Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question for the board

Quote:IMO...

Bortles was a slight reach, but he was Dave's highest rated QB who may not have been there later.

Lee was a great value in the second round.

Robinson was a good value later in the second round.

Linder was a slight reach for me in the third round, but there was a run on starting capable guards.

Man I kept watching Oline guys flying off the board in the 2nd and 3rd and was like "what the hell.."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was hoping for a receiver in the second round. Never expected too but glad we did. Don't know much about Linder but talked to a friend that is a Miami fan and he likes the pick. Mayock liked it too.

Very solid draft imo. if only we could get blackmon back we could have one of the best wr groups in the league. couldn't imagine that 5 years ago. i believe bortles should at least be a solid qb and he could be great we can only hope A+ draft for me

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Quote:Trading up for Robinson in a deep wr class draft was suspect.IMO....  Wasn't  Donte Moncrief still on the board?

Moncrief went about a round later (pick 26 Rd 3, vs pick 29 Rd 2.)

It's possible that...

Robinson was "their guy."

Despite all the late buzz, in the end Moncrief wasn't rated as highly on boards as the guys at the top of the second tier.

Could be one of those two things, or perhaps even both.

I get the feeling from who they've selected and how they talk about their picks, the have gotten "their guys" so far.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Trading up for Robinson in a deep wr class draft was suspect.IMO....  Wasn't  Donte Moncrief still on the board?

Quote:Moncrief went about a round later (pick 26 Rd 3, vs pick 29 Rd 2.)

It's possible that...

Robinson was "their guy."

Despite all the late buzz, in the end Moncrief wasn't rated as highly on boards as the guys at the top of the second tier.

Could be one of those two things, or perhaps even both.

I get the feeling from who they've selected and how they talk about their picks, the have gotten "their guys" so far.

I'm guessing it has something to do with YAC yards. 

Its clear that WR with YAC ability is an important attribute that our coaches want from our WR's as evidenced from the players we have targeted at that position by this regime. 

Robinson is better with YAC than Moncrief, and might prove out to be just as good in other area, we'll see. Robinson has similar height as Moncrief, actually is taller, IIRC. 

Moncrief is quality, no doubt, but I'd agree with pirk that this is "our" guy. They felt Robinson was the better fit. 

Also, not that its a huge deal, but Robinson was easily the more productive WR the past 2 years. Moncrief never even had one 1000 yard season in college, Robinson had 2, one being a 1400 yarder. 

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM by Bullseye.)

I don't think it was suspect at all.

Based upon what I've seen of the various draft sites, etc., Robinson had a higher grade than Moncrief.

For instance...

According to NFLdraft scout's Rob Rang per Lindy's Draft preview, for instance, Allen Robinson carried a 7.1 grade projected to be in the first or second round.

Meanwhile, Moncrief carried a 6.5 grade and was a 3rd to 4th round projection.

USA Today's draft publication had Robinson as a 2nd-3rd round pick, while Moncrief was a 3rd to 4th round pick.

Secondly, they traded just ahead of New England, who arguably needed WR help.

Furthermore, what they gave up to get there-a 5th round pick, wasn't cost prohibitive at all.  In fact, you can make the argument you accumulate those later picks to give yourself ammo with which to move.  As it stands now, the team still has something like 8-9 picks left.  It's not like we're Cleveland with only two picks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 10:56 AM by HeadSlap.)

IMO, this Darft is a classic example why every analyst is that. A SWAG.

Analysts come up with their picks and then like schooling fish, go this way and that way based on the slightest current change (rumor) or should a predator (Mayock, PFT,PFF,etc) wander close by. There are those Pro Analysist that stick pretty close. You know the type's I am taling about.

1.        Obviously Blake had a "Clean" sheet and several of Caldwell's peers agree. BOOM. You are always quiet when stalkng Prey.

2&3.    So you can get 2 of your top 6 rated wide outs!  BOOM. They were so close it's like getting two ducks with one shot.

4.         Big Uglies flying off the board as they do and the Big Guy with 'Tude" you want is there.  BOOM. More NASTY!!!

I do not feel like any of these picks were a stretch.

They were the players that the Jags had on their board in February and solidified by March while the wannabee's were schooling.

Go JAGS.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:Yes. 

As much as I was skeptical about the Bortles pick initially, grabbing your franchise QB in the first round, when he was expected to be a first rounder, is never bad value. 

Lee was graded out as the 19th best player by one site that I saw, and was pretty much received a first round grade by most. Its all about the knee that will make or break this pick. 

Allen Robinson was pretty much drafted close to where he was expected to go, and I would have MUCH rather the Jags drafted him, than a player like Landry who might have been rated a little bit higher, but Robinson is a better fit for what WE needed at the time of the selection. 

Linder is probably the only player that some could consider a "reach" but IMO, not really. Apparently coaches graded this guy to be a better player than where he seemed to be mocked by many of these fan mock draft sites. Also, by the time you get to that point of the draft - you just go get YOUR players - taking a player a little bit above where they might be perceived to go isn't really a big deal at that point, especially when you're talking about players that project into your starting 22. 

I flat out love this draft so far!

Might be my most favorite Jags draft ever. 

Wow!

And they got this from you without trading down...and trading up twice to boot!

Krayz even likes this draft.

Value was genes thing i just want to get impact players I'm over if the value is right. If Bortles really is the best QB in the draft it doesn't matter if we get him at 3 or 7 just make sure we get him.

We've traded up twice tells me David cares more about filling needs then finding value which makes sense he's a needs drafter just means we have to hit on our selections.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 11:05 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Wow!

As said before in another thread...Its amazing how it all just hit me when the Robinson pick was made, the entire draft all of a sudden was clearly exhibiting cohesion; a plan. In reality it was there the whole time, Caldwell obviously knew what he was doing, but I couldn't see it till then. I was like the guy that hits himself in the head saying "I coulda had a V-8"!!! lol. 

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 11:05 AM by HeadSlap.)

Quote:Wow!

It is the first time in a long time that we have seen a methodical, well thought out plan to build this team back to where a consistent winner exists. The wild [BLEEP] stretch's in the past and questionable first round choices are gone.

Nice to have Pro's at work and this board is smart enough (well most of them :whistling: ) including those posting here recognize it.

Daddy Dave, Daddy Gus whatcha gonna bring me today???? Huh whatcha gonna do??

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

I think this was great value and filled big team needs with all four picks.  This is a draft that will pay off heavily down the road if all things work out.  Linder impressed me for a 3rd rounder on what I've watched on him since the pick.  I need to look more into him though.

My favorite pick thus far? Outside of the obvious in Bortles, my favorite pick based on value is Allen Robinson.  I loved that pick and I got even more excited when I saw something about Sullivan being high on him as well. 

Quote:As said before in another thread...Its amazing how it all just hit me when the Robinson pick was made, the entire draft all of a sudden was clearly exhibiting cohesion; a plan. In reality it was there the whole time, Caldwell obviously knew what he was doing, but I couldn't see it till then. I was like the guy that hits himself in the head saying "I coulda had a V-8"!!! lol. 

Doesn't it feel good to see it develop like that?  To see that the front office has a clear direction on where they want to go and they're doing what they need to do in order to execute it?  Whether it works or not is a different discussion but I am encouraged by the way that Caldwell and Gus are going about this.  I appreciate them having a plan on how they want this team to look and taking the guys they see that fit their plan. 

Quote:Value was genes thing i just want to get impact players I'm over if the value is right. If Bortles really is the best QB in the draft it doesn't matter if we get him at 3 or 7 just make sure we get him.

We've traded up twice tells me David cares more about filling needs then finding value which makes sense he's a needs drafter just means we have to hit on our selections.

^This I agree with.  Dave is a modified needs drafter, best available player at a position of need. He's done that so far and he did that last year for the most part.  It is't that simple of course, they seem to take the best guy, that fits a need, that fits into their system or 'plan' of how they want to do things.  

Quote:As said before in another thread...Its amazing how it all just hit me when the Robinson pick was made, the entire draft all of a sudden was clearly exhibiting cohesion; a plan. In reality it was there the whole time, Caldwell obviously knew what he was doing, but I couldn't see it till then. I was like the guy that hits himself in the head saying "I coulda had a V-8"!!! lol. 

I think we hit on all of these selections thus far.

If it's true...and the day two picks become immediate starters/immediate impact players...man oh man.

Granted this should be the case given our draft positions, but I think Jacksonville and Houston helped themselves the most in this draft in this division.

If the day 2 picks have the impact we think they can, we could possibly pass Tennessee this year.  While the Colts have Luck, I don't think they helped themselves too much, though Moncrief can be a good player for them.

Lee's knee injury did not require surgery.  He stated the doctors told him that it just needed rest, something he couldn't do during the season.  He says he's back 100% and he's also received a clean bill of health.  I think the injury is a non-issue. 

Quote:Doesn't it feel good to see it develop like that?  To see that the front office has a clear direction on where they want to go and they're doing what they need to do in order to execute it?  Whether it works or not is a different discussion but I am encouraged by the way that Caldwell and Gus are going about this.  I appreciate them having a plan on how they want this team to look and taking the guys they see that fit their plan. 

Yeah, its clear that these guys are no amateurs. 

This is the best our front office has been since the Coughlin days. (disclaimer: Yes I know TC wasn't perfect, but he also had to be doing something right, lets not act as if success wasn't there). 

Quote:I think we hit on all of these selections thus far.

If it's true...and the day two picks become immediate starters/immediate impact players...man oh man.

Granted this should be the case given our draft positions, but I think Jacksonville and Houston helped themselves the most in this draft in this division.

If the day 2 picks have the impact we think they can, we could possibly pass Tennessee this year.  While the Colts have Luck, I don't think they helped themselves too much, though Moncrief can be a good player for them.

Yeah, the Colts have improved upon a strength, (passing game with Luck) but they really didn't seem to do much of impact anywhere else yet. Granted they had no 1st rounder, but still... 

Quote:Lee's knee injury did not require surgery.  He stated the doctors told him that it just needed rest, something he couldn't do during the season.  He says he's back 100% and he's also received a clean bill of health.  I think the injury is a non-issue. 

I hope we don't push him in mini camps and just let him rest even more until training camp. Make sure that knee is TOTALLY 100% first. 

I think some of him claiming its 100% right now could be embellishment. 

If Lee can get totally healthy. He's a stud. 

Quote:I hope we don't push him in mini camps and just let him rest even more until training camp. Make sure that knee is TOTALLY 100% first. 

I think some of him claiming its 100% right now could be embellishment. 

If Lee can get totally healthy. He's a stud. 

I'm sure our trainers will be all over it.