Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It is a three-year rebuild...

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on Joeckel quite yet.  He better improve next year though.  I'm going with the fact that he started last year at RT and then moved over to LT for about 12 plays.  He's essentially going through his rookie year this year.  Hit the weight room and the buffet and then come back in August ready to play.  He needs to show improvement then.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Cyprien could only wish he could sniff Double D's jock.  I don't remember, but how long did it take Darius to become a great player?  I don't think it took more than 2 years, which looks like Cyprien is going to have to do, if he ever does.

Darius was a dominant run stuffer from the get go. In that regard, he's better than Cyp, though its different times. Half the stuff DD did back then wouldn't fly in today's NFL. That said, as far as his pass coverage skills, I don't think he got "good enough" in that aspect until year 3, maybe even year 4. I'm pretty sure Cyp in year 2 is better than year 2 Darius when it comes to coverage.

Cyp gets lost every now and then on coverage, but I've seen him stick and blanket guys like Gates and RBs out of the backfield...things you just didn't see from Donovin early on. 

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 10:18 PM by muddylips.)

It was pretty obvious that some of these guys are r o a d (retired on active duty).

*Shorts is history unless he's willing to endure the insult of accepting a major cut in money. He drops too many catchable passes, especially for a 'veteran'.

*Sanders should probably be working for the 'other sanders' at KFC next season... and good riddance. At least he'll have a job he can do... until drug test time.

*Lewis has been r o a d as a receiver most of the time he's been here except for one season. He's due a big pay check if he stays here next season and he isn't worth it. Cut'em now and find someone who can stay on their feet and catch the ball.

*Gratz... was getting beat all season and got 'crazy lucky' with the interception/td. Too many whiffed tackles. It's pathetic when a 'vet' looks worse than first year rookies. Goodbye...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

I said at the beginning of the season I didn't see how this team would win more than 4 games. If you look at what has been done to the team in the offseason.

1. Our best OL retired.

2. Our stud LT was coming off injury and still a basic rookie

3. Two new guards, one of which was a rookie.

4. Our most productive offensive producer was let go

5. We are going into the season with a backup QB nobody wants

6. Our best WR is suspended

7. Our other WR's are rookies or just a guy.

8. Our best LB was allowed to walk

9. Our solid DT was allowed to walk

10. One corner was a 2nd year guy who showed little

11. Our safeties were 2nd year guys who showed little

I understand the endless hope every year in the offseason but if you took a look at this team from the 10,000 ft. level you'd see there was no improvement fielded for this year. Now, it might be improvement for subsequent years, but not 2014.  It's imperative this coaching staff develop these young guys or we will still be riding the suck train for years.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

First of all, x # of years rebuild is a sales pitch for season tickets and what gm's/coaches have to say to get jobs.  Don't actually buy into that.  This team will be a perennial contender for the playoffs when it becomes a perennial contender for the playoffs.  True, the brass has a plan.  But as with most plans in major sports that plan doesn't mean anything.  We heard the same thing with jack, we heard the same thing with malarkey etc. etc. etc. 

I bring up this point because in reality what about this team seriously has you thinking that they are headed for a season close to 500 next year?  Is it the fake good defense that is ranked in the bottom third in points that just lost a game to a third string QB called up off a deer stand?  Is it the offense that scored the fewest points in the league?  Is it the fact that all the players dropping passes, running the wrong routes and getting their areses handed to them are all young and still doing the same wrong things in week 17 as they did in week seven? 

I just don't see the growth.  people talk about being more competitive this year?  we won a game against the worst team in the league at home, we won a game against the NY giants only thanks to the general stupidity of their offensive players not to focus on ball security against a team that is incapable of scoring touchdowns.  Think about it.  If they just took a knee the entire second half do we win that game? 

The saddest part of this whole thing is that for all the hand wringing and finding our franchise QB I think at this point that Blakes QB rating is a whopping 4 points higher than Gabbert at this point in their careers and Gabbert had two more wins. 

No, that's not a ringing endorsement about Blaine Gabbert, its the honest truth about a young QB who is still missing basic reads and fankly doesn't look comfortable or natural throwing the football. 

Marqise Lee isn't in NE or any of the other contenders at the bottom of the draft who could use a WR for a reason.  The last two years of his career have been a regression from the balitnikoff year.  I don't want that to be the case but it is.

I think that we have made some positive pick ups with telvin smith, the triplet recievers linder buwanko McCray gratz colvin and possibly blake but right now luke and cyp are definitely suspect.

I just don't see what we are going to hang our hat on next year.

Quote:First of all, x # of years rebuild is a sales pitch for season tickets and what gm's/coaches have to say to get jobs.  Don't actually buy into that.  This team will be a perennial contender for the playoffs when it becomes a perennial contender for the playoffs.  True, the brass has a plan.  But as with most plans in major sports that plan doesn't mean anything.  We heard the same thing with jack, we heard the same thing with malarkey etc. etc. etc. 

Every plan sounds good. Its all about the execution. There was nothing wrong with how Shack and JDR did things. Or Gene and Mularkey. The plan was fine, it was the execution that failed them (with some bad luck thrown in the mix). The same can be said about Dave's plan. Sure, it sounds great to build three drafts then spend money on FA. That's assuming you hit on those players, of course....

I bring up this point because in reality what about this team seriously has you thinking that they are headed for a season close to 500 next year?  Is it the fake good defense that is ranked in the bottom third in points that just lost a game to a third string QB called up off a deer stand?  Is it the offense that scored the fewest points in the league?  Is it the fact that all the players dropping passes, running the wrong routes and getting their areses handed to them are all young and still doing the same wrong things in week 17 as they did in week seven? 

The only "consoling" thing right now is the "promise" that this team will spend (and it has to, per CBA rules). Hopefully this means less rookies and street free-agents playing meaningful minutes.

I just don't see the growth.  people talk about being more competitive this year?  we won a game against the worst team in the league at home, we won a game against the NY giants only thanks to the general stupidity of their offensive players not to focus on ball security against a team that is incapable of scoring touchdowns.  Think about it.  If they just took a knee the entire second half do we win that game? 

The saddest part of this whole thing is that for all the hand wringing and finding our franchise QB I think at this point that Blakes QB rating is a whopping 4 points higher than Gabbert at this point in their careers and Gabbert had two more wins. 

No, that's not a ringing endorsement about Blaine Gabbert, its the honest truth about a young QB who is still missing basic reads and fankly doesn't look comfortable or natural throwing the football. 

Marqise Lee isn't in NE or any of the other contenders at the bottom of the draft who could use a WR for a reason.  The last two years of his career have been a regression from the balitnikoff year.  I don't want that to be the case but it is.

In fairness to Lee, yes he has been on a downward trend since his Belitnikoff year. But that said, the two knocks that he's had coming in were catching the ball and injuries. Up until today, he has been solid at catching the football. He has even done a better job at high-pointing the ball than he ever did at USC. The injuries slowed him down early on, but it looked like he was finally coming on. In Lee's case, I think an argument can be made that he has improved this season.

I think that we have made some positive pick ups with telvin smith, the triplet recievers linder buwanko McCray gratz colvin and possibly blake but right now luke and cyp are definitely suspect.

I just don't see what we are going to hang our hat on next year.

Khan better open up that wallet and Dave better be ready to use it. This team cannot go into next season hoping for internal improvement, and that alone + another draft. It won't be enough.

No Wide Receiver with a 1,000 yards receiving. No Running Back with a 1,000 yards rushing.  No double digit touch downs for any Jaguars players and in fact only 27 total for the season.  Lowest points per game.  We are on the right track so stay the course.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Blake also lost us games this year. A more seasoned veteran not named Henne combined with this defense (which was good enough in spurts) would have probably been enough to win us 6-7 wins this season. Instead, Chad was Chad and we were forced to play Blake. Granted, Bortles was more than game and was an improvement from Chad...but he was far from being good enough especially with what he's got surrounding him.
I have noticed Blake started to rush more at the end of the season. I think we will see more of that if the line doesn't improve. Not sure if that is a good thing.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 12:05 AM by MoJagFan.)

I am just flat tired....

Tired of the Rah Rah

Tired of the jaguars.com writing

Tired of the same ole same ole

I am looking forward to the playoffs and seeing open receivers and shifty running backs.  Jaguars in 2014 barely moved the needle when it comes to any form of excitement.  Sure they were young, inexperienced and untalented with a mountain to climb but I just don't see how one off season is going to magically right this ship.

I'll be right back on the bus again in the Summer of 2015 but not throwing any parties for year 3 of a 15 year rebuild.

The Khan Years

Quote:I am just flat tired....

Tired of the Rah Rah

Tired of the same ole same ole

I am looking forward to the playoffs and seeing open receivers and shifty running backs.  Jaguars in 2014 barely moved the needle when it comes to any form of excitement.  Sure they were young, inexperienced and untalented with a mountain to climb but I just don't see how one off season is going to magically right this ship.

I'll be right back on the bus again in the Summer of 2015 but not throwing any parties for year 3 of a 15 year rebuild.
I'm afraid you might have to wait more than a year.  I don't see this team jumping from 3-13 to playoffs.  I really think Gus will be fired next year.  I do want Fisch fired yesterday.  But hey, I'm just an armchair GM.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:I'm afraid you might have to wait more than a year.  I don't see this team jumping from 3-13 to playoffs.  I really think Gus will be fired next year.  I do want Fisch fired yesterday.  But hey, I'm just an armchair GM.

I meant with the Jaguars season over even though it never technically started, it is nice to see playoff football.  Ten minutes after the conclusion of our season, I watched an average team actually run some routes and get the ball out with adequate protection.  Was the heck of a sight to see.  Oh wait that is just what every team from the middle of the pack up can do.

The Khan Years

Quote:I meant with the Jaguars season over even though it never technically started, it is nice to see playoff football.  Ten minutes after the conclusion of our season, I watched an average team actually run some routes and get the ball out with adequate protection.  Was the heck of a sight to see.  Oh wait that is just what every team from the middle of the pack up can do.

You didn't even have to do that. All you needed to do was look on the other side of the field today and you'll see a practice squad player in Keenum throw to receivers who caught the ball

Quote: 

It is a mouthpiece for the team. Lower your expectations.

Quote:I meant with the Jaguars season over even though it never technically started, it is nice to see playoff football. Ten minutes after the conclusion of our season, I watched an average team actually run some routes and get the ball out with adequate protection. Was the heck of a sight to see. Oh wait that is just what every team from the middle of the pack up can do.

Every time I watch other teams make plays, I always think, why can't we do that?

Quote:It is a mouthpiece for the team. Lower your expectations.

Oesher is a terrible writer. I'm not even close to a grammar expert, however I'd expect more from a professional. His analysis is also sub par. He seems like a nice guy, but I respect guys on bleacher report more than I do Oesher.

Quote:You didn't even have to do that. All you needed to do was look on the other side of the field today and you'll see a practice squad player in Keenum throw to receivers who caught the ball

Looked Brady-esque today, as do all opposing QBs.

Quote:Oesher is a terrible writer. I'm not even close to a grammar expert, however I'd expect more from a professional. His analysis is also sub par. He seems like a nice guy, but I respect guys on bleacher report more than I do Oesher.
I wouldn't go that far. Though admittedly, I'm growing tired of Oesher's style. Its the same in his editorials, o-zone, and mailbag. He always goes for that "ask a question, then answer with confirmation" style, which IMO works in spurts but shouldn't be used all the time. It seems like every article and video he does its...

"Are the Jaguars young? Yes, they are. Is that an excuse? No, not really."

"Is Blake Bortles ready? No, he's not. Can he be? Yes, he can."

"Is Luke Joeckel playing well? No, far from it. Does he know what he needs to work on? Yes, he does."

Ugh

Quote:I wouldn't go that far. Though admittedly, I'm growing tired of Oesher's style. Its the same in his editorials, o-zone, and mailbag. He always goes for that "ask a question, then answer with confirmation" style, which IMO works in spurts but shouldn't be used all the time. It seems like every article and video he does its...

"Are the Jaguars young? Yes, they are. Is that an excuse? No, not really."

"Is Blake Bortles ready? No, he's not. Can he be? Yes, he can."

"Is Luke Joeckel playing well? No, far from it. Does he know what he needs to work on? Yes, he does."

Ugh

Lazy writing.  Might be better if he explored why there isn't a better option?  I don't know.  I guess I'm getting a tad burned out on football writing overall.

The Khan Years

It's a 4-5 year rebuild

This is a sort of new approach to rebuilding. So those claiming they know what year 3 will hold are blowing smoke. I do think another year of the young guys devolving and an A-lister free agent class will help this team over the hump of .500.

I think 9-7 or better could even be had, solely based on how well Bortles  can come back.

No one is safe.