Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gene Smith the Jaguars toughest opponent. Where is he now?

Quote:This is why we all owe Krayz_Jville_D an apology for his epic draft day Gene Smith rant.

The very least someone could do is give Krayz his 667 like. <a class="bbc_url" href='http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/user/11116-krayz-jville-d/'>http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/user/11116-krayz-jville-d/</a>

Anyone have a link to this rant? Does he still post? I haven't seen him in awhile, but admittedly do not pay too close attention.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, just think we probably disagree on 2009. I think the only real good value pick was Knighton. Sure Monroe was solid, but if you take a LT at #8 he better be damn near an all-pro. Cox, keep in mind we traded up to get and he's considered one of the worst CB's in all of football. 

Monroe was better than solid if you ask me. Cox was a bad trade, but I do think he was a solid player at first. He fell off the deep end with the team along with Knighton and Thomas, which I personally attribute to Gene not keeping the talent coming in. 

He was a good scout for the Jags during the Coughlin era but proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he didn't have what it takes to be a GM.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I'm thinking you've been on the board a lot longer than just this past January... :thumbsup:

+1, I like you. Smile

Quote:Anyone have a link to this rant? Does he still post? I haven't seen him in awhile, but admittedly do not pay too close attention.

I wish I did, and I hope one of the other posters kept a copy.

His Cox darft day post was TMD x 5 = 100% < (or is it>?) 0 times funnier ..... Funny.

The funniest jokes are the one's that have some truth to them.

The Ironic thing about all of this, is that everyone here actually thought about 4 years ago that Gene Smith was building us up to be Superbowl contenders by 2012. And the whole "In Gene We Trust" thing, was way, way, over the top...

Sadly, I too bought into that propaganda, but this time I won't be fooled by Shad Khan.

PS ... to the poster that gave Krayz his #667 Like ...  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

He had been stuck on 666 Likes for a while now.

Quote:I would have been happy to settle for quality starter, but he never found any of those either.

We learned a couple years ago Cecil Shorts is a quality starter with the right position coach. He was a concussion away from 1,000 yards in 2012.

Terrance Knighton is Denver's best defensive lineman, so he apparently also was a victim of bad coaching in his early years.

Quote:We learned a couple years ago Cecil Shorts is a quality starter with the right position coach. He was a concussion away from 1,000 yards in 2012.

Terrance Knighton is Denver's best defensive lineman, so he apparently also was a victim of bad coaching in his early years.

Knighton was the victim of his own diet.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Knighton was the victim of his own diet.
this.. Prior to that one year he was pretty good in jax.

Quote:Knighton was the victim of his own diet.

So it was only a coincidence that his worst season was 2012? I can't believe that because Mike Mularkey was our coach then.

He also was the victim of biased officiating. His best play as a Jaguar did not count because of a stupid RTP penalty.

Quote:So it was only a coincidence that his worst season was 2012? I can't believe that because Mike Mularkey was our coach then. He also went back to Del Rio in Denver which seemed to help him a lot.

He also was the victim of biased officiating. His best play as a Jaguar did not count because of a stupid RTP penalty.

At the time, I didn't think he was that bad.  I liked some of his picks.  Looking back though, he whiffed on almost every draft pick he had.  The best player he picked is now suspended and may not play football again, which is pretty sad.

Gene Smith's Drafting ...

2009 Draft - Gene's best draft which caused fan excitement at the time

1st Round - pick 8 - Eugene Monroe - LT - (now plays for Ravens) - good value pick probably his best draft selection of his career in Jacksonville.

2nd Round - pick 39 - Ebon Britton - RT (Bears) - Struggled at times and had series of injuries.

3rd Round - pick 72- Terrence Knighton - DT (pot Roast - plays for Broncos) -

- pick 73 - D. Cox - DB (plays for vikings)

4th Round - pick 107 - mike Thomas - WR - (plays for texans after lions cut him) - hyped up average backup player.

5th Roun- pick 144 - Jarrett Dilard - WR - (cardinals) injury bug and never panned out.

6th Round - Pick 180 - Zack Miller - TE (bears) good backup TE

7th Round - Pick 250 - R. Jennings - RB - (Went to Raiders and killed it) didnt run as well in Jax as he did in LA

- Pick 253 - T underwood WR -(panthers)

2010 1st round #10 pick DL Tyson Alualu Califorina, drafted to be a 3 tech DT (remains on roster) most felt a huge reach in the draft.

Noteable misses (J.P.P DE NY selected 15, MPouncey ProBowl C selected 18 by Steelers, 24 Dez Bryant Cowboys)

No 2nd round, 3rd round 74th pick DL D'Anthony Smith (plays for seattle), no 4th round, 5th round #143 Larry Hart DL (released one year later no team has picked him since), 153 DL Austen Lane (plays for Bears), round 6 #180 RB D. Karim (plays for texans), #203 Scotty McGee KR (waived a year later by Jaguars)

Only one guy from 2010 is on roster (mainly because his contract is so expensive Tyson Alualu)

2011 - 1st round - #10 overall (traded up) QB Blaine Gabbert (on 49ers) epic fail gene said this is the teams franchise qb but HE WILL NOT START but rather learn under David Garrard for at least a year or more.  He cuts DG before the start of the season and throws Blaine in the mix which he fails.

Suprise again no 2nd round pick.

3rd round - 76th pick Will Rackley Guard (plays for Ravens) was injured all the time.

4th round - 114th pick and probably the best pick under Gene Smith Cecil Shorts III - #121 DB Chris Prosinski

5th round - 147 Rod Issac DB (released a year later no longer plays in NFL) 

Only one guy from the 2011 roster remains on the team, Cecil Shorts III (but keep in mind how many WRs drafts & FAs that were picked by Dave so far)

I didnt even mention that this was one of the best 1st round drafts and only the teams that picked a QB turned up to be failures.

2012 draft - 1st round - pick #5 WR Justin Blackmon (has a series of off field incidents was picked up by the police prior to signing with the Jaguars they had the warning signs).

2nd round 38 overall Andre Branch DL, will most likely not be a jaguar before next season.

3rd round Punter Bryan Anger #70.  A good punter but critism for taking in the 3rd round when nick foles QB for the eagles was taken 18 picks later for example)

4th round - no picks

5th round - #142 Brandon Marshall OLB (released a year later)

6th Round - #176 -  Mike Harris DB - only 3rd florida state draftee by Jaguars - blocked a punt vs Titans

7th round 21st pick #228 DT Jeris Pendleton (released may 2013)

I cant believe we are still on this.  I think its time to move on

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:I cant believe we are still on this.  I think its time to move on

Agreed.  There are only a few players left from the Gene Smith era.  The team has moved on.  It's a shame some fans can't do the same.  They must dwell in the past instead of moving forward.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Agreed.  There are only a few players left from the Gene Smith era.  The team has moved on.  It's a shame some fans can't do the same.  They must dwell in the past instead of moving forward.

Can you imagine how it must be with ex-girlfriends?  Can you say restraining order...lol

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Gene Smith looked like a mad scientist football genius with his hair doo, gut, and attire.   Thus came about the phrase, "In Gene We Trust".

Quote:So it was only a coincidence that his worst season was 2012? I can't believe that because Mike Mularkey was our coach then.

What?!!

Quote:I would have been happy to settle for quality starter, but he never found any of those either.

Cecil Shorts says shut up.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Can you imagine how it must be with ex-girlfriends?  Can you say restraining order...lol

Considering the fact that a good portion of those on this board probably wouldn't know what a girlfriend was, yeah, I could see that happening.  :yes: Big Grin Wink

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]