Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We have seriously overrated Justin Blackmon

If you take a look at the game logs of Green, Jones, and Johnson there are a few where they were "nonexistent."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...0/gamelog/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...2/gamelog/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...0/gamelog/

Even the season where Johnson had almost 2,000 yrds receiving he had two games with 3 receptions. 

And get this... his rookie year he didn't have a 100 yrd game till his 13th game in the season. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It still doesn't change how you said he was a non-factor in 8/20 games, and you use that as justification for why we overrate him. Considering that most of those games came at the beginning of his rookie season, it's hard to explain why that should be used as a reason he's overrated since he's had a couple of amazing games and decent production with two bad QBs throwing to him.

He's a good player.

Cecil Shorts has also produced with the same lackluster QB play.

Nowhere did I say he's not good. Just comparing him to the Julio Jones' of the world is a bit of a stretch IMO.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

To a degree, I'm playing devil's advocate.

Since his breakout game against the Texans, he was mostly good.

But his last 2 games he played were not very good, and in his last one he was invisible just like everyone else.

I don't even see him on a Dez Bryant level, but that's just me.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:He's a good player.

Cecil Shorts has also produced with the same lackluster QB play.

Nowhere did I say he's not good. Just comparing him to the Julio Jones' of the world is a bit of a stretch IMO.

What would it take for Blackmon to be on their level then?

I havent really rated JB as a #1 WR. To me he is a good #2. Nothing wrong with that but I know some people here thought he was the 2nd coming of jesus

This is just wrong. 

Justin Blackmon is not overrated by some of us. He really IS as good as advertised. 

I think this is just Jags fan trying to convince himself that Blackmon's not that good so they can try and rationalize his dismissal. 

Quote:This is just wrong. 

Justin Blackmon is not overrated by some of us. He really IS as good as advertised. 

I think this is just Jags fan trying to convince himself that Blackmon's not that good so they can try and rationalize his dismissal. 

This +1.  He was going to be very, very good.  Now....he is just an idiot and another wasted first round pick in a long line of duds the Jaguars have selected.

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

Quote:This is crazy.

Those "bad" games aren't even that bad. A 69-yard game is "bad", but a 70-yard game is "good". Every WR has games like these, but not every WR has Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne as their QBs. 

I agree. 

Even when Justin has a "bad" game, its actually still NOT really all that bad. If a 50-60 yard game is Justin's "bad" game, thats almost 1000 yards a 16 game season right there....then you add in his good and great games. 

What rookie WR has a game like Blackmon had vs Houston in 2012 with stinkin Chad Henne throwing him the rock???

Then look at how dominant he was against Denver....

He most certainly is a top level talent. Right up there with Julio Jones and AJ Green

Quote:What would it take for Blackmon to be on their level then?

A greater sample size, for starters.

More than 3 100 yard games in 20...

Guys, I'm not saying he hasn't shown flashes of greatness.  He has.  

He's also shown he can be shut out of games, quite often actually.  

I said he has the ability/potential to be a pro bowl receiver, but he has only shown to be good inconsistently thus far in his career.

Quote:This +1.  He was going to be very, very good.  Now....he is just an idiot and another wasted first round pick in a long line of duds the Jaguars have selected.

I just can't and won't give up on him yet. 

Quote:I agree. 

Even when Justin has a "bad" game, its actually still NOT really all that bad. If a 50-60 yard game is Justin's "bad" game, thats almost 1000 yards a 16 game season right there....then you add in his good and great games. 

What rookie WR has a game like Blackmon had vs Houston in 2012 with stinkin Chad Henne throwing him the rock???

Then look at how dominant he was against Denver....

He most certainly is a top level talent. Right up there with Julio Jones and AJ Green

Read the dam OP.  50-60 yards was not labeled as bad.  It was labeled as OK to decent for a starting WR in this league.

How about 10 targets for 4 catches and 31 yards?  Yes, that qualifies as bad.

Games like that is what I was talking about - and he had plenty of those.

Plus its even more than the stupid 40 times that are meaningless and other combine crap. 

Justin simply has "it" - whatever that "it" is that just makes you able to see the game at a higher level than just about everyone around you. 

Case in point - look at his first reception in his first game back - how he effortlessly found the hole in the defense 30 yards downfield got open and then managed to get all the way to the EZ after that point without being caught from behind. 

We've seen this on more than one occasion now too. Blackmon, for all the garbage about him allegedly not having the top speed others do, he doesn't get caught from behind much on the long catch and runs. 

Quote:Read the dam OP.  50-60 yards was not labeled as bad.  It was labeled as OK to decent for a starting WR in this league.

How about 10 targets for 4 catches and 31 yards?  Yes, that qualifies as bad.

Games like that is what I was talking about - and he had plenty of those.

He does NOT have "plenty" of 4 for 31 type games. He's had a few. 

Go look at Dez Bryant's career....he has more of those (or worse) on average than Blackmon. 

Quote: 

Case in point - look at his first reception in his first game back - how he effortlessly found the hole in the defense 30 yards downfield got open and then managed to get all the way to the EZ after that point without being caught from behind. 

It was a classic blown coverage, man....  I still give him credit for scoring, but let's not make that TD sound that extraordinary.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014, 09:23 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote:He does NOT have "plenty" of 4 for 31 type games. He's had a few. 

Go look at Dez Bryant's career....he has more of those (or worse) on average than Blackmon. 

he's had 8 or 9 out of the 20 games he's played.

In fact, games like that are 2-3 times more likely than the games that everyone on here seems to remember him for.  (texans, rams, broncos)

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say he's better than Green. I definitely dont think that.

If he started week 1 this year I'd put him a tier behind him. That said, he would have been a stud. He has everything you want in a WR on the field and plays bigger than he is. He had a very high ceiling, much like Josh Gordon. Just too bad neither one could keep it together off thr field.

Quote:It was a classic blown coverage, man....  I still give him credit for scoring, but let's not make that TD sound that extraordinary.

If its so common, then how come it doesn't seem to happen with most other WR?? I've seen busted coverage plays and they are usually straight fly patterns...this one vs the Rams, Justin found the hole in the D and took advantage. 

Quote:he's had 8 or 9 out of the 20 games he's played.

In fact, games like that are 2-3 times more likely than the games that everyone on here seems to remember him for.  (texans, rams, broncos)

Thats crap, 31 yard games? I doubt he's had 9 of them. 

Quote:If its so common, then how come it doesn't seem to happen with most other WR?? I've seen busted coverage plays and they are usually straight fly patterns...this one vs the Rams, Justin found the hole in the D and took advantage. 

Where did I say it's common?  Blown coverages like that don't happen that often.  Credit to Blackmon for taking advantage of it.

But let's not pretend he had some amazing TD that you would see Randy Moss make.

Quote:Thats crap, 31 yard games? I doubt he's had 9 of them. 
24 yards

0 yards

5 yards

40 yards

7 yards

32 yards

25 yards

9 yards

31 yards