Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chris Naeole had one of the best seasons in NFL history?

Quote:Nobody that physically slow in almost everything he did was ever going to be much beyond average in this league. And I'm not saying he needed to be a scrambler or anything....its just that all of his movements were plodding and deliberate and in a league where speed and quickness kill, he simply had little chance. 

He wasn't just slow athletically, he had a windup that would rival that of most pitchers that throw from the stretch and naturally, that led to issues with ball security.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Nobody that physically slow in almost everything he did was ever going to be much beyond average in this league. And I'm not saying he needed to be a scrambler or anything....its just that all of his movements were plodding and deliberate and in a league where speed and quickness kill, he simply had little chance. 

Probably not but he was having his first OK season up to that point, and it's possible that he could have turned it around with the way he was performing. That injury doomed him.

Quote:I thought Leftwich's arrow was pointing up until he got hurt in the 2005 Arizona game. 

It was; Leftwich had just risen into the top ten NFL QBs, and was getting more and more comfortable in his role. After that injury he was never the same.

And Garrard was terrible until 2007. People seem to forget how badly he played, and that he had lost the starting job to Quinn Gray at the end of the 2006 season. His 2004 game against the tacks (down to their 3rd string CBs at the time) was pathetic.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:He wasn't just slow athletically, he had a windup that would rival that of most pitchers that throw from the stretch and naturally, that led to issues with ball security.

I used to refer to him as "Juan Marichal" while watching the games. lol....

Quote:It was; Leftwich had just risen into the top ten NFL QBs, and was getting more and more comfortable in his role. After that injury he was never the same.

That 2005 schedule he played was fairly easy, though too. 

Leftwich had the propensity to be completely ineffective in any given game, regardless of opposing talent. The game that I still shake my head in disgust over was the 2004 late season game vs the Texans at HOME....when we were fighting for a playoff spot and we proceeded to be shutout. And the Texans weren't very good at that time. 

To get this thread back on track.... Naeole was very good for us. No doubt best RG in our history. He and Vince were straight road graters

Quote:I used to refer to him as "Juan Marichal" while watching the games. lol....

That 2005 schedule he played was fairly easy, though too. 

Leftwich had the propensity to be completely ineffective in any given game, regardless of opposing talent. The game that I still shake my head in disgust over was the 2004 late season game vs the Texans at HOME....when we were fighting for a playoff spot and we proceeded to be shutout. And the Texans weren't very good at that time. 

Other than playing both Super Bowl teams?

Quote:Why did the Saints not re-sign Naeole anyway? 

Amazing he was allowed to get to unrestricted free agency. 

I don't know.

I don't think he was worth the top ten pick they spent to get him (IIRC), but he was a good player.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Those Saints teams in the early 2000's were pretty talented but severely underachieved.

The Saints had Roaf and Turley as bookends with Naeole at one guard spot. Should have been an elite offensive line.

As for Naeole...one of the best FA signings in team history.

Naeole was a pretty darn good player.  Not many will give him the credit he deserves because he was a guard, but putting him next to Brad Meester was a good combo.

Always came off as a really nice guy too.

Quote:Fact. At least according to the approximate value statistic. In 2005, he registered an AV rating of 21, which is the best single season mark in Jaguars history. As well, nobody has posted a single-season AV over 20 since Aaron Rodgers did it in 2011. He is tied for having the 31st best season in the history of the NFL, which is absolutely insane when you think about it. For an even better perspective, the highest AV we have had the past 2 season was Poz this year with 9. In Boselli's best season, he posted an AV of 15.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/le...season.htm

Naeole was one of the underrated Jags of all-time. Obviously, this was by far his best season, as he never posted better than a 10 AV in any other year, but it goes to show just how important he was to our playoff run that year. Just an interesting fact I wanted to pass along!

19-25 MVP- or Player Of The Year level performance   12-18 All-Pro/Pro Bowl level performance   6-11 Starter quality   3-5 Backup player or limited playing time   1-2 Role player   0 Scrub
I dont disagree that he was a good guard but my problem with the data is too much is left up to perception, and one's personal view point.

I agree!

[/haeole]

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:To get this thread back on track.... Naeole was very good for us. No doubt best RG in our history. He and Vince were straight road graters

I do agree, but also wonder how much of that was the benefit for blocking for an all timer like Taylor and a backup like MoJo. 

Quote:Other than playing both Super Bowl teams?

Well, yeah. Other than those two games, the 2005 schedule was fairly benign. Even the Seattle game (one of those super bowl teams) was fortunate, as we got them in the opener, here, and wasn't it also a 1pm start? Those are notoriously/ historically tougher for Seattle and other WC teams. I remember despite Seattle hanging tough until halftime, the heat finally got to them in the 2nd half and they were toast. Jags shut them out in the 2nd half of that game. 

Quote:I do agree, but also wonder how much of that was the benefit for blocking for an all timer like Taylor and a backup like MoJo. 

Well, yeah. Other than those two games, the 2005 schedule was fairly benign. Even the Seattle game (one of those super bowl teams) was fortunate, as we got them in the opener, here, and wasn't it also a 1pm start? Those are notoriously/ historically tougher for Seattle and other WC teams. I remember despite Seattle hanging tough until halftime, the heat finally got to them in the 2nd half and they were toast. Jags shut them out in the 2nd half of that game. 
I think that was part of why it was so high but at the same time remember how our running game looked in 2008 with our oline in shambles?

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffcc00></FONT>[url=http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Ratix240sx/?action=view&current=untitled5.jpg][/url]

Quote:I agree!

[/haeole]
Classic Jaguars.com Message board post, right there

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.