Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mom cancels Christmas for her "ungrateful" kids

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014, 01:53 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:I'd love to know what they "tried" on the kids that didn't work!! Repeatedly saying "no, no...don't do that" without actually backing it up isn't going to accomplish squat!!
True, but as a parent you're going to make mistakes.  Everything you do won't work.  Eventually you might have to take a more extreme option like canceling Christmas.  I do feel though like the mom might have done this for more than just to punish her kids.  Just reading some of the things she said now.  Obviously just my opinion, and what I'm reading into what she's saying. It just reminds me a little of people who talk about how much money they've given to charity.

Quote: 

That is why we have taken a stand this year. While this may not be the best choice for everyone, it feels right for our family right now. We really want Christmas to be remembered for the right reasons and to keep the focus on the Savior and the feeling of giving. That is the true essence of Christmas. The feeling of kindness and giving are what give Christmas its magic. I am excited that our kids get to focus on that feeling. I am almost certain this will be the best Christmas they ever have! 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:True, but as a parent you're going to make mistakes.  Everything you do won't work.  Eventually you might have to take a more extreme option like canceling Christmas.  I do feel though like the mom might have done this for more than just to punish her kids.  Just reading some of the things she said now.  Obviously just my opinion, and what I'm reading into what she's saying. It just reminds me a little of people who talk about how much money they've given to charity.

I agree with you about making mistakes. It happens. But don't you know those type of parents that are always telling their kids that if they keep doing something that they are gonna get in trouble...but the kids never get in trouble?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I agree with you about making mistakes. It happens. But don't you know those type of parents that are always telling their kids that if they keep doing something that they are gonna get in trouble...but the kids never get in trouble?

Oh yeah, I've seen those types of parents.  The ones that tell their kids they're going to be in trouble, but never are. One of my cousins was this way with his son, and he turned out pretty awful.  I'm just giving this woman the benefit of the doubt there.  That they actually did try something.  Of course I wonder just how bad their behavior was to begin with given that the kids are taking this pretty well.  (At least according to the mom)  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Said by every generation since ... forever.
True, but it does seem to get worse with each generation. 

Quote:Oh yeah, I've seen those types of parents.  The ones that tell their kids they're going to be in trouble, but never are. 
Man, when my mom spoke we listened. If she said we were going to get a butt whoopin' or some other form of punishment, that's exactly what would happen. First by her then by our stepdad. They did not play around. I'm thankful for it now. I don't have kids so I don't have to worry about it. If I did I think I'd be a drill sergeant sadly. It's one of the reasons I don't have kids. That, and I just never wanted any.

Quote:Completely agree. I see so many parents that want to be best friends with their kids. It's crazy.

I'll be best friends with my son after he gets his law degree haha.
My dad was a weekend warrior dad (my parents divorced when I was 4) and he never really wanted to be a parent. He always wanted to be a buddy to me and my sister. As kids you like that because you're not being parented and all that entails, but when I was nearing my teen years I really wanted him to be my dad. Thank God for my step-dad who did the job. And my mom would always say, "I'm not your friend I'm your mother". I hated that back in the day but appreciate it so much now.

Quote:True, but it does seem to get worse with each generation. 
I love how each generation likes to complain about the kids while casually forgetting who raised those kids.

Quote:Oh yeah, I've seen those types of parents.  The ones that tell their kids they're going to be in trouble, but never are. One of my cousins was this way with his son, and he turned out pretty awful.  I'm just giving this woman the benefit of the doubt there.  That they actually did try something.  Of course I wonder just how bad their behavior was to begin with given that the kids are taking this pretty well.  (At least according to the mom)

Yeah, I was wondering that too! Ungrateful kids are protesting no Christmas and are happy to giving towards others? Doesn't sound like really ungrateful kids to me!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I love how each generation likes to complain about the kids while casually forgetting who raised those kids.

QFT

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I love how each generation likes to complain about the kids while casually forgetting who raised those kids.
Well being as I'm not raising any I can't speak of parenting from experience. I just see what goes on around me. I'd be a crappy parent because I don't want kids. Sadly many with similar ideas have kids anyway then can't or won't parent them.

Of course now you can barely discipline a kid these days without the government crawling all up in your business.