Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's put the arm strength debate on Blake Bortles to rest.

Quote:To me its more like andrew luck with the upside of big ben

To me they are similar. All of them (I hope).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

After that video, I'm more concerned about the deep ball accuracy than arm strength. When's the last time we had a quarterback that excelled at the deep ball? 

Quote:After that video, I'm more concerned about the deep ball accuracy than arm strength. When's the last time we had a quarterback that excelled at the deep ball?

And yet the vast majority of the throws he will be required to make as an NFL quarterback will be less than 30 yards. Most deep balls are throw and hope... Not all, but most are.
Signature goes here.

I agree with some of the others who think his passes seem to not get there as quickly as you'd like. I have been watching tape back to back of Luck and Bortles because physically I think they are very similar. Lucks passes definitely have more zip(arm strength) but I think they are a lot closer in talent than most think. A lot of it will come down to the mental game and probably (no pun) some luck involved if who has the better career.

Not saying Bortles is the new Luck lol but I think they are pretty similar.

Quote:I agree with some of the others who think his passes seem to not get there as quickly as you'd like. I have been watching tape back to back of Luck and Bortles because physically I think they are very similar. Lucks passes definitely have more zip(arm strength) but I think they are a lot closer in talent than most think. A lot of it will come down to the mental game and probably (no pun) some luck involved if who has the better career.

Not saying Bortles is the new Luck lol but I think they are pretty similar.

I think they are very similar in style but I'd say Bortles has more potential upside as he's more athletic.  

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:And yet the vast majority of the throws he will be required to make as an NFL quarterback will be less than 30 yards. Most deep balls are throw and hope... Not all, but most are.

Obviously, but it would be nice if our quarterback could hit the home run every now and again. Both Garrard and Gabbert overthrew every deep ball. 

Quote:I think they are very similar in style but I'd say Bortles has more potential upside as he's more athletic.
have you watched Luck? He has great athleticism for his size.

Quote:I think they are very similar in style but I'd say Bortles has more potential upside as he's more athletic.  

Bortles isn't more athletic than Luck.  :mellow:

Quote:Bortles isn't more athletic than Luck.  :mellow:

Oh yes he is.  There is very little doubt.  Luck is a little stronger, but he's not nearly as athletic.  Bortles used to play linebacker for crying out loud.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Oh yes he is. There is very little doubt. Luck is a little stronger, but he's not nearly as athletic. Bortles used to play linebacker for crying out loud.
I'd say at very least there even. Luck is really athletic.

I think Bortles can be just as good if not better than Luck, mainly because Luck isn't that great.

Quote:I think Bortles can be just as good if not better than Luck, mainly because Luck isn't that great.
he's a top 10 QB heading towards top 5.

Quote:Oh yes he is.  There is very little doubt.  Luck is a little stronger, but he's not nearly as athletic.  Bortles used to play linebacker for crying out loud.

Combine isn't everything, but here they are compared:

40 yd dash: Luck 4.67, Bortles 4.93

Vertical: Luck 36", Bortles 32.5"

Broad Jump: Luck 124", Bortles 115"

3 Cone Drill: Luck 6.8s, Bortles 7.08s

20 yd shuttle: Luck 4.28s, Bortles 4.21s

The only thing Bortles wins in is the 20 yd shuttle. 

I care less for how athletic Bortles is and more about whether he can feel the rush and move deftly in and out of the pocket, all the while keeping his eyes down the field.

You know. Not Gabbert.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Combine isn't everything, but here they are compared:

Luck is more athletic and you can see that on the field. Bortles is more like Roethlisberger which there is nothing wrong with.

Quote:Luck is more athletic and you can see that on the field. Bortles is more like Roethlisberger which there is nothing wrong with.

Exactly.

Quote:I care less for how athletic Bortles is and more about whether he can feel the rush and move deftly in and out of the pocket, all the while keeping his eyes down the field.

You know. Not Gabbert.
all of which it looks like he can be.

Quote:Combine isn't everything, but here they are compared:

Buzzkill.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Now all this athleticism talk has me looking at old combine stats. How did Gabbert run a 4.62? Laughing

Quote:Now all this athleticism talk has me looking at old combine stats. How did Gabbert run a 4.62? Laughing

He's not a slow kid and was never bad as a prospect. JDR and Co. just did about everything wrong as far as his development and he was never able to settle in an offensive scheme, which is obviously a formula for disaster.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.