Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Help me pick a college team...

Really? I usually get to the 4th and I'm dissapointed because the game is nearly over with the NFL. I enjoy watching.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, gonna read up on some the teams!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2014, 08:29 PM by haveaseat.)

I'm a UCONN fan being from Connecticut but I still have a hard time getting behind college ball in general. I feel like it's hard having any real attachment to a team because so many players come and go quickly that it's almost like a different team every year (or other year).

Not to mention, in college you can play a whole game with your QB passing like twice and just watch a run game all day. It gets repetitive and it's not that enjoyable to watch. I like to see the rock get slinged around a bit.

Not to mention, targeting ejections are some garbage I can't get behind.

South Carolina. Gamecocks. Spurrier.

Quote:Guys, I need your help! I want a college team to follow but I can't decide on one.

I don't care which part of the USA they are from and I don't care if they're successful but I'd like them to be a team that plays in a decent conference so I can watch the games online.

It'd be great if you guys could recommend some teams and tell me a bit about them, logos would be awesome too.

I don't want to follow FSU, Alabama, Florida, Boise State, Oregon or Notre Dame.

College football is a lot more fun.  If you end up picking a team, your interest in the Jags may dissipate over time.  Not sure if we need fewer Jags fans.  If you ever make it to America, definitely go to a big time college game over a big time NFL game.  The pre-game tailgating and atmosphere is so much better.  And the game itself is usually a lot more fun and loud.  Just an overall much better experience.

Did anyone ever read Bill Simmons' attempt at becoming an EPL fan way back in the day?  Basically compared all the EPL teams to their counterpart in American sports to get an idea who would be like the Yankees, who is like the Raiders, etc...  Was actually pretty funny.  Not sure he ever followed through on being a fan.  I was trying to think of a similar way to describe college teams but that may take a bit too much effort.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sto...s/060719_2

I will say though I always found it hard to just pick a team and root for them.  I always feel like those things grow naturally.  But my first thought honestly was Notre Dame.  A ton of fans... although obnoxious but who cares if you are one of them.  Great history.  And probably a lot easier to watch them overseas.  You could pick Michigan.  Historically great program.  Cool uni's.  In the middle of a down stretch.  But should be able to elevate themselves back to the top quickly with the right coach.... so then you wouldnt get that bandwagon feeling of just picking a great team from the start.  And I'm sure you could be rocking Michigan gear over in London or Manchester or wherever you're from and people would instantly recognize it.  You could do USC(Southern Cal not South Carolina).  Another historically great program.  Cool fight song.  Cool mascot.  Will usually be good.  Although if you are trying to watch live, you've already got a 5 hour time difference to East coast time.  You dont need another 3 hour delay for a west coast team.

How about this.... describe the type of team you would like to follow and we could tell you their college football counterpart.

Go with that powerhouse that nobody knows about.

The Southern Illinois University Salukis!

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2014, 09:28 AM by BritishJag.)

rfc, that link is great! Talking about Manchester City:

Quote: 

Single Best Reason NOT To Pick Them: They're just not good enough. You don't want a team that's on TV twice a year and might get relegated at any time. Unless you're from there. Sorry, Stein. You're on your own.

They won 2 league titles in the last 3 years... how times change!

I kinda like the idea of Michigan or UCF, Denard and Bortles/Storm obviously, especially how the fans of those teams still root for those players now.

On your last point: I like teams like the Jags. I don't pick a team when they're winning all the time, that's not the kind of thing I look for. I want a good fanbase that sticks around even if the team sucks, someone who has a chance in games but isn't usually the favourite to win the games. West coast isn't a good idea as the time difference is terrible, before I had kids I would happily watch every TNF/MNF/SNF game (they finish at 3/4am here) but now it just isn't possible, I make exception for Jags late games but that's it.

UTEP Miners baby!
No commercial messages in sigs

Colorado School of Mines Orediggers!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I'm a UCONN fan being from Connecticut but I still have a hard time getting behind college ball in general. I feel like it's hard having any real attachment to a team because so many players come and go quickly that it's almost like a different team every year (or other year).

Not to mention, in college you can play a whole game with your QB passing like twice and just watch a run game all day. It gets repetitive and it's not that enjoyable to watch. I like to see the rock get slinged around a bit.

Not to mention, targeting ejections are some garbage I can't get behind.

Didn't know you were a fellow Husky.

Quote: 

I kinda like the idea of Michigan or UCF, Denard and Bortles/Storm obviously, especially how the fans of those teams still root for those players now.

On your last point: I like teams like the Jags. I don't pick a team when they're winning all the time, that's not the kind of thing I look for. I want a good fanbase that sticks around even if the team sucks, someone who has a chance in games but isn't usually the favourite to win the games. West coast isn't a good idea as the time difference is terrible, before I had kids I would happily watch every TNF/MNF/SNF game (they finish at 3/4am here) but now it just isn't possible, I make exception for Jags late games but that's it.

I'm sure the UCF fans wont appreciate this but......  Historically they were a commuter school that built themselves a nice campus recently and is trying to replicate the college town/campus feel but its hard to pull off over night.  The other tough thing about UCF is that most of the kids there are actually Florida or Florida St or Miami fans that didnt go to any of those schools because a) they couldnt get in or b) chose UCF for some reason (money, stay close to home, etc...).  Plus UCF plays in a 2nd tier conference and will struggle to ascend to a power conference level.  It's doable.  But when you're 4th banana in a state it's tough.  They'll need something magical to happen like what happened at TCU or Baylor where they strike gold with a coach at the right time.

I laughed at your point about a fanbase sticking around even when the team stinks because that may rule out Michigan.  They've been taking grief recently because students havent been using their tickets.  Although i still think Michigan would be a cool choice.  I even like their mascot the Wolverines.  They just never use it.  Most logo's you are see are the big 'M'.  they need more actual wolverine images.  

My first thought when reading your description though was South Carolina.  Historically they've stunk but they would sell out that stadium no matter what.  (there are no pro sports in South Carolina so they bleed college sports).  Recently though they've become good under Spurrier.  But even as good as they've become, they arent one of the elite teams.  They are always lacking that one key piece... typically the really good QB.  I will say their college town isnt quite as fun as others but the tailgating on gameday is pretty spectacular.  The mascot is kind of cool in the sense that its a fighting rooster yet cockfighting is illegal in America.  And they play in the best conference in college football.

You could also think about Virginia Tech.  They've got passionate fans.  Are usually pretty good but not great.  Play in the ACC so are in a major conference.  Their mascot is a Hokie or basically a turkey which sounds dumb but I actually kind of like it.  Their fans are a bit crazy.  If you could combine hunting and football, that's your typical hokie's fan.  Blacksburg Virginia is way out in the western part of the state near where Tennessee meets Kentucky meets West Virginia... so its a little hillbilly out there.  Growing up I would be sent to a camp out there where we'd fish, hunt, horseback ride, camp out, whitewater raft... was pretty cool.

Baylor Bears
A good loser is a good loser

Choose Bortles college of choice, UCf!

Quote:Choose Bortles college of choice, UCf!

And yours too... :whistling:

I know you said you don't want to go for FSU but let me tell you, being a huge fan this year has been awesome. We aren't blowing most teams out and each game has been a nail biter. I haven't experienced so many highs and lows as I have this year watching them play. So you should join in. Plus our qb steals crab legs... Thug life

Just for the schadenfreude:

Army

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I know you said you don't want to go for FSU but let me tell you, being a huge fan this year has been awesome. We aren't blowing most teams out and each game has been a nail biter. I haven't experienced so many highs and lows as I have this year watching them play. So you should join in. Plus our qb steals crab legs... Thug life

I'm curious as to what lows you've really experienced this years?  Just because games are close doesn't mean thats a low....off field issues could be considered a low.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just curious....from an outsider, not many lows.

Quote:I know you said you don't want to go for FSU but let me tell you, being a huge fan this year has been awesome. We aren't blowing most teams out and each game has been a nail biter. I haven't experienced so many highs and lows as I have this year watching them play. So you should join in. Plus our qb steals crab legs... Thug life

And the word "bandwagon" will never come up... :whistling:

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014, 11:29 AM by badger.)

Missouri Tigers

Arkansas Razorbacks

Washington Huskies

LSU Tigers

Auburn Tigers

Clemson Tigers

Oklahoma State Cowboys

Stanford Cardinals

Michigan State Spartans

Arizona Wildcats

Arizona State Sun Devils

Georgia Bulldogs

why am I not surprised some nole fan tried to talk him into rooting for FSU when he already said no? 

"I mean, fsu is so wonderful, how can anybody not want to root for them?"

Quote:Guys, I need your help! I want a college team to follow but I can't decide on one.

I don't care which part of the USA they are from and I don't care if they're successful but I'd like them to be a team that plays in a decent conference so I can watch the games online.

It'd be great if you guys could recommend some teams and tell me a bit about them, logos would be awesome too.

I don't want to follow FSU, Alabama, Florida, Boise State, Oregon or Notre Dame.

Thanks Smile

One way of choosing might be to pick a school that has consistently produced top tier NFL talent.

While you have excluded Alabama, FSU, Florida and Notre Dame from consideration, there are still plenty of other schools.

USC has produced Anthony Munoz, Ronnie Lott, Tony Boselli, Clay Matthews Sr. & Jr., Bruce Matthews, Junior Seau, Lynn Swann, Marcus Allen, O.J. Simpson, Joey Browner, JDR and Tim McDonald, among others.

Ohio State has produced Orlando Pace, Eddie George, Paul Warfield, Jack Tatum, Todd Bell, Gary Fencik, Randy Gradishar, Chris Spielman, among others.

Michigan has produced Dan Dierdorf, Jumbo Elliott, Tom Brady, Charles Woodson, Anthony Carter, Amani Toomer, among others.

Miami has produced Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Edgerrin James, Chuck Foreman, Clinton Portis, O.J. Anderson, Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson, Leon Searcy, Jerome Brown, Cortez Kennedy, Warren Sapp, Rubin Carter, Ray Lewis, Ted Hendricks, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, among others.

Syracuse has produced Donovan Mcnabb, Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, Art Monk, Rob Moore, Marvin Harrison, Qadry Ismail, John Mackey, Dwight Freeney and Keith Bulluck, among others.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!