Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brandon Linder signs

Quote:

I wouldn't describe Linder as a mauler
....but he's a smart player who usually plays technically sound. Pretty much equally adequate in run blocking or pass pro. I liked the pick.

FWIW, Jeff Lageman gave him the nickname "The Phone Booth Mangeler"

[Media] http://prod.video.jaguars.clubs.nfl.com/...-1200k.mp4[/media]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2014, 11:28 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:FWIW, Jeff Lageman gave him the nickname "The Phone Booth Mangeler"

[Media] http://prod.video.jaguars.clubs.nfl.com/...-1200k.mp4[/media]

Well yeah, and Jeff Lageman also allegedly once labeled Akin Ayodele as the best pass rusher he's ever seen....

I'm not saying that Linder is any pushover or anything...but "mauler" isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of him. I think Larry Allen type when I hear the term "mauler" or Greg Robinson from the most recent draft. 

Quote:Well yeah, and Jeff Lageman also allegedly once labeled Akin Ayodele as the best pass rusher he's ever seen....

I'm not saying that Linder is any pushover or anything...but "mauler" isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of him. I think Larry Allen type when I hear the term "mauler" or Greg Robinson.

I agree, hence the FWIW. When I think of Mauler I think of Vince Manuwai. The guy would flat out lay you on your back and keep you in the dirt every single snap and enjoyed doing it.

But Linder is more of a mauler than a technician and has the body and athleticism (or lack thereof) to beat up on his man.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2014, 11:54 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I agree, hence the FWIW. When I think of Mauler I think of Vince Manuwai. The guy would flat out lay you on your back and keep you in the dirt every single snap and enjoyed doing it.

But Linder is more of a mauler than a technician and has the body and athleticism (or lack thereof) to beat up on his man.

He may not have the rep of a technician, but IMO he's underrated in that capacity. In the games I watched him, and where the camera went back and focused on him following several standout plays, he was executing his assignment well particularly in pass blocking. Now I could have just caught him on his good days, and missed some of the bad, but I have a good feeling about this pick. I think he's going to be a player that overachieves (considering his consensus draft stock) in the NFL. 

I talked to Louis Nix momma and told her if he abuses Linder that I will not mow their yard anymore. Done deal. Next.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 07:56 AM by DewtheMathis.)

If the #4 pick hyped up WR Sammy Watkins received a 4 years, $19.94M fully guaranteed; $12.8M signing bonus deal

and Clowney the really hyped up #1 overall picked received 4 years, $22.272M fully guaranteed; $14.518M signing bonus

I assume that the Jaguars franchise offered him probably $21M fully guaranteed, $13.2M signing bonus deal, but maybe they fighting over small details or hundred thousands of dollars difference?  It has to be close to that range though.

Quote:If the #4 pick hyped up WR Sammy Watkins received a 4 years, $19.94M fully guaranteed; $12.8M signing bonus deal

and Clowney the really hyped up #1 overall picked received 4 years, $22.272M fully guaranteed; $14.518M signing bonus

I assume that the Jaguars franchise offered him probably $21M fully guaranteed, $13.2M signing bonus deal, but maybe they fighting over small details or hundred thousands of dollars difference?  It has to be close to that range though.

I think you're reading too much into things.  I doubt there's any fighting going on.  It's possible they haven't even really started talking to Bortles yet.  It looks like they've been working their way up to that point. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Well yeah, and Jeff Lageman also allegedly once labeled Akin Ayodele as the best pass rusher he's ever seen....

I'm not saying that Linder is any pushover or anything...but "mauler" isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of him. I think Larry Allen type when I hear the term "mauler" or Greg Robinson from the most recent draft. 
I'd love for you to actually provide some proof about Lageman ever saying that beyond the "Well, someone said it here." 

I'll trust Lageman's evaluations over, say, yours any day of the week.  He's looking at actual film on these players, not some brief instant replay once in a blue moon as you do.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I am prepared to see Linder not look good to start out, just as I am prepared to see the line as a whole not look good out of the gate. There is one returning starter on the line. I expect it to take a little time to see the cohesion that comes with time spent playing together. It's not that the guys are bad players, but they haven't gelled yet. I expect the first few games to be somewhat of a steep learning curve. This coupled with the fact that Yarno is battling medical/personal issues doesn't help matters.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I am prepared to see Linder not look good to start out, just as I am prepared to see the line as a whole not look good out of the gate. There is one returning starter on the line. I expect it to take a little time to see the cohesion that comes with time spent playing together. It's not that the guys are bad players, but they haven't gelled yet. I expect the first few games to be somewhat of a steep learning curve. This coupled with the fact that Yarno is battling medical/personal issues doesn't help matters.

Exactly. And this is a reason why we don't want to rush the rookie out there to take snaps behind a line that needs time to gel.

Quote:I'd love for you to actually provide some proof about Lageman ever saying that beyond the "Well, someone said it here." 

I'll trust Lageman's evaluations over, say, yours any day of the week.  He's looking at actual film on these players, not some brief instant replay once in a blue moon as you do.

relax there chief, I said "allegedly". 

I actually like Lageman. But lets not act as if he's infallible. No one is. That was kinda the point. 

Quote:relax there chief, I said "allegedly". 

I actually like Lageman. But lets not act as if he's infallible. No one is. That was kinda the point. 

Nobody is calling him infallible.  But, in a comparison with your analysis?  He's pretty close.

The funny thing here is you regularly bring up the "alleged" comments he made about Ayodele.  Akin hasn't been a Jaguar in almost a decade.  Keep clinging. 

Quote:The funny thing here is you regularly bring up the "alleged" comments he made about Ayodele.  Akin hasn't been a Jaguar in almost a decade.  Keep clinging. 

Regularly? ah, no. A couple times in the past, where it was fitting for the convo? Yes.

I don't have any witch hunt out for Lageman. Again, just trying to illustrate that he's "Good" at player evaluation, not "God" when it comes to player evaluation. B)

And, no, I don't think I'm better than him, FBT.....so, again, take a deep breath and relax. 

Quote:Regularly? ah, no. A couple times in the past, where it was fitting for the convo? Yes.

I don't have any witch hunt out for Lageman. Again, just trying to illustrate that he's "Good" at player evaluation, not "God" when it comes to player evaluation. B)

And, no, I don't think I'm better than him, FBT.....so, again, take a deep breath and relax. 

Nobody is saying he's God.  But, he's probably one of the best at what he does as far as being able to break down film, review players, and provide a very concise, clear, understandable evaluation of players.  I've spoken to a couple of guys in the media who have said that Lageman has been targeted for national jobs with the networks, and he's declined preferring to stay local. 

Quote:Nobody is saying he's God.  But, he's probably one of the best at what he does as far as being able to break down film, review players, and provide a very concise, clear, understandable evaluation of players.  I've spoken to a couple of guys in the media who have said that Lageman has been targeted for national jobs with the networks, and he's declined preferring to stay local. 

Question - is Lageman remaining on the broadcast as the color man? While I wasn't the biggest fan of Sexton, I always felt that Lageman did a good job and really seemed comfortable and a natural as the color man. 

Quote:Nobody is saying he's God.  But, he's probably one of the best at what he does as far as being able to break down film, review players, and provide a very concise, clear, understandable evaluation of players.  I've spoken to a couple of guys in the media who have said that Lageman has been targeted for national jobs with the networks, and he's declined preferring to stay local. 
That's not surprising about the national media offers. I think a lot of people may take for granted just how good he as at what he does. I am glad that he has forgone other opportunities to stay here in Jacksonville.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Question - is Lageman remaining on the broadcast as the color man? While I wasn't the biggest fan of Sexton, I always felt that Lageman did a good job and really seemed comfortable and a natural as the color man. 
Last word I heard is that he will stay on in that capacity.

Linder is a huge pick up... getting starting time from a late rounder would be nice.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

So when did the debate change from Linder to Lageman

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana