Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who will be the Jaguars opening day QB
Henne
Bortles
[Show Results]

Opening day starter Bortles or Henne

Quote:If Bortles beats him out I don't see why he shouldn't start.

I agree, I just really think the learning curve that BB is facing will be too steep for him to have a firm grip on the system that early on.

Henne does know the offense to some degree despite his shortcomings and propensity to throw picks .

I think he'll probably shoulder the load for at least 10 weeks this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it'll be Henne, but I'm rooting for Bortles.

I don't see any real way for Bortles to win the job in the preseason anyway, so Henne will be my guess to start the season.

Henne will get almost all the snaps with the first team, and preseason games are preseason games, certainly not indicative of regular season rosters, so how is Bortles supposed to impress the coaches?

Unless Henne totally implodes or is injured he's got the job.

What I'm curious about is - what if the Jaguars are 1-5 and the natives are getting restless? Say Henne throws a couple of picks in games #7 and things are starting to get ugly? What does Bradley do? 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I don't see any real way for Bortles to win the job in the preseason anyway, so Henne will be my guess to start the season.

Henne will get almost all the snaps with the first team, and preseason games are preseason games, certainly not indicative of regular season rosters, so how is Bortles supposed to impress the coaches?

What I'm curious about is - what if the Jaguars are 1-5 and the natives are getting restless? Say Henne throws a couple of picks in games #7 and things are starting to get ugly? What does Bradley do?

Stephen morris

Quote:When did David Caldwell preach competition? All he said was Henne will start this year and Bortles will start next year - meaning there will be no competition.
Wow you don't pay attention.  Caldwell and Bradley having been preaching that every chance they get.  It was the whole theme last year. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I refuse to vote because there isn't an option for Stanzi

Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless
;

;

Quote:When did David Caldwell preach competition? All he said was Henne will start this year and Bortles will start next year - meaning there will be no competition.

When did Caldwell preach competition?????

Lol.
Shock the world

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 06:37 AM by ukjag34.)

As much as seeing henne in teal for another year makes me reach for the nearest beer can I think him starting is the right call

We put our shiny new QB behind a porous line with 4 new starters and 2 rookies at wideout and well we know the rest

Though I think bortles has the stones to slug it out and make the best of it as we don't have to why take the risk

Let henne bed in the line and receiver core and add bortles when he is fully ready

Even if Bortles is clearly better in camp...Henne will start.  That's the plan and they won't deviate for the first game.

Quote:Stephen morris
[Image: ewYs6mu.gif]

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

If he is ready to play, play the young man.  He seems to have the inner strength needed for the position.

If he crumbles due to early exposure, I would imagine he was never the answer.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM by InmanRoshi.)

Sitting and developing Bortles fundamentals is what is best for him and the team in the long term.   The focus should be on the next ten years, not this training camp or  Week 1.   The Jaguars aren't winning a Superbowl this year.     I don't care about being better than Henne today, I care about Bortles reaching 100% of his ceiling rather than 75% or 80% .    Until his footwork and mechanics are fixed, he'll always have limitations and inconsistency with his accuracy.   "Guts" don't have anything to do with it.  

I said it in another thread.  My perfect scenario would be for Henne to have one of those season where things just click and he brings this team to the playoffs or at least compete for playoffs while Bortles sits and waits learning from the sideline then come in next year and take over for Henne.

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

The debate of having a QB sit on the bench to get better is an interesting one which is hard to prove either way.

I don't understand the logic in having him sit on the bench when you drafted him #3 overall and your other QB has one of the lowest QB rating in the NFL among the starting QBs.  I mean it should be an open competition in which either QB could win the starting role based on performance in PreSeason in my opinion, but you dont draft a guy #3 overall (especially in this years talented draft) without having the confidence in the guy to start day one.  If Blake doesnt start this year, it makes me think that Dave & Gus knew he wasnt ready to play & if thats the case he was clearly a reach /need pick at #3.

I've warmed up to the idea of having Henne start and if Bortles is ready moving him in sometime during the season. Worse case we wait a year to play him, I'd prefer the 3rd pick be ready at some point this year however.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Sitting and developing Bortles fundamentals is what is best for him and the team in the long term.   The focus should be on the next ten years, not this training camp or  Week 1.   The Jaguars aren't winning a Superbowl this year.     I don't care about being better than Henne today, I care about Bortles reaching 100% of his ceiling rather than 75% or 80% .    Until his footwork and mechanics are fixed, he'll always have limitations and inconsistency with his accuracy.   "Guts" don't have anything to do with it.  
Spot On Again. He will understudy until ready.

Quote:I don't see any real way for Bortles to win the job in the preseason anyway, so Henne will be my guess to start the season.

The <i>person</i> is smart. <i>People</i> are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it!

Poor Metric to base a decision on and not something likely to happen given what we have been told.

With Chad's knowledge of the system and continious hard work combined with new weapons, we need to recognize that

this is a transition year. We could see Blake in limited action and probably will later.

Your injury modifier is a very real scenario, however we could call Bouman off the tractor :woot:

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:Maybe instead of acting like a total jackwagon, you should just skip over the questions you deem stupid. That way we don't have to listen to your whining about it.

Don't like it, don't participate.
That should be the default reply to all the condescending and insulting posts that end up on this board!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 10:23 AM by InmanRoshi.)

Quote:I don't understand the logic in having him sit on the bench when you drafted him #3 overall and your other QB has one of the lowest QB rating in the NFL among the starting QBs. 

Because it's not about 2014.   The Jaguars aren't winning a Superbowl with Bortles or Henne in 2014. . 

Bortles isn't Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.   He didn't grow up with a former NFL QB for a dad who taught him flawless mechanics since he was old enough to hold a football, and then go on to play 3-4 years in a pro style offense in college to prepare for the NFL.    He played in a single wing option offense T in high school and then went on to play a few years in a in a single read college offense heavy on the option and then declared early.    He's got a TON of learning to do just in basic footwork and mechanics, without heaping on all the responsibility learning the offense, opponent gameplanning every week and the simple matter of trying to lead the team to wins.   The reason you drafted him #3 is that he would have been the #1 pick in next year's draft, and the fact that once these mechanical issues are addressed you might have an Andrew Luck caliber player.  

Further, having a QB in Henne who already knows all the offensive assignments and can fluidly run the offense helps in the development of Joekel, Lee, Saunders, Robinson, etc.    They have enough on their plate with their own learning curve without having to worry if the QB knows what his progression reads and assignments are on top of that.    In the final 6 games combined, once Henne got more familiar with playing in Fisch's offense, he had ~85 QB Rating.  That's with virtually no running game and no real receiving threat other than Shorts, particularly outside the hashmarks.   He's not someone you hang your hat on as a franchise, but he's someone who can run the offensive effectively and efficiently enough that he can string together drives and he won't hold back the progress of all the other young offensive players singlehandedly.   It's hard for those offensve players to get their game reps in when they are going 3 and out every drive.  

Quote:Because it's not about 2014.   The Jaguars aren't winning a Superbowl with Bortles or Henne in 2014. . 

Exactly! More than likely we won't even sniff the playoffs this year. The goal of sitting Bortles is so he can be a better QB when he's ready, rather than a trial by fire, or being thrown to the wolves...We can take this year to let the OL get better, new receivers get accustomed to the new scheme and speed of the game, while Bortles is working on whatever the coaches want to to work on (mechanics, technique, accuracy etc), so when it's time for Bortles to start, we should have a pretty good crew to work with and be competitive and make a solid push towards the playoffs.

Quote:Because it's not about 2014.   The Jaguars aren't winning a Superbowl with Bortles or Henne in 2014. . 

Bortles isn't Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.   He didn't grow up with a former NFL QB for a dad who taught him flawless mechanics since he was old enough to hold a football, and then go on to play 3-4 years in a pro style offense in college to prepare for the NFL.    He played in a single wing option offense T in high school and then went on to play a few years in a in a single read college offense heavy on the option and then declared early.    He's got a TON of learning to do just in basic footwork and mechanics, without heaping on all the responsibility learning the offense, opponent gameplanning every week and the simple matter of trying to lead the team to wins.   The reason you drafted him #3 is that he would have been the #1 pick in next year's draft, and the fact that once these mechanical issues are addressed you might have an Andrew Luck caliber player.  

Further, having a QB in Henne who already knows all the offensive assignments and can fluidly run the offense helps in the development of Joekel, Lee, Saunders, Robinson, etc.    They have enough on their plate with their own learning curve without having to worry if the QB knows what his progression reads and assignments are on top of that.    In the final 6 games combined, once Henne got more familiar with playing in Fisch's offense, he had ~85 QB Rating.  That's with virtually no running game and no real receiving threat other than Shorts, particularly outside the hashmarks.   He's not someone you hang your hat on as a franchise, but he's someone who can run the offensive effectively and efficiently enough that he can string together drives and he won't hold back the progress of all the other young offensive players singlehandedly.   It's hard for those offensve players to get their game reps in when they are going 3 and out every drive.  
Majority of the 85 qb rating was garbage time.  Henne only has 2 throws, the backshoulder and the intermediate seam/post pattern.  He calls a lot ot time outs as the play clock is running down and he makes bone head ints right to the defender.