Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blackmon. Why All The Secrecy?

I think the fact that he's not even responding to teammates trying to reach out to him is a really bad sign.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm sure there were terms that came with the 4 game suspension such as an alcohol rehab program and drug testing. I'm guessing he has failed to comply with those terms so his suspension becomes indefinite upon compliance.

I'm thinking he is in violation of the terms of his suspension by either not participating in the rehabilitation program or refusing drug tests, thus the indefinite tag until he comes into compliance.

I imagine privacy laws prevent the league from discussing the details and Blackmon isn't making any statements.
Great. If that's the case, why won't they disclose such vague information? It's not a pending patent or national security that we're talking about here. Why don't they say that he is in a program, and the reason he is indefinitely suspended is related to his progress in said program. Is that breaking some privilege? Is that too much to ask for?

Like I said in prior posts, there is certainly a whole lot more accompanying information with most other players in similar circumstances. Why is this case so different?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I think the fact that he's not even responding to teammates trying to reach out to him is a really bad sign.
I agree, and thankfully, that's at least some information we, as fans, are at least getting. It may not be positive information, but at least it's not being guarded like plans for an atomic bomb.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Maybe the answer is staring you in the face. There is no secrecy. Its just no news to report. Blackmon is back home doing who knows what. Whenever he decides to do what he's supposed to do to apply for reinstatement I'm sure we'll hear about it.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Maybe the answer is staring you in the face. There is no secrecy. Its just no news to report. Blackmon is back home doing who knows what. Whenever he decides to do what he's supposed to do to apply for reinstatement I'm sure we'll hear about it.
When can he apply for reinstatement? What are the parameters considered for reinstatement? There are always questions, and ones that don't infringe on confidentiality. Nobody's asking them. Why?

Quote:You're points are well thought out, but that's also the point of Dakota...  Most times, we get some details when other players are involved.  You'd think with Blackmon, a huge commodity when he came out, would have alot of investigative reporters trying to get to the bottom of it.  But in Blackmon's situation, it's been all darkness in terms of information....  It's just...  Odd...

For whatever it's worth, he obviously has problems.  So maybe he's just taken a Ricky Williams approach and has said "bag it all" to the powers that be and the media that is sniffing around.  

But still, it's just really weird.  You'd think someone somewhere would have given some semblance of a story on this one.  I've been reading all the posts on Blackmon, and the last big hullaballooo was about his car incident late at night---which I jumped all over--- but other than that, there's no real information on what happened, and why the indefinite suspension...
The details you have gotten regarding other players usually come from the player or a police report which is public record.

For the league to release information on the situation without Blackmon's consent would be a violation of his privacy much akin to releasing his medical records considering addiction is considered a medical issue.

The law requires a certain amount of employer employee confidentiality. Just like you can't say anything about a former employee to a prospective employer regarding what kind of worker he was or why he is no longer employed, unless it was for breaking the law which would be public record. You could get sued.

Quote:While your point is valid, it doesn't explain the secrecy. Yes, Blackmon's appeal was denied. You say that the suspension that was handed down will have to be served. What is the suspension? That's the whole point of what I'm asking. There is so little information about what happened, and what's happened in the league process, and everyone at face value seems just fine with it. Why is that?

Hell, we know that several players failed their combine drug tests this year, and we know why. Diluted samples. Using that example, why is it that we all know next to nothing about what Blackmon did, why his suspension is what it is, and why it's different than others such as Gordon.

Quote:I'm sure there were terms that came with the 4 game suspension such as an alcohol rehab program and drug testing. I'm guessing he has failed to comply with those terms so his suspension becomes indefinite upon compliance.

I'm thinking he is in violation of the terms of his suspension by either not participating in the rehabilitation program or refusing drug tests, thus the indefinite tag until he comes into compliance.

I imagine privacy laws prevent the league from discussing the details and Blackmon isn't making any statements.
I think you're right and the 4 game suspension probably included a probationary period.  A violation of those conditions resulted in an automatic suspension, to remain in effect until certain conditions were met, specifically, successful completion of an approved rehabilitation program. 

For the Jaguars and the league, he simply doesn't exist until he addresses the problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that has, or is likely to happen soon, if ever. 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:When can he apply for reinstatement? What are the parameters considered for reinstatement? There are always questions, and ones that don't infringe on confidentiality. Nobody's asking them. Why?

I don't think that applies only to Blackmon though. I don't think I've ever heard of a player or some media report leaking the terms needed to apply for reinstatement.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Goodell put him on double secret probation Ninja
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Maybe the answer is staring you in the face. There is no secrecy. Its just no news to report. Blackmon is back home doing who knows what. Whenever he decides to do what he's supposed to do to apply for reinstatement I'm sure we'll hear about it.

Or he doesn't apply...

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014, 10:20 PM by Dakota.)

Quote:I don't think that applies only to Blackmon though. I don't think I've ever heard of a player or some media report leaking the terms needed to apply for reinstatement.
It's a corporation which is antitrust exempt. They also publicly collectively bargain with the NFLPA. Those terms are public knowledge. The reporting can be very generic in nature, and would not pertain to a certain player, but to the system as a whole. Yet, there is no talk about the process, and what's going on, and where Blackmon stands, which can be told in very generic terms without violating any confidentiality.

Quote:Goodell put him on double secret probation Ninja
I don't think a toga party is going to help his cause at all. Banana

Quote:It's a corporation which is antitrust exempt. They also publicly collectively bargain with the NFLPA. Those terms are public knowledge. The reporting can be very generic in nature, and would not pertain to a certain player, but to the system as a whole. Yet, there is no talk about the process, and what's going on, and where Blackmon stands, which can be told in very generic terms without violating any confidentiality.
I think we can safely assume it's a rehab issue and that Blackmon is unwilling or unable to comply. 

Allow me to throw some more wood on the fire.

We've discussed confidentiality from the league's, Jaguars' and NFLPA's perspective but we haven't looked at it from Blackmon's.  Why is he being so secretive of his activities?  Why is no one interested?  Not even B rated media outlets research and report.

It's so strange......an enigma wrapped up in a riddle.

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014, 10:29 PM by Dakota.)

Quote:Allow me to throw some more wood on the fire.

We've discussed confidentiality from the league's, Jaguars' and NFLPA's perspective but we haven't looked at it from Blackmon's.  Why is he being so secretive of his activities?  Why is no one interested?  Not even B rated media outlets research and report.

It's so strange......an enigma wrapped up in a riddle.

That may be the answer. Maybe not the answer we all want to hear as fans, but couldn't someone from the team, the league or the NFLPA come out and just state that if that were indeed the case? Couldn't someone say that the reason that there is an information disconnect is because the player wants it to be that way? That's not violating anyone's rights.

Quote:That may be the answer. Maybe not the answer we all want to hear as fans, but couldn't someone from the team, the league or the NFLPA come out and just state that? Couldn't someone say that the reason that there is an information disconnect is because the player wants it to be that way? That's not violating anyone's rights.
Isn't that obviously the case?  If it was an unfair or unreasonable condition, we would know already.  Nothing prevents Blackmon from reaching out to the media.  To me, the fact that he's been invisible says a great deal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The weirdest thing about this situation is that no one knows anything. In this day and age you could probably keep tabs on anyone, let alone a well known player. Not just the media, but nothing on twitter, facebook, no one recently saw him out in public and asked, took a picture, etc.It's almost like he left the planet. I'd assume he's in a rehab somewhere, not wanting anyone to know where he is. If thats the case I also assume he doesn't plan on applying for reinstatement any time soon. He may want to wait until he feels like he's passed it.

Quote:Isn't that obviously the case?  If it was an unfair or unreasonable condition, we would know already.  Nothing prevents Blackmon from reaching out to the media.  To me, the fact that he's been invisible says a great deal.

And that is part of the reason I have major doubts about Blackmon ever becoming the WR that people are saying he has the potential of being.

You cannot be considered an elite, or even a potentially elite, prospect if you aren't on the field.  It seems like the fact that there is no fight from his side is a sign of contrition/quit.  

Of course the opposite could be true...  But then we wouldn't have circumstances like the one during the winter when he had car problems at the wee hours of the morning.  Again, it just doesn't look good.

Quote:Isn't that obviously the case?  If it was an unfair or unreasonable condition, we would know already.  Nothing prevents Blackmon from reaching out to the media.  To me, the fact that he's been invisible says a great deal.
It could be the case, but is it too much to ask for the team, the league of the NFLPA to confirm it? I don't think that would be asking too much.

I think with Blackmon's alcholol issues there is a good chance it's comorbid with anxiety and depression. It's quite possible he really dosent see the people trying to help him and he feels alienated.