Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Its Official, the Jags draft is done. Give our Front Office a hand! Best Jags draft (at this point) in team history

Agree that the round 6 pick was likely a miss.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Hey, I've maintained forever, when this team gives me a reason to be positive I'll have no problem showing it in my posting. 

I think you don't understand how LONG its been since I've really had reason to be this positive about this team. 

But anyway, lets keep this about the people who deserve the props!!! Great job Jags!!!!!

I'd say a fairly large portion of us know exactly how long it's been because we've all suffered through the same things. You just happen to be more pessimistic about things.

I've gotta admit, it's nice to see you being positive for once. I'm cautiously optimistic about it lasting though, haha.

What I like about this draft is that -- yeah, we went offense early.  Not much on Defense until late -- but when we did go Defense, we got guys who could have gone earlier and nobody would have complained.  (Well mostly nobody).  So it's almost like we had two drafts.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Hey, I've maintained forever, when this team gives me a reason to be positive I'll have no problem showing it in my posting. 

I think you don't understand how LONG its been since I've really had reason to be this positive about this team. 

But anyway, lets keep this about the people who deserve the props!!! Great job Jags!!!!!

Well played.

I don't think any of our prior drafts have been so overwhelmingly applauded on the board by even the most persistent critics.

Those who bash this draft barely even register on the board.

This transcends mere board homerism.

Caldwell nailed it, and there is still udfa.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:way things are going larsen may get picked up as a udfa

unlikey but he hasn't gone yet.

on face value I am very happy with this draft but this draft will be remembered on how bortles does

fingers crossed and for now I'm just enjoying the buzz i got off storm johnson in the 7th

the guy stood out everytime I watched him

Obviously the players have to pan out.....I'm just talking about the first part of the process - which is the selections themselves. Outstanding!

I obviously believe they will pan out though, too. As long as good health sustains. 

Quote:I liked last year's draft, but this year's is definitely pretty good.  Better than any of Gene's drafts that's for sure.

Last years wasn't bad, but this years was fantastic. 

Quote:I'd say a fairly large portion of us know exactly how long it's been because we've all suffered through the same things. You just happen to be more pessimistic about things.

I've gotta admit, it's nice to see you being positive for once. I'm cautiously optimistic about it lasting though, haha.

I'm more reactionary when it comes to the negative things. 

Quote:Well played.

I don't think any of our prior drafts have been so overwhelmingly applauded on the board by even the most persistent critics.

Those who bash this draft barely even register on the board.

This transcends mere board homerism.

Caldwell nailed it, and there is still udfa.

Yep, I agree. 

It was simply a very "well played" draft. 

Makes me a helluva lot more confident of the people we have in charge right about now. 

This was a very important draft. Not only was it deep, but it was Caldwell's 2nd. We are starting to see DC's plan reveal itself. Last year was a good draft for us, although it was an overall weak draft.
No commercial messages in sigs

Does anyone think Telvin Smith would be a monster at FS?

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Just in dissecting....

The syncopation was perfect. In a draft that had the best WR crop in recent memory, we get 2 of the best, which also coincided with getting the future franchise QB....

Then, as some stated above - we then go defense in the 2nd half, and grab defensive players that were graded out MUCH higher than where we drafted and will likely be impact starters. 

Top it off with A very solid Guard and RB.....and who knows, maybe even Bowanko will surprise....

Its damn near flawless. 

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM by Voltage-.)

I give it a B+ just because in my impatient eyes, at least two of our top five picks probably won't contribute this year. Overall though, it was a very good draft. I'm excited for the season. 

Quote:Nice job guys!!!

That was beautiful. It was reminiscent of the sort of quality drafts that Jimmy Johnson and Buddy Ryan had in the late 80's early 1990's. 

Only one pick that I disagree with and thought was bad value and that was the Center, I thought Tyler Larsen would have made more sense and better value for the position. But when we are talking only one pick that I question out of 9....we can sweep that one under the rug. 

This Jags draft is loaded with value picks, as well as chocked full of players that I believe will be impact starters, not just role guys.  

Here's the recap:

1. QB Blake Bortles

2. WR Marqise Lee

2. WR Allen Robinson

3. OG Brandon Linder

4. CB Aaron Colvin

5. LB Telvin Smith

5. DE Chris Smith

6. C Luke Bowanko

7. RB Storm Johnson 

My grade: A+

100% agree!

this is the best draft I have ever seen us have... now obviously these picks have to pan out, but my goodness, every pick we took had a projected round 1 or 2 spots higher..

every player we drafted has the ability to start at some point

LONG GONE ARE THE DAYS where we draft punters high in the 3rd and special teams players in the 5th

its an absolute joke that a guy like gene smith was allowed to be an NFL GM

this is how you draft right here..

best draft on paper in Jaguars history

I like this TMD.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I give it a B+ just because in my impatient eyes, at least two of our top 5 picks probably won't contribute this year. Overall, though, it was a very good draft. Excited for the season. Big Grin

But the draft isn't for "next year". It never should be. The draft should always be about the "future" Period. Granted, sometimes you will luck out and get an immediate star....but thats the exception rather than the rule. 

You need to look at the big picture here when evaluating this draft. It gives a great chance to set us up for not just success but sustained success. 

(I know you are on board) just felt that point needed to be addressed as I know theres others that do rate drafts based on "next year", i.e. microwave mentality. 

Quote:Just in dissecting....

The syncopation was perfect. In a draft that had the best WR crop in recent memory, we get 2 of the best, which also coincided with getting the future franchise QB....

Then, as some stated above - we then go defense in the 2nd half, and grab defensive players that were graded out MUCH higher than where we drafted and will likely be impact starters. 

Top it off with A very solid Guard and RB.....and who knows, maybe even Bowanko will surprise....

Its damn near flawless.

One indication I know it was a good draft...and far from scientific...

There were very few times in this draft I wound up cussing because a guy I wanted came off the board ahead of us. There was only one of our picks I have any doubt about...and that is Bowanko.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I'm not so sure that the center picked wasn't a good choice. Gus and coaches had a real good look at him during the Senior Bowl. Anyway, congrats to all on the Jaguars staff who made this the best Jaguars draft ever. Go Jags!

I couldn't have mock'd a better draft.

Quote:Does anyone think Telvin Smith would be a monster at FS?

SS maybe, but he's already proven as a LB.

The NFL is a passing league. Speed is more important at LB than size these days.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Obviously the players have to pan out.....I'm just talking about the first part of the process - which is the selections themselves. Outstanding!

I obviously believe they will pan out though, too. As long as good health sustains. 

pinky swear I wasn't having a go, in fact your responses throughout this draft have made me a bit more respectful of your past opinions,not that you care in the slightest, just more kudos and apologies

i can just see what has been a fantastic draft through all rounds being spoilt even if we hit on 6 of 7 if we miss on the bortles pick

I'm as giddy as the next guy about everything and personally extremely impressed by the allen robinson film I've been watching, his body control is excellent

what most excites me is I can see the frame work of a very talented roster appearing, it's incredibly exciting

good night to be a jags fan

Quote:I couldn't have mock'd a better draft.

I admit this destroys my Jags mock draft that I made a few days ago. 

Quote:pinky swear I wasn't having a go, in fact your responses throughout this draft have made me a bit more respectful of your past opinions,not that you care in the slightest, just more kudos and apologies

i can just see what has been a fantastic draft through all rounds being spoilt even if we hit on 6 of 7 if we miss on the bortles pick

I'm as giddy as the next guy about everything and personally extremely impressed by the allen robinson film I've been watching, his body control is excellent

what most excites me is I can see the frame work of a very talented roster appearing, it's incredibly exciting

good night to be a jags fan

Yep....like seeing the foundation of a house being built, although in this case, we're talking the foundation of a luxury mansion B)