Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best breaking & entering deterrents

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2017, 06:08 AM by JackCity.)

1) Become homeless: Without a home potential robbers will find it quite difficult to break and enter into your property.

2) Leave the door wide open at night. Reverse psychology, no way a robber would ever enter in that manner.

3) Leave a religious hymns tape playing at night where the doors are. Not sure a robber would be down with that.

4) Invite local robbers to try break into your house at night, ask them tips on how to protect your house

5) Leave a cardboard cut out of a priest in the kitchen

6) cover the floor in thousands of slugs

7) Remove the door, fill the gap with bricks and paint a picture of a door on it. Robbers may be bamboozled and knock themselves out on the wall.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:5) Leave a cardboard cut out of a priest in the kitchen

This isn't rural Ireland, JC. The parish priest doesn't hold that much sway.

Quote:This isn't rural Ireland, JC. The parish priest doesn't hold that much sway.

Unless the burglar is a scarred altar boy.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:This isn't rural Ireland, JC. The parish priest doesn't hold that much sway.

You've clearly never met Father Byrne on a Sunday morning.

We have our dog and we sleep with our bedroom door open so I'll hear most of the noise. I also have a gun kept in a safe area in the house. Along with a rifle. I also have a samurai sword that's kept sheathed on my dresser in my bedroom. And then, of course we have motion sensor flood lights around the back yard, the Florida room, the garage and the front door.

And then I keep an ADT security sign out front on my lawn inside my flower bed. Haven't had any issues since moving in four years ago. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. And you never know when you might need to load up in the event a doomsday apocalypse shows up or a zombie apocalypse shows up. If I didn't live in Jacksonville I'd probably have a decent piece of land with a bunker built around it underground. 

And no. I am not a doomsday prepper. LOL. I barely stock food and water to last me for two weeks. But if I had the space and money....... I totally would....

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:You've clearly never met Father Byrne on a Sunday morning.

I don't know, Ed always seemed like a reasonable fellow.

[Image: 16196017_10157993741940167_4832363716732...e=5906EA23]

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:[Image: 16196017_10157993741940167_4832363716732...e=5906EA23]

Niiiiiice. German Shepard's are an AWESOME breed. Always wanted one but I don't have the backyard space to let one roam. I'd feel bad keeping it confined in a house so much. Settled for a short legged American Bulldog. Good dog. Smart and pays attention. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2017, 01:55 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Niiiiiice. German Shepard's are an AWESOME breed. Always wanted one but I don't have the backyard space to let one roam. I'd feel bad keeping it confined in a house so much. Settled for a short legged American Bulldog. Good dog. Smart and pays attention. 

She is the smartest dog I've ever owned, and has an impressive kill list of area critters. Given 42 acres to roam, she is the Queen.

Well known and feared locally, I do all I can to keep it that way.

- Bob Marley

Quote:She is the smartest dog I've ever owned, and has an impressive kill list of area critters. Given 42 acres to roam, she is the Queen.

Well known and feared locally, I do all I can to keep it that way.

Here's my big guy...about 95 pounds.  For some reason don't get too many visitors.   Smile

[Image: zjbci9.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

He looks super sweet.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:He looks super sweet.

He really isn't that bad but he scares the crap out of people.  He barks...a lot...when someone is over that he doesn't know.  And it's a pretty intimidating bark.  He's also very protective of my Golden Retriever, which is pretty cool.  Especially since the lab that I had to get rid of, used to beat the crap out of her.

That's not good, because labs crap enough as it is.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:[Image: 16196017_10157993741940167_4832363716732...e=5906EA23]
Quote:Here's my big guy...about 95 pounds.  For some reason don't get too many visitors.   Smile

[Image: zjbci9.jpg]

Both are very nice looking dogs.  Shepherds are some of the smartest and most loyal dogs.  I've always been kind of fond of hounds, especially blood hounds.  Hounds in general aren't good protectors, but they are loud and can sense the presence of just about anything.  I've owned and raised a beagle, walker, basset and a blue tick.  All were "decent" watch dogs because they would bark if anyone came into my yard.  The problem is though, they would also bark if a critter (squirrel, raccoon, cat, etc.) came into the yard or into view.

The meanest dog that I have owned was a chow.  They are extremely loyal, but they don't like or welcome people out of their "pack", especially if my wife or I wasn't home.  That has the potential for problems.

For "home defense" I would certainly recommend a German Shepherd.  The thing to keep in mind with this breed is that they like to have a "job" and need exercise so that means taking them out for regular walks.  They are good with children and are very loyal.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

As German Shepard's hard to train? Or does it just involve rearing one as a pup.

Quote:As German Shepard's hard to train? Or does it just involve rearing one as a pup.

I didn't have either of the ones I've owned when they were pups, but they are so smart and pick up on new commands so quickly, I imagine they are easy to train for more complicated tasks.

- Bob Marley

Quote:As German Shepard's hard to train? Or does it just involve rearing one as a pup.

Shepherds are generally easier to train than some other breeds because of their natural instinct.  As I said before, they are "working" dogs and are happy to do anything that you ask/teach them to do.  What makes the breed amazing is that they can be one of the scariest and more "aggresivel" dogs (they are highly protective) while at the same time being one of the most gentle breeds.(good with children).

With a breed like them, they'll work and live fine in a small home or apartment, but the must be given regular daily exercise.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I didn't have either of the ones I've owned when they were pups, but they are so smart and pick up on new commands so quickly, I imagine they are easy to train for more complicated tasks.

We just got ours 6 months ago. He's about 6 or 7. He was a stray and was confused for a couple of weeks, but he started getting really protective of us and our golden pretty quickly. He definitely knows who is family is. I can't believe somebody would dump such a good dog.

Quote:We just got ours 6 months ago. He's about 6 or 7. He was a stray and was confused for a couple of weeks, but he started getting really protective of us and our golden pretty quickly. He definitely knows who is family is. I can't believe somebody would dump such a good dog.

My guess would be either they didn't realize how big it would get, or didn't realize how much it would cost to feed it.

It's a beautiful dog.  Take good care of him (I think it's a male?).

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2017, 08:51 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:My guess would be either they didn't realize how big it would get, or didn't realize how much it would cost to feed it.

It's a beautiful dog. Take good care of him (I think it's a male?).
Oh...he knows he's got it good.

My wife got them both 'orthopedic" dog beds. I don't think he'd ever been exposed to anything like that before and my wife had to coax him to get on it. Now, any time we can't find him, he's in the bedroom on his bed.