Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
what do you expect?

Quote:Does it need to be said again the Browns ruined our best chance of getting a talented veteran during the offseason? We tried as hard as we could to take Alex Mack out of Cleveland and couldn't do it any better. It was just unfortunate that the Browns had enough money to match anything we could offer.

There were no other FA's that could have come in to help?  None?  Zero?  Just Mack, that was it?  Nothing else would have helped.

Oh and we got who else, Bryant, Clemmons, and Beadles...  So it's not like there weren't a crop of FAs out there that we couldn't choose from.

Also, don't forget all the hype during the offseason about how every time Bradley talked to a FA, the were mesmerized by the Gus Juice...  So let's not pretend that there weren't opportunities to get better.

The fact is, so far, our record is pretty much the same as last year.  

Yes, at least in week 5, we didn't get blown out.  So there is that.  

But let's not try to blow sunshine up eachother's shorts here.  We're still technically just as bad as we were last year at this time.  

BB5 is better than what we had last year.  So I will give us that...  But what else is a positive besides that?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Interesting stat the broadcast crew came up with... Something like 26 teams in the NFL only start 1 rookie.  You think that is us?  The amount of experience on offense is something that practice and game reps will improve not a magic wand.  As the coaches work with the players during the season it will get better but that doesn't necessarily mean wins this year.

The new CBA is tough on a young team.  At least veterans know the ropes.  And before the whole.... yeah well the GM should have kept X, Y and Z.  This team was 5 years overdue for a true rebuild.  Patience sucks but all we can do is watch.

I'm all good with patience.  I'm not understanding how we get worse from year 1 to year 2 of the rebuild?

the GM needs to understand that with the new CBA, practice times will be limited and you can't just trot out rookies everywhere and expect to be competitive.

It was almost a blatant disregard to competition what we've been doing the past 2 years under Caldwell.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Interesting stat the broadcast crew came up with... Something like 26 teams in the NFL only start 1 rookie.  You think that is us?  The amount of experience on offense is something that practice and game reps will improve not a magic wand.  As the coaches work with the players during the season it will get better but that doesn't necessarily mean wins this year.

The new CBA is tough on a young team.  At least veterans know the ropes.  And before the whole.... yeah well the GM should have kept X, Y and Z.  This team was 5 years overdue for a true rebuild.  Patience sucks but all we can do is watch.

How is the current CBA tougher on a young team than an old team?

Solomon Wilcots said we were out of timeouts because there are seven rookies on offense.

Quote:It is absolute a fault. You plug holes with veterans and build through the draft while still attempting to be competitive.

Why bother with the "Shaq"" strategy, especially at this point? For what?

Quote:the GM needs to understand that with the new CBA, practice times will be limited and you can't just trot out rookies everywhere and expect to be competitive.

It was almost a blatant disregard to competition what we've been doing the past 2 years under Caldwell.

I don't know what other teams do but when I went to a training camp practice most of the time was a total waste.  2 and a half hours and there was very very little work actually done.

Each individual player maybe worked a total of 30 minutes out of that time.  The rest of the time was completely inactive (most players standing around).  That's a sure way to not develop players in youth sports.  I guess it's true in the Pros as well.

Quote:How is the current CBA tougher on a young team than an old team?

Solomon Wilcots said we were out of timeouts because there are seven rookies on offense.

The CBA restricts on field practice time.  However, other teams get it done somehow, I just don't know how.

Quote:How is the current CBA tougher on a young team than an old team?

The amount of practice in the offseason has been severely restricted.  The amount of time a coach can contact a player is restricted.  So the young players have to work on things on their own.  A veteran team that has been around with the coaching staff for a few years doesn't need as much to get up to speed.

During the season is the most allowable interaction and even it has limits by the new CBA.  You can work more on your own to learn your craft but you aren't being supervised by the coaching staff as much as in the past.

In my opinion this favors talented veteran teams at the start of each season.  As you get to the end of the season, injuries become an equalizer.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I don't know what other teams do but when I went to a training camp practice most of the time was a total waste.  2 and a half hours and there was very very little work actually done.

Each individual player maybe worked a total of 30 minutes out of that time.  The rest of the time was completely inactive (most players standing around).  That's a sure way to not develop players in youth sports.  I guess it's true in the Pros as well.

lol I wrote about something similar as well earlier this year.

I was like "how in the world are these quys getting hurt so much? they barely run, there's no contact, there's barely any sprinting even... I just don't understand it.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:The CBA restricts on field practice time.  However, other teams get it done somehow, I just don't know how.
Other teams are further along in the process and didn't jettison 2/3 of their roster.  This team was awful and is still moving up from awful.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Does it need to be said again the Browns ruined our best chance of getting a talented veteran during the offseason? We tried as hard as we could to take Alex Mack out of Cleveland and couldn't do it any better. It was just unfortunate that the Browns had enough money to match anything we could offer.

Our best chance? They could have offered him more. Heck, just take what you were going to offer Sloby and add it to Mack's offer.

We made it too easy for the Browns.

Quote:Our best chance? They could have offered him more. Heck, just take what you were going to offer Sloby and add it to Mack's offer.

We made it too easy for the Browns.

Even if we offered him more the Browns still would have matched it. They have more money than we do to spend on offensive linemen.

Quote:lol I wrote about something similar as well earlier this year.

I was like "how in the world are these quys getting hurt so much? they barely run, there's no contact, there's barely any sprinting even... I just don't understand it.

Agreed...it also makes me wonder (or realize) that guys basically only get better on their on.  So if they aren't working out on their own, running their own drills, sprints, etc. then I don't think you'll see much improvement at all out of them.  This coaching staff doesn't know how to get a team in shape or prepared for the season.

Quote:Agreed...it also makes me wonder (or realize) that guys basically only get better on their on.  So if they aren't working out on their own, running their own drills, sprints, etc. then I don't think you'll see much improvement at all out of them.  This coaching staff doesn't know how to get a team in shape or prepared for the season.

Remember last week, the DD thread?

It sums up this team pretty well.  Young players that really don't know or care to know how to get better.

Hopefully someone like DD or maybe the actual coaches that are getting paid will turn this thing around.  But it's not like there are a whole bunch of positive signs to think that something is going to click and create a juggernaut.

Unfortunately, this is going to be an up and down team where improvement will be minuscule and painful for fans to watch. 

Losses may very well become one 1 or 2 score games, but it appears that losses will continue in abundance.  

Eventually, maybe next year, this team may have an offense that can move the chains...  But there still needs to be alot of changes to make us winners.

Last year was the tear down , a look to see who had to go and what was needed. This is the 1st year of the rebuild.

I don't wanna here how you expect you #2 pick LT to play better when he has 7 starts in his career, your not looking at this right.

If your team hits on 5 and 7 round running backs in the draft consider that luck , cause its not expected.

A little more promise from a undrafted rookie receiver and 1 that missed all of camp ???

I think were getting what we should from these players.

Maybe we'll find some keepers and other will be replaced. I wouldn't call 80 % of this team a big investment.

Mack is only one player.  Aren't Bryant, Clemmons, and Beadles supposed to be talented veterans?  Isn't Gus supposed to be the coach everyone wants to play for?  

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Last year was the tear down , a look to see who had to go and what was needed. This is the 1st year of the rebuild.

I don't wanna here how you expect you #2 pick LT to play better when he has 7 starts in his career, your not looking right.

If your team hits on 5 and 7 round running backs in the draft consider that luck , cause its not expected.

A little more promise from a undrafted rookie receiver and 1 that missed all of camp ???

I think were getting what we should from these players.

Maybe we'll find some keepers and other will be replaced. I wouldn't call 80 % of this team a big investment.

Wait, so the draft last year was to be ignored?

I think I understand what you're saying, but you can't call this the beginning of the rebuild.  It started last year.  We picked up players that were supposed to be helping us this year while we continue to build.

It's not like this is the ground floor.  The ground floor was last year.

Again, I think I understand what you're saying.  But I just want everyone to be clear, we're in year 2 of the rebuild.  This is not year 1.

Quote:I'm all good with patience.  I'm not understanding how we get worse from year 1 to year 2 of the rebuild?
we got rid of seasoned players like monroe et.al and replaced nearly everyone we got rid of with rookies/players off practice squads...when you do that you take a step backwards...The thing to try and remember is everyone should come into their prime around the same time so if they pan out, we will have a roster slap full of seasoned guys...

Quote:we got rid of seasoned players like monroe et.al and replaced nearly everyone we got rid of with rookies/players off practice squads...when you do that you take a step backwards...The thing to try and remember is everyone should come into their prime around the same time so if they pan out, we will have a roster slap full of seasoned guys...

Who, if they are all good/great will demand tons of money and thus we will lose alot of them.  So, yeah...  Timing, right?

Quote:Wait, so the draft last year was to be ignored?

I think I understand what you're saying, but you can't call this the beginning of the rebuild.  It started last year.  We picked up players that were supposed to be helping us this year while we continue to build.

It's not like this is the ground floor.  The ground floor was last year.

Again, I think I understand what you're saying.  But I just want everyone to be clear, we're in year 2 of the rebuild.  This is not year 1.

The 2013 Jaguar draft isn't looking like it is turning out to be a good one outside Cyprien.