Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could a loss today start to make the seat a little warm for Gus Bradley?

Not even close. Think 2015. If we have a crappy year next year, then he may feel some heat. I'm not anticipating such. I'm sure that we will beef up our offensive line by draft and, especially, FA.....kinda like what we did with the defensive line this year. Depth will improve. Losing a Cyp or Poz puts us at a huge disadvantage as the drop-off between 1st and 2nd string will be substantial. This team is just beginning to see glimpses of the sun thru the clouds. We played quite well in the 1st half when everyone was healthy. Compare to last year's first game. Next year, people will begin talking about Jacksonville.....with respect.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

IMO, Bradley's seat is cool right now as far as his job is concerned, but he is still under pressure to improve on last years win total, and a loss today will start to make him think twice if that can really happen.

If Bortles was starting, it wouldn't even be an issue.
;

;

Quote:His seat will not be able to get warm until next year.
What he said. As long as Gus' teams improves every week and they stay competitive, his seat will stay lukewarm. Next season is the tell-tale of Gus as a coach for this franchise.
No commercial messages in sigs

If/when Bortles plays next year if the team goes 4-12 or thereabouts, I would fire him.  He will have had 3 years, plenty of time to show progress.

Honestly, he has not even shown a modicum of coaching ability.  There have been more blunders than epiphanies.  

He's a highly paid PR cheerleader at this point.  Nothing else.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:If/when Bortles plays next year if the team goes 4-12 or thereabouts, I would fire him. He will have had 3 years, plenty of time to show progress.

Honestly, he has not even shown a modicum of coaching ability. There have been more blunders than epiphanies.

He's a highly paid PR cheerleader at this point. Nothing else.
If team goes 4-12 next year then yeah, that's completely different.

The last sentence is where you lose me. You always look at things from a negative point of view and never (and I mean never) give credit when due. The amount of pressure we put on Foles was the most I've seen since Del Rio era. That's improvement. Our D overall is much improved. Again, a lot of that credit goes to Bradley. Our team is improved from last year. Again, goes back to coaching. Do I think it is fair to criticize him about half time adjustments? Yes. Not calling time out when D wasn't ready? Yes. Bradley not perfect, but you should look at both angles and sides of the argument. You never do.

By the way, what do you think our record will be this year?

I'd rather either Henne heat up or Henne's seat heat up.

Either one is fine with me.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:If team goes 4-12 next year then yeah, that's completely different.

The last sentence is where you lose me. You always look at things from a negative point of view and never (and I mean never) give credit when due. The amount of pressure we put on Foles was the most I've seen since Del Rio era. That's improvement. Our D overall is much improved. Again, a lot of that credit goes to Bradley. Our team is improved from last year. Again, goes back to coaching. Do I think it is fair to criticize him about half time adjustments? Yes. Not calling time out when D wasn't ready? Yes. Bradley not perfect, but you should look at both angles and sides of the argument. You never do.

In all fairness, isn't it nearly impossible to not improve on last years team? I mean, that was essentially rock bottom.

No, Bradley's seat is nice and chilly and that's not changing unless things go really, really, really bad.

Quote:If team goes 4-12 next year then yeah, that's completely different.

If they don't sign some street FAs that may be better than the OL that they have, perhaps worse than last year.  This team has NO OL (Joeckel is NOT close to the #2 pick in any draft and may never be) NO RB (Gerhart sucks),  inexperienced WR with no true #1 although Hurns probably may be a career #2/3 which is a pretty good haul.  The offense is laughingstock level in an offensive league.  You do the math on that.  

But to answer your question either, 4-12 and 5-11.  Party!

Stupid..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

No way.  Players want to play for Gus.  Another few key free agent pickups after this season and Bortles playing every week = playoffs next year.

Not a chance.... they could go 1-15 and they'd still want him here. He's a good motivator... speaking of Motivators... whats Tebow doing now....

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:The guy was obviously hired into a tough situation. Worst roster in the league. Handed Blaine Gabbert. Left to clean up a mess. His personality was an ideal fit but can he coach? We don't know. What we do know is that his record as coach is 4-13.

I think he actually got the benefit of the doubt in 2013 considering the team started 0-8. We didn't hear many complaints about Bradley. Rolling off 4 wins in 5 games was impressive after the bye. But then ended the year on a three game skid. Now that is at four losses in a row.

Although the underdog, it would be no upset if the Jaguars were to win today. Washington was awful that week. RGIII is still a shell of his former self. They are missing starters on both sides of the ball with injury. 

But what if the Jaguars lose?

That would put them at 0-2 and headed back for the home opener. Imagine if Philly wins tonight at Indy. Do you like our chances against a desperate 0-2 Indy team, even at home? The same team that blew us out twice last year. Then it is on the road at San Diego, on the coast of horrors for this franchise. Could 0-4 happen? That would give Bradley an 8 game losing streak and a 7 game losing streak in a year and a half in the NFL. That just doesn't happen.

I think going to 0-2 would cause a lot of angst amongst some of the fan base, but I don't think it changes Bradley's status one bit.  For one, there's no reason to think the Jags couldn't be pushing for .500 by the end of the season.  The second thing, expectations were and should have been low for number of wins.  It was only some individual performances in preseason that had some people getting wrapped up into thinking this was a possible playoff team.  Third thing is that the owner has said he's committed to this staff and I take him at his word.  A committed owner who understands the re-build that was need here isn't going to get frustrated by some tough going very early in the rebuild process.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I think his seat gets hotter if the team finishes 4-12 or worse.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

The roster is not fairly decent. We have some pretty good players starting. Most of the DL, for instance. Linebackers, sure. Corners? I think so. Safetys? Probably. If you look at starters. However, the depth falls off the table after the starters go out. I give you Cyp going down. Our back-ups were (kinda) our bad starters last year. There's a reason we lost ground in every pre-season game after the back-ups came in. Well, except for QB, who was (at least against the 2's) clearly better (in a preseason game) than the starter.

We'll get a  few improvements in starters next off season, but more likely we will improve depth. And in today's NFL, depth is what gets ya through the season. Or even a long game versus a fast team...

Jim

Just a broke-down old college OT...

No.  At least not with the owner.

With some of the fans?  Maybe.  I know, the fans don't control his job so he can't be fired by them and his seat can't be "hot" because of them etc.  I'm saying he's going to start losing the support of the fan base the longer this team keeps Blake on the bench and we get the QB and offensive play we got last week.  Blake needs to start and he needs to start now.  Keeping Henne in as starter is borderline ignorant at this point.  FBT, hb, and whoever else wants to chime in can call me whatever they want but that's my opinion.  We gain nothing by putting Henne in there at QB.  Blake has shown to be mentally tough and his strengths actually would help mask a few of the OL issues.  He's got the ability, even as a rookie, to at least make defenses THINK they should fear the pass.  With Henne, you don't have that.  The OL run blocking has been bad but it would get better in my opinion with a different QB that can make the defense at least question whether they need to respect the passing game.

Quote:If Bortles was starting, it wouldn't even be an issue.

This sums my post up in a lot less words.

It'll be warm all season with the fans as long as he goes out there without the intention of winning the game by starting Henne.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Any angst in the fan base is due to Henne starting over Bortles. These games almost feel like a waste. Mrs Henne should stay at home next week if we lose today.
;

;

No is Bortles in his 2nd year as a starter 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>