Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is the SEC overrated?

I'm a FSU fan and I don't think the Sec is overrated. They recruit the best therefore have better players. But I don't think they are the power house conference they once were. They will always be the top conference until the other conferences can produce more than one or two competitive teams.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:They beat the 3-6 Texas Tech Red Raiders. Color me impressed.
And Arkansas is roughly the equivalent to TT in the standings in the respective conference and Arkansas molly-whopped them.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Like it or not, but the fact remains the SEC is deeper then any other conference. What other conference has at least 3 big time powers currently, and at any given time over the last 10 or so years.

You can whine all you want, but the facts are facts.

ACC has 1, Big 10 1, Pac 12, 1, The only one with a decent argument currently is the Big 12.

;

I'm not sure how you're picking between Ohio State and Michigan State, haven't they been roughly equal for the last 2-3 years?

Anybody who actually watches the games can see there is a very high level of play from the SEC- IMHO a much higher level than any other conference.  Overrated or not- that division is good. 

{ and obviously they also have several teams in the top ten knocking each other out }. 

I see the SEC as CLEARLY the toughest conference this year.

Quote:I'm not sure how you're picking between Ohio State and Michigan State, haven't they been roughly equal for the last 2-3 years?
Strictly speaking this season. But if you want to include past seasons and have OSU in there, go ahead. Since 2006 when it comes to bowls, not so hot.

;

Quote:Like it or not, but the fact remains the SEC is deeper then any other conference. What other conference has at least 3 big time powers currently, and at any given time over the last 10 or so years.

Quote:Strictly speaking this season. But if you want to include past seasons and have OSU in there, go ahead. Since 2006 when it comes to bowls, not so hot.

Obviously you are not "strictly speaking this season" because you asked about "the last 10 or so years." Therefore, Ohio State must be included.

If you're going to use National Championships as the metric to validate the conference strength then you have to do the same in basketball. When Kentucky wins the NCAA Men's basketball championship you must claim it's proof the SEC is better in basketball then the ACC or Big 12 or Big 10.

I always say, the SEC is like the best looking girl in the bar, but not all the good looking girls in the bar are the SEC.

Regards..........................the Chiefjag

The prospects sure seem to get overrated.

Yes and they will continue to be because the national media builds them up. ESPN has an investment in the SEC and builds up the conference to get ratings and make money. They strongly influence national perception which causes these SEC teams to be over ranked. TAMU, UF, GA, LSU, Ole Miss , not to mention the rest of the bottom feeders in the SEC all over ranked to begin the year.

Quote:Yes and they will continue to be because the national media builds them up. ESPN has an investment in the SEC and builds up the conference to get ratings and make money. They strongly influence national perception which causes these SEC teams to be over ranked. TAMU, UF, GA, LSU, Ole Miss , not to mention the rest of the bottom feeders in the SEC all over ranked to begin the year.

Uh, how can the bottom feeders be over-ranked? They weren't ranked at all.

But as I said earlier simply saying the SEC as a whole is better than all other conferences implies Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and other chronically terrible teams are better than good teams in the Pacific 12, Big 12, ACC, and Big Ten.

Quote:Obviously you are not "strictly speaking this season" because you asked about "the last 10 or so years." Therefore, Ohio State must be included.
Yes I was. Read that whole first post you quoted.

;

Quote:Yes and they will continue to be because the national media builds them up. ESPN has an investment in the SEC and builds up the conference to get ratings and make money. They strongly influence national perception which causes these SEC teams to be over ranked. TAMU, UF, GA, LSU, Ole Miss , not to mention the rest of the bottom feeders in the SEC all over ranked to begin the year.

You forgot South Carolina. 

I feel bad for the SEC homers, it won't be much longer and the conferences won't exist anymore. Rooting for the Southeast/South/Atlantic/Hillbilly/Redneck divisions won't be nearly as much of a source of pride in their dreary little lives.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I feel bad for the SEC homers, it won't be much longer and the conferences won't exist anymore. Rooting for the Southeast/South/Atlantic/Hillbilly/Redneck divisions won't be nearly as much of a source of pride in their dreary little lives.

Lol, this is so sad and pathetic.  Because you root for the SEC you are automatically a hillbilly redneck?  It sounds like people that root for another conference put their best effort into putting the people down that root for it.

Top to bottom the SEC is better than your conference, get over it.  Every poll shows it year after year.  

Fyi, if FSU was in the SEC West they wouldn't make it through the year undefeated.  That run of Ole Miss/Alabama/Miss St/Auburn and others would cause a hiccup.

Quote: 

Fyi, if FSU was in the SEC West they wouldn't make it through the year undefeated.  That run of Ole Miss/Alabama/Miss St/Auburn and others would cause a hiccup.

Paul Finebaum, is that you?

Quote:Paul Finebaum, is that you?

I've never once listened to him.  Does the truth hurt?

Quote:I've never once listened to him.  Does the truth hurt?

What makes you think FSU wouldn't make it through those four without a loss? Because it's the SEC West right?

Quote:What makes you think FSU wouldn't make it through those four without a loss? Because it's the SEC West right?

No, because I've watched FSU play this year.  Last year they probably would have been fine, but this year they aren't nearly as good.  Their defense is soft and they aren't as dynamic on offense.  They lost too many players to the pros and Jameis can't make up for all that lost talent.

Pre-season rankings never hold true to form. Look at the number of wire to wire number ones. It's a crap shoot, every year. The cream always rises, and is doing/has done so.

;