Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How important is a win ?

Quote:Who says B5 can't be a better player if he plays now. 
Gus and Dave.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, by the way.  Apparently they believe he will develop more rapidly sitting on the bench than he would actually playing.  I certainly don't agree with the theory.  There's been speculation about his mechanics, knowledge of the playbook, etc., but it's hard to see how actual game time would slow the learning process.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sooner or later we must start winning. I believe it will come. But I have to believe.

There's no doubt Bortles gives us a better chance to win.  You can just see it with the way the team responds when he's in there. It's been said many times but I do believe like many that its more about the state of the Oline than it is about Bortles being ready.  Dave and Gus are not ready to put their #3 pick out there until the line shows it can protect it.

this is henne s last go around why not let him play until we are either in or out. if we are in then we are all happy with progress if not they toss us a treat of bortles for the rest of the year to build back up the hype. maybe just maybe they think we can win with henne.

Quote:this is henne s last go around why not let him play until we are either in or out. if we are in then we are all happy with progress if not they toss us a treat of bortles for the rest of the year to build back up the hype. maybe just maybe they think we can win with henne.

Because you never wanna be left with the "what if?" Feeling. And frankly, im surprised the staff doesnt feel the same way. Let's say bortles goes out and wins 6 or 7 games, but it's too late in the year to make a difference. Then that reflects poorly on the coaching staff and their evaluation.

Quote:Sooner or later we must start winning. I believe it will come. But I have to believe.

Been saying this for nearly a decade.
;

;

Quote:Because you never wanna be left with the "what if?" Feeling. And frankly, im surprised the staff doesnt feel the same way. Let's say bortles goes out and wins 6 or 7 games, but it's too late in the year to make a difference. Then that reflects poorly on the coaching staff and their evaluation.
Exactly. Then everyone will be crying when we come 1 or two games short from making the playoffs. You dont waste seasons on backup qb's. Every year should be about making the tournament.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014, 09:46 PM by finwe.)

They decided to tank this year. and not even by starting a rookie. who might surprise us, so who knows what they are thinking.  though im not even sure who we are tanking for, but im sure some witty slogans will start. 

Of course wins are everything.  its why they play the game.  and another 4-12 year will not be viewed the same way their first year was.  by the fans or the media which was very kind to Bradley and Caldwell.  wont happen a second year.

If the Jags don't win Sunday I'm going to the shelter and kicking every puppy I see.

Not really.

Quote:Because you never wanna be left with the "what if?" Feeling. And frankly, im surprised the staff doesnt feel the same way. Let's say bortles goes out and wins 6 or 7 games, but it's too late in the year to make a difference. Then that reflects poorly on the coaching staff and their evaluation.
Exactly right.  Mathis out for the year, "what if" Luck gets hurt and misses a couple of games?  Suddenly the division is wide open.  

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014, 11:23 PM by Etdavis2006.)

It is always to win but this year is a special circumstance. I knew this was the second year of a rebuild so I went into this year with the expectation that wins would be hard to come by. My focus was improvement and progression. I see those things so I'm pleased.

2015 was always my set point to start expecting wins and the team be towards the top third of the league. Until then I will look for improvement and progression.

Quote:Apparently, it isn't very important at all. We get mad at Houston for tanking, but we are blind to the fact we are doing it ourselves. 

Says agenda boy.  Trust me, the coach's are doing what they think is best for this team and not "tanking". 

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

A win is very important this week. Would be good for morale for this team and the fans.   A blowout loss would be devastating.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:sure in the preseason but you're kidding yourself if you don't think winning is important in the regular season.

And you're kidding yourself if you think this only applies to the preseason.Gus Bradley's personal life philosophy is getting better every day.It is what he said the first time he got here, it is what he said in preseason last year, the regular season last year, preseason this year, and so on and so on. To look primarily at "win-lose record" is to go against the very core of Bradley and this team's philosophy.

This isn't just a Gus Bradley thing either. It is an actual philosophy that I have heard leadership in the workplace echo even before Gus got here (and frankly, it is probably where Gus picked it up).

Now, the NFL is obviously a results-oriented business. But the point is that, if everyone buys in to Gus and what he's teaching, then at some point, these improvements by each individual will come together as improvement for the entire unit. When that happens, then their goals of "get better everyday" will yield the result that Khan and us fans want..

Quote:And you're kidding yourself if you think this only applies to the preseason.Gus Bradley's personal life philosophy is getting better every day.It is what he said the first time he got here, it is what he said in preseason last year, the regular season last year, preseason this year, and so on and so on. To look primarily at "win-lose record" is to go against the very core of Bradley and this team's philosophy.

This isn't just a Gus Bradley thing either. It is an actual philosophy that I have heard leadership in the workplace echo even before Gus got here (and frankly, it is probably where Gus picked it up).

Now, the NFL is obviously a results-oriented business. But the point is that, if everyone buys in to Gus and what he's teaching, then at some point, these improvements by each individual will come together as improvement for the entire unit. When that happens, then their goals of "get better everyday" will yield the result that Khan and us fans want..
^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^
Jaguars Fundamentalist

If we lose this weekend and next to Indy there is no reason to not play Bortles. We need to win NOW but if we don't this fan base needs something to hang their hat on. We need to get him in there and take his lumps now instead of wasting another year. This way next year we will know where we are at.

I have seen what I wanted to see. The defense can play great but has to stay on the field to long because of a terrible offense. The OL will not allow this team to win now. The RB situation is not good either. Both could turn out to be good in time so why not build this all at one time.

I have stayed away from the controversy about the QB's. This is where I stand. We should start Bortles in the game against Pittsburgh in our house. I don't have much faith in our offense but hopefully I am wrong.

Back to original post-----WIN NOW! If not do everything to get the kinks out so you can win soon.

Would love to be winning now but really we're not anywhere close to competing with the likes of New England or Denver at this point in time. We have a very young team that needs to gain more experience. As much as I want to see BB5 play, the OL and WR are nowhere near the level they need to be for Bortles to have much success. Yes he's mobile and can make all the throws but he needs to learn how opposing defenses are going to game plan for him. I've been a Jags fan since the Steve Beuerlein, Vaughn Dunbar days, so I know misery with this team. We'll finish with around 6 wins this season, have another draft pick within the top 15, and gain a few more horses next year. We have a few good young pieces on this team already, so the future is very bright IMO. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will this team.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

I mean, I've got no choice at this point but to have a positive mindset going forward. I'll (try) root for Henne, and for the team to do well. But they claim that this "plan" is best for Bortles, and also gives us the best chance to win. With that being the case, if wins don't come and this year starts going the way of last year, we will have no choice but to be critical. And quite frankly, Shad should be critical too.

Quote:I mean, I've got no choice at this point but to have a positive mindset going forward. I'll (try) root for Henne, and for the team to do well. But they claim that this "plan" is best for Bortles, and also gives us the best chance to win. With that being the case, if wins don't come and this year starts going the way of last year, we will have no choice but to be critical. And quite frankly, Shad should be critical too.

Khan has bought into the plan.  He's not a guy who would sit idly if that wasn't the case. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Khan has bought into the plan.  He's not a guy who would sit idly if that wasn't the case. 
He sat idly by last year because expectations were so low. If the AFC south really is for the taking this year, and there's no improvement in the win column, I'm sure the tune will be very different going forward.

They may not feel the heat this year, but they would heading into year 3.