Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gus Bradley

There were always questions about Del Rio, even when he got the extension.  I don't think the kind of issues we saw with Jack will be revisited upon us with Gus. 

To be honest, I really don't care what the terms of the contract are, and I'm not sure why you're concerned either.  It's not your money, and if Gus falls on his face, we know the owner won't hesitate to make a change.  Weaver sat on it because he was trying to cut costs so he could sell the team.  Khan is in a completely different stratosphere.  If the guy doesn't pan out, I doubt he's going to hesitate to do what he thinks is necessary regardless of the money.  Keeping a bad coach will end up costing him money, and I don't get the sense that Khan is a guy who likes to lose.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:There were always questions about Del Rio, even when he got the extension.  I don't think the kind of issues we saw with Jack will be revisited upon us with Gus. 

To be honest, I really don't care what the terms of the contract are, and I'm not sure why you're concerned either.  It's not your money, and if Gus falls on his face, we know the owner won't hesitate to make a change.  Weaver sat on it because he was trying to cut costs so he could sell the team.  Khan is in a completely different stratosphere.  If the guy doesn't pan out, I doubt he's going to hesitate to do what he thinks is necessary regardless of the money.  Keeping a bad coach will end up costing him money, and I don't get the sense that Khan is a guy who likes to lose.

I get that sense too...I'm just leery because of what we had to go through with that bad contract. I don't want to ever be in that position again. One way to safeguard against it is keeping the contract extensions to a moderate length. 

I still don't get the concern.  It's clear based on what we've already seen that Khan won't hesitate to move on if things aren't going right.  I don't anticipate that happening, as I expect to see Gus progress beyond what we've been accustomed to here for a long time. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Meh, JDR seemed like he just stopped caring and was coming in just to collect a paycheck.

Gus doesn't seem like that kind of person to me.

I'm not sure an NFL team can cherry pick another HC.  So who cares right now if he's underpaid in comparison to the market value and the MB perception of his value?

If Bradley AND Caldwell continue on the same trajectory we are currently forecasting then they will be handsomely rewarded.  

The difference between Khan and WW is the difference from a small town mentality and a big city mentality.  WW was small potatoes and the culture in the front office reflected it.  They were always looking for discounts.  The ultimate reflection became Gene Smith.  

Khan is already showing that he's looking at a much grander scale than we've seen from this franchise ever.  

It's exciting to see how this all plays out over the next 3 years.

I believe Gus is the right coach at the right time for the Jags. I couldn't find his salary as Defensive Coordinator with Seahawks, but would bet the 3 Mil he's getting with the Jags is a big upgrade to his previous salary. Love the trifecta of Kahn, Caldwell, and Bradley for many years, and many division Championships to come. Loving me some Jags Football right about now!!!!!!

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Quote:His salary is $3m a year, almost $1.1m under the league average.  For comparison's sake, Chip Kelly pulls in over $7m and they were competing for the same teams.

I thought Gus was in the 4.5 to 5 million range.  Is anyone else surprised to hear this? 
I want to make $3M a year and feel cheated also. :yes:

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I really liked Del Rio and wish him success but he completely lost this team. Players just stopped responding too him and that was clear watching some of the events on the sideline.

From what I've seen thus far, Bradley is already a better coach than JDR proved himself to be.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

JDR seemed to me to be a guy who believed that you just had to work harder than the other guy and things would fall into place. We as fans heard time and again that Del Rio "treated his players as men" and I think that was his biggest downfall. It just seemed like he trusted players to motivate themselves and really had no way to reach the ones that fell out of his ideal. See "Peterson, Mike".

Bradley on the other hand leads by energy and enthusiasm. We are hearing about how positive and energetic he is and that is infectious. It can spread to others very quickly, especially with the  "Juice" players that are currently on the roster. If you are being encouraged to simply perform at your best, that's actually an easy thing. Plus, it has an apparent benefit; it makes you a better football player. You're not just learning one trick to please just one coaching staff; you are becoming a better player and every coaching staff likes better football players.

I admit, I'm a fan of Bradley but mostly because of his approach. I really hope he starts having success so that he can be a long term fixture here.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I still think JDR was a good coach, just not a great one.

We went to the playoffs twice under his watch, with what we all acknowledge was a sub-par GM at the time. The GM and the coach can't have both been terrible under those circumstances.

Quote:I still think JDR was a good coach, just not a great one.

We went to the playoffs twice under his watch,

over 9 years...

and zero times once the Coughlin studs were gone.

Quote:over 9 years...

and zero times once the Coughlin studs were gone.

Right, so when he had good players he had some success. That's my point.

You can't say all the leadership sucked at the same time on a team that went to the playoffs for a few years.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014, 02:11 PM by Swaguars.)

Quote:JDR seemed to me to be a guy who believed that you just had to work harder than the other guy and things would fall into place. We as fans heard time and again that Del Rio "treated his players as men" and I think that was his biggest downfall. It just seemed like he trusted players to motivate themselves and really had no way to reach the ones that fell out of his ideal. See "Peterson, Mike".

Bradley on the other hand leads by energy and enthusiasm. We are hearing about how positive and energetic he is and that is infectious. It can spread to others very quickly, especially with the  "Juice" players that are currently on the roster. If you are being encouraged to simply perform at your best, that's actually an easy thing. Plus, it has an apparent benefit; it makes you a better football player. You're not just learning one trick to please just one coaching staff; you are becoming a better player and every coaching staff likes better football players.

I admit, I'm a fan of Bradley but mostly because of his approach. I really hope he starts having success so that he can be a long term fixture here.
Bradley makes the energizer bunny look like a punk

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM by Deacon.)

Quote:Right, so when he had good players he had some success. That's my point.

You can't say all the leadership sucked at the same time on a team that went to the playoffs for a few years.

Yeah huh! Watch me!

"all the leadership sucked at the same time on a team that went to the playoffs for a few years."

Did that blow your mind?! That. Just. Happened!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Right, so when he had good players he had some success. That's my point.

I dunno man.....The Eagles won a playoff game with Kotite.....the Cowboys won a SB with Switzer....

I don't think the Jags having some success under JDR really proves that he was all that good of a head coach. 

You can correct me if I'm wrong because you know you're football history better than me, but didn't the Eagles have an all-time great defense that year and the Cowboys an all-time great roster in general?

I'd certainly say the 2005 and 2007 Jags didn't have that level of dominant talent. He never had a great QB or a multitude of Pro Bowl talent so I think his early tenure had about the amount of success that can be expected out of the talent of his roster. In the end I bet we see his tenure similarly. He didn't adapt with the current league trends mainly, and he seemed to tire out and/or his message wore thin with the players. I also agree with you that we hung onto him for much too long.

Anyway, it's not really worth arguing over, I'm just saying he wasn't a complete dog turd - he had some success here.

Quote:I know I supported the JDR extension....and later I saw that I was short sighted in doing so as we got burned by giving him 5 more years.  Thats why I am trying to learn from history rather than repeat it. 

While Khan has more dough than Weaver, I still don't think he'd want to eat 3 years of contract for anyone. Thats the situation we could be put in with a contract extension of 5 years. 

The above sort of contradicts itself too. On one hand you are saying that you're not worried about the JDR situation repeating itself because of Khan's deeper pockets, yet the deeper pockets doesn't factor in when it comes to worrying about another team trying to cherry pick Bradley. 

I think as long as Khan keeps Bradley in proper pay with contract extensions by his lame duck year, that 3 year contract extensions will be enough to keep him happy. 

He ate 2 years worth of Mularkey.  I know it's not 3, but I figure we can bump it up to 3 by counting the year he coached.

Quote:He ate 2 years worth of Mularkey.  I know it's not 3, but I figure we can bump it up to 3 by counting the year he coached.

true.....but remember Mularkey also was making chump change. (by NFL standards)....When/ if Bradley gets his contract extension, it will include a hefty annual pay raise. Eating 3 years of contract at that point will be night & day different than eating 2 years of Mularkey's deal. 

Del Rio coached a lot of inconstant football teams. The Jags in his tenure were either hot or cold and really nothing in between.