Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Henne – Just the facts

Quote:LOL. "Cherry picking."   The OP listed his average rankings in 7 major categories.  How on God's green Earth is that cherry-picking?

Just stop.

He's average at best and everyone knows it.  Why can't you accept that?  

Accept what?

We've rehashed this over and over. The only relevant stat that the OP noted that Henne was "average" in was passing yards, which isn't exactly an important stat, especially for a guy that was playing from behind in almost every game of the season. Does being at the league average in attempts and completions really mean something to you?

If you look into the stats more deeply you'll see that his yardage was highest in the 4th quarter of uncompetitive games, in other words he did great in garbage time.

If you eyes haven't already told you the guy is bad then there's no helping you, he makes me pine for the days of Garrard.

All I can say is thank God we have Bortles waiting in the wings.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Accept what?

We've rehashed this over and over. The only relevant stat that the OP noted that Henne was "average" in was passing yards, which isn't exactly an important stat, especially for a guy that was playing from behind in almost every game of the season. Does being at the league average in attempts and completions really mean something to you?

If you look into the stats more deeply you'll see that his yardage was highest in the 4th quarter of uncompetitive games, in other words he did great in garbage time.

If you eyes haven't already told you the guy is bad then there's no helping you, he makes me pine for the days of Garrard.

All I can say is thank God we have Bortles waiting in the wings.
Your response is actually more cherry picking than the OP's.   I'm keenly aware of all of your 'points.'  And I ask you to consider the wording i used. --  "...average at best."

I'll happily agree with you on Bortles and even the Garrard reference. 

Quote:Are we talking about the same guy? I'm talking about the Chad Henne that has never thrown more TDs than INTs in a season, the guy who has never had a season passer rating as high as 80. The guy that blows games at the end if they're close.

Are you talking about that Henne? Because if you are then you're deluding yourself if you think he's as good as average among starting QBs.

By passer rating he wasn't even in the top 30 of guys that had thrown a decent number of attempts. The only stat he's upper tier of the league in is INTs, and it's not the good kind of upper tier of the league.

I don't have a dislike of the guy, I have dislike of having to watch another year of hopelessly bad QB play.

He had some decent stretches last year.  I'll agree 100% that his TD/INT ratio stinks which contributes to his overall QB ranting but this is only the second time in his career the guy's had a second consecutive year in the same offense.  He also played with a very patchwork line last year.  Look, everybody knows he's not our long term answer at the position but he's hardly a terrible player.  Would you rather have Gabbert?

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:He had some decent stretches last year.  I'll agree 100% that his TD/INT ratio stinks which contributes to his overall QB ranting but this is only the second time in his career the guy's had a second consecutive year in the same offense.  He also played with a very patchwork line last year.  Look, everybody knows he's not our long term answer at the position but he's hardly a terrible player.  Would you rather have Gabbert?

No, but I don't see how Henne is better. The difference is Gabbert curled up and Henne just throws it to the other team. Together they were the worst 1-2 QB punch in the league, but that doesn't mean I am happy just because one is gone and now the other one has no immediate competition.

I hope out hope that Bortles is the starter much sooner than the team said he would be and that he's as awesome as we all hope because I'm getting pretty tired of the games being over at halftime because the offense can't move the ball.

All I can say abut Chad is that the team looked like an actual offense once he took over as starter.

If he plays at the same level as he did the x second half of the season, we'll be a 6 to 8 game winning team.

That's probably what we'll see. If we do win 8, I think that will be a great sign of the talent around Henne.

Now, there's something to be said about a player whose back is against the wall. Chad sees the writing on the stall, this is his last shot at realizing his true nfl potential.

My hope is that Chad goes Mark Rypien on the league. The odds aren't good. But that's my hope.

Quote:Are we talking about the same guy? I'm talking about the Chad Henne that has never thrown more TDs than INTs in a season, the guy who has never had a season passer rating as high as 80. The guy that blows games at the end if they're close.

Are you talking about that Henne? Because if you are then you're deluding yourself if you think he's as good as average among starting QBs.

By passer rating he wasn't even in the top 30 of guys that had thrown a decent number of attempts. The only stat he's upper tier of the league in is INTs, and it's not the good kind of upper tier of the league.

I don't have a dislike of the guy, I have dislike of having to watch another year of hopelessly bad QB play.

:teehee:  :no:

Quote:Your response is actually more cherry picking than the OP's.   I'm keenly aware of all of your 'points.'  And I ask you to consider the wording i used. --  "...average at best."

I'll happily agree with you on Bortles and even the Garrard reference. 

Average at best gives the guy way too much credit. When I see him post an 89 passer rating for a season (which is what would have been 16th in the league last year among starters) I'll say he's average at best. Right now I've never seen anything to indicate he's close to that good. He's bottom tier, and even though it may hurt to have to look forward to that, that's exactly what we have to look forward to.

Quote:All I can say abut Chad is that the team looked like an actual offense once he took over as starter.

If he plays at the same level as he did the x second half of the season, we'll be a 6 to 8 game winning team.

That's probably what we'll see. If we do win 8, I think that will be a great sign of the talent around Henne.

Now, there's something to be said about a player whose back is against the wall. Chad sees the writing on the stall, this is his last shot at realizing his true nfl potential.

My hope is that Chad goes Mark Rypien on the league. The odds aren't good. But that's my hope.
I think I can go out there after Gabbert and make the Jags offense look better than he did.

Quote:No, but I don't see how Henne is better. The difference is Gabbert curled up and Henne just throws it to the other team. Together they were the worst 1-2 QB punch in the league, but that doesn't mean I am happy just because one is gone and now the other one has no immediate competition.

I hope out hope that Bortles is the starter much sooner than the team said he would be and that he's as awesome as we all hope because I'm getting pretty tired of the games being over at halftime because the offense can't move the ball.

Henne also moved the ball at times which is > Gabbert.  Also Henne threw 14 interceptions l last year if you're using that as a criteria which was about average compared to some others.  Heck, Eli Manning threw almost twice that number!  Don't worry, when Bortles is ready he'll start and I think most people agree he'll be a great upgrade in the long run.

Quote:I think I can go out there after Gabbert and make the Jags offense look better than he did.

Easy there Prisco.

Quote:I think I can go out there after Gabbert and make the Jags offense look better than he did.

Lol, probably! But the fact still remains... Chad is an nfl QB.

We as fans know bad QB play. While we wish we had an elite QB, Chad isn't that. What he is can be defined as mediocre at best. I'll take that during a rebuild, especially when we have our potential franchise getting prepped.

And who knows, Chad may have the push to break out this year.

Hey, you get it.

Looking "better than Gabbert" is a really bad yardstick to measure a QBs quality by.

it's just been so long since we've had even average play here that people are confusing what Henne does for average play.

You can argue he didn't have a good surrounding cast, but his stats were pathetic.

Chad Henne stats not listed in the OP:

Yds/A 33rd

passer rating 31st

yds/game 27th

QBR 31st

He was not average last year.

Maybe I'm miss remembering this... But didn't Chad only start 8 games last year?

Didn't he go 4-4 in that stretch?

I don't know about anyone's definition of average is, but I'd say that's average

Quote:Average at best gives the guy way too much credit. 

When he plays at his best. It's average. He doesn't always do that. He rarely does it in fact.   If that's too much credit - you are just blinded by your tired old agenda. 

(BTW - accusing anyone of cherry picking is insanely rich coming from the guy who tried to cobble together a stat line to prove that Gabbert was - and I quote - "clutch.")

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 04:40 PM by Oklahomie.)

Quote:When he plays at his best. It's average. He doesn't always do that. He rarely does it in fact.   If that's too much credit - you are just blinded by your tired old agenda. 

(BTW - accusing anyone of cherry picking is insanely rich coming from the guy who tried to cobble together a stat line to prove that Gabbert was - and I quote - "clutch.")

The stats supported the argument. Turns out it was either illusory or he declined. Either way you only weaken your own point by continually bringing Gabbert into a discussion about Henne.

I take it you mean he can appear to be average in spurts, which is an idiotic argument to make. Gabbert looked really good in spurts, does that mean he was really good at best?

You don't talk about QBs based on isolated play, you talk about them based on what they do over a game or a whole season, and in that context it's clear that Henne is bad.

Quote:The stats supported the argument. Turns out it was either illusory or he declined. Either way you only weaken your own point by continually bringing Gabbert into a discussion about Henne.

I take it you mean he can appear to be average in spurts, which is an idiotic argument to make. Gabbert looked really good in spurts, does that mean he was really good at best?

You don't talk about QBs based on isolated play, you talk about them based on what they do over a game or a whole season, and in that context it's clear that Henne is bad.
LOL.  Thanks for the advice on "how to talk about QBs."  Again.... quite rich.    

I think the guy is capable of playing at an average level - but he did it in only half (roughly) of his outings last season.  That's how I see it.  Call it idiotic all you like.  That's my opinion on the guy.  

Quote:LOL. "Cherry picking."   The OP listed his average rankings in 7 major categories.  How on God's green Earth is that cherry-picking?

Just stop.

He's average at best and everyone knows it.  Why can't you accept that?  

Because the guy he championed, isn't even that.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:So, all that to say Henne is average at best?

I think that's been pretty well established, hasn't it?

See BB5's reps increases over Henne's...

NH3...
"AZANE"

My Sentiments Exactly...

Henne is proven to be Unproven...

BB5 is Unproven but he's Much More of our future than Henne is...

NH3...
"AZANE"