem and decide early on that they do not understand the problem thus they will never get it. This this trickles down to all areas of critical thinking beyond math but math is a general point where you can see this unfold in a person that has "a math block "

If you really look at it, human history is all about math.  Every problem or solution is all done with math.  Everything that we use today is all controlled by math.  The very computer that you use to post to this forum whether it's a desktop PC, a tablet or a smart phone ultimately does it by doing math.

What really would blow people away is the fact that this has been done for thousands of years.  Simple things that are "trivial" are all related to math in one way or another.  Why is there 60 seconds in a minute?  Why are there 60 minutes in an hour?  Why is there 24 hours in a day?  Why is there 365 days in a year?  Rather than give the "textbook" answer to those questions that you've been "educated" to answer, figure it out for yourself.  Don't use your "smart" appliance, just use your mind.  My bet is that most people can't figure it out with paper and pencil based on their "education".

The current generation presented with a problem like this will quickly turn to their phones to "ask google" or "Ask Alexa" or "Ask Siri".  They are then presented with media that may or may not be correct, yet they accept that as the truth and the answer.

What I'm getting at is, everything in one way or another is done by math.  Look at healthcare.  Your blood work that gets done is determined by math.  The alignment on your car is done by math.  Even the very words on this forum is determined by math or numbers.  A computer doesn't "understand" letters but it does understand numbers.  Each letter or character that you type on this very forum is a number to a computer.

Look at ancient or historical things.  Everything was created using numbers to do so.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:If you really look at it, human history is all about math. Every problem or solution is all done with math. Everything that we use today is all controlled by math. The very computer that you use to post to this forum whether it's a desktop PC, a tablet or a smart phone ultimately does it by doing math.

What really would blow people away is the fact that this has been done for thousands of years. Simple things that are "trivial" are all related to math in one way or another. Why is there 60 seconds in a minute? Why are there 60 minutes in an hour? Why is there 24 hours in a day? Why is there 365 days in a year? Rather than give the "textbook" answer to those questions that you've been "educated" to answer, figure it out for yourself. Don't use your "smart" appliance, just use your mind. My bet is that most people can't figure it out with paper and pencil based on their "education".

The current generation presented with a problem like this will quickly turn to their phones to "ask google" or "Ask Alexa" or "Ask Siri". They are then presented with media that may or may not be correct, yet they accept that as the truth and the answer.

What I'm getting at is, everything in one way or another is done by math. Look at healthcare. Your blood work that gets done is determined by math. The alignment on your car is done by math. Even the very words on this forum is determined by math or numbers. A computer doesn't "understand" letters but it does understand numbers. Each letter or character that you type on this very forum is a number to a computer.

Look at ancient or historical things. Everything was created using numbers to do so.
So are you saying everything is about Math?

Math sux
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:excellent points all around. I'm sure you have heard of the theory but it sounds a lot of the theory of the "math block". Look it up. But my general understanding of this is that people who are not good in math Are generally not good at critical thinking/problem solving. The theory behind the math block is that people put up a block when doing a math problem and decide early on that they do not understand the problem thus they will never get it. This this trickles down to all areas of critical thinking beyond math but math is a general point where you can see this unfold in a person that has "a math block "
I had never heard of Math block but that makes a lot of sense to me. I wonder if it is the Math or just doing something actually rigorous that creates that block though. 

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:I had never heard of Math block but that makes a lot of sense to me. I wonder if it is the Math or just doing something actually rigorous that creates that block though.
In my public speaking corse in college, I had a person give a presentation on this years ago. Then I heard about it again in a philosophy course. It wasn't part of the core curriculum but was brought up durring general discussion during the class. Funny I can't find much on it now but I'm not making it up. It made a lot of since to me because math and arithmetic are essentially problem solving.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:In my public speaking corse in college, I had a person give a presentation on this years ago. Then I heard about it again in a philosophy course. It wasn't part of the core curriculum but was brought up durring general discussion during the class. Funny I can't find much on it now but I'm not making it up. It made a lot of since to me because math and arithmetic are essentially problem solving.

It's problem solving within a set of clearly defined set of rules much like a game. Once you understand the game you can solve the problem. I think true problem solving comes when there are no clearly defined rules to guide you into solving the problem(s). You could make the case that our very existence and everything we experience is based on probabilities and formulas, and that what we don't know is simply math for which we don't understand.

Quote:In my public speaking corse in college, I had a person give a presentation on this years ago. Then I heard about it again in a philosophy course. It wasn't part of the core curriculum but was brought up durring general discussion during the class. Funny I can't find much on it now but I'm not making it up. It made a lot of since to me because math and arithmetic are essentially problem solving.
Not in the common core math world. 

Math is not my strong suit by a long shot but I am able to solve problems and figure things out and make decisions based on information from many sources. I may not be as good as it as people who are good at math but I make do with what I have. Maybe my love of reading about a variety of subjects and interest in learning from different sources is what is helpful to me.

Quote:So are you saying everything is about Math?

Pretty much everything that is relevant.  When I say that I'm speaking from a logical perspective.  Now of course, other fundamentals are important (reading and writing).  However, the difference between math and the written word is math is absolute while the written word is subjective.

Without math, science isn't possible.  Without math, computers would not work.  Everything is based on numbers and logic.  Think of one occupation that doesn't rely on math in some way.  It doesn't exist.

Quote:Not in the common core math world.

Math is not my strong suit by a long shot but I am able to solve problems and figure things out and make decisions based on information from many sources. I may not be as good as it as people who are good at math but I make do with what I have. Maybe my love of reading about a variety of subjects and interest in learning from different sources is what is helpful to me.
i suppose this is one of those where not all problem solving is math but most math is problem solving.

Quote:Pretty much everything that is relevant. When I say that I'm speaking from a logical perspective. Now of course, other fundamentals are important (reading and writing). However, the difference between math and the written word is math is absolute while the written word is subjective.

Without math, science isn't possible. Without math, computers would not work. Everything is based on numbers and logic. Think of one occupation that doesn't rely on math in some way. It doesn't exist.
It was a joke lol

Quote:i suppose this is one of those where not all problem solving is math but most math is problem solving.
Most math makes me want to vomit. Lol. I can deal with numbers but you start adding squiggly lines, parentheses and letters and I'm done. There is nothing in my life I have had to do that required algebra, geometry, trig, calculus and whatever else is out there. I guess it's a good thing I never wanted to be a scientist, doctor, astronaut, etc. I'd be screwed. 

Quote:Most math makes me want to vomit. Lol. I can deal with numbers but you start adding squiggly lines, parentheses and letters and I'm done. There is nothing in my life I have had to do that required algebra, geometry, trig, calculus and whatever else is out there. I guess it's a good thing I never wanted to be a scientist, doctor, astronaut, etc. I'd be screwed.
lol I understand your sentiment, my fiancé is the same way. I'm the opposite. To me, math always seemed to make since, there was always an answer, and a way to check the answer. You can normally work problems backwards and forwards. It can very challenging, but you always have to meet it with the "challenge accepted" mind set.