Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elon Musk reports disastrous 4Q earnings for Tesla Motors

Quote:Well, my point about the Corvette was about the cars, and that the Corvette was much more of one. If it were the same price, I'd still pick the Corvette.

And yes, I'd pick the BMW as well, much for the reason DF illustrated earlier.

you would take the bmw over the totally electric tesla, when the tesla has the same or better performance? same leg room, same load capacity....

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2015, 05:07 PM by Achilles.)

Quote:Everyone I know under 40 wants one of those bad boys.

i 100% plan on buying one to replace my current bmw 325.

on average, i estimated itll save me about 3k a year on fuel.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:What's your point?

That your evidence is as anecdotal as mine. What we're left with is the fact of the company's financial struggle described in the article posted in the OP, and my subsequent supposition as to why that is.

Quote:i 100% plan on buying one to replace my current bmw 325.

on average, i estimated itll save me about 3k a year on fuel.

How long do the batteries last, and what's the cost to replace them? And what happens to the old batteries? Landfill?

Quote:That your evidence is as anecdotal as mine. What we're left with is the fact of the company's financial struggle described in the article posted in the OP, and my subsequent supposition as to why that is.

its a young company thats putting out electric vehicles ahead of the trend.

you can buy a 35k bmw

ill buy a 35k tesla

in 5 years that bmw is gonna cost you another 15k in fuel

in 5 years the tesla will cost me 0 dollars.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2015, 05:23 PM by Achilles.)

Quote:How long do the batteries last, and what's the cost to replace them? And what happens to the old batteries? Landfill?

tesla has stated they will replace the batteries for free and they will recycle them.

edit: thats speculation for the model 3 in articles ive read.

after a little research it looks like  Tesla guarantees your 85kWh battery for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

http://gizmodo.com/why-teslas-model-3-co...1605923541

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://gizmodo.com/why-teslas-model-3-could-be-the-most-important-electric-1605923541'>http://gizmodo.com/why-teslas-model-3-could-be-the-most-important-electric-1605923541</a>

Interesting article. Food for thought, for sure.

Quote:That your evidence is as anecdotal as mine. What we're left with is the fact of the company's financial struggle described in the article posted in the OP, and my subsequent supposition as to why that is.

My evidence? Lol.

My bad, I didn't know we were all taking this topic so serious.

You asked who wants them and I was simply saying a lot of people I know like them. I'll bring a stronger and less anecdotal counter to your supposition next time I guess.

Quote:Interesting article. Food for thought, for sure.

yeah its a head start to the future. the car looks really good and is going to save me money. plus idk if youve ever driven an electric car, the acceleration is instant, you dont have to wait for combustion so you press down on the pedal and youre going that second. its pretty cool.

Quote:My evidence? Lol.

My bad, I didn't know we were all taking this topic so serious.

You asked who wants them and I was simply saying a lot of people I know like them. I'll bring a stronger and less anecdotal counter to your supposition next time I guess.

Well, you did ask what my point was. It seemed obvious to me. But yeah, it's just a discussion, so point taken.

0-60 in 3 seconds and spanking the Ferrari in drags. I'm impressed but not enough to drop down the coin required to purchase one.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Well it doesn't help that he has made all his designs and tech open to the public by not perusing any patents. Great mind that might help society turn the corner from fossil fuel but that doesn't make him a wise businessman.

Kind of like the guy that gave away the polio vaccine
I think this actually a smart move. The major obstacle to electric adoption, if you ignore price for now, is wide scale availability of charging stations. Should other MFR's want to sell more cars they are likely to support construction of infrastructure to support it. Thus not putting the entire burden on Tesla to build these stations.

Quote:I think this actually a smart move. The major obstacle to electric adoption, if you ignore price for now, is wide scale availability of charging stations. Should other MFR's want to sell more cars they are likely to support construction of infrastructure to support it. Thus not putting the entire burden on Tesla to build these stations.

I think that's the idea it just makes for not so great business spread sheets at the moment. I don't know if Telsa will ever be a big winner in the business world but I think he will help contribute to an alternative fuel for transportation and that seems to be his bigger goal. In 10 years we're all going to look back and not even recognize transportation, there's some huge things happening very fast.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I think that's the idea it just makes for not so great business spread sheets at the moment. I don't know if Telsa will ever be a big winner in the business world but I think he will help contribute to an alternative fuel for transportation and that seems to be his bigger goal. In 10 years we're all going to look back and not even recognize transportation, there's some huge things happening very fast.
He certainly doesn't do anything for the short term gain that's for sure. He's one of the few big long game thinkers that actually gets pub. Probably because he doesn't just talk about doing cool stuff but actually does it. 

Quote:Well now you're talking about another price range

But in terms of the whole picture, if this new model 3 comes out for 35k and its similar to a BMW 3 series. Do you have an argument against it?
The main reason I would skip over the Tesla currently is the joy of driving with three pedals.

Quote:The main reason I would skip over the Tesla currently is the joy of driving with three pedals.
Driving stick is just better. Much like the metric system.

Quote:Driving stick is just better. Much like the metric system.

I side with the Euro's on that, metric is so much better than standard. Now Celsius other the hand..........

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

TSLA has become my favorite trading vehicle.  Thank you, Elan!

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

Quote:I side with the Euro's on that, metric is so much better than standard. Now Celsius other the hand..........
I used to think Celsius > Fahrenheit but after thinking about neither is any better than the other. Both use completely arbitrary scales and neither line up conveniently with absolute zero. Just a matter of habit as to which you prefer.