Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Would you start Blake Bortles straight away?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

Start Blake Bortles?

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 11:18 AM by wrong_box.)

Quote:The confidence in this pick may be worthwhile in a couple of years,
This is what the draft is all about..It's not about RIGHT NOW, it's for the future. Caldwell has said numerous times that no matter what QB we got, he more than likely would sit for a year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wouldn't be surprised if he started in the opener. And I'd understand if we sat him.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM by tbone586.)

Taking the time to develop a QB before throwing him to the wolves is the right approach. Financial -and fan - pressures prevent most teams from doing it. And with free agency, unlike years ago, it's tough to pay out big bucks to keep a player on the sidelines, only to lose him to another team a few years later once he's a finished product. 

But this is the right way to develop a young QB, and hats off to Jags management and staff to be willing to go this route.  It certainly paid dividends for a guy like Aaron Rodgers. Remember, there are very few QB's who can come out of college (e.g. Luck, P Manning), step in from day 1 and be effective in the NFL. 

I'd also like to see our O-Line secure before putting Bortles out there. 

Quote:This is what the draft is all about..It's not about RIGHT NOW, it's for the future. Caldwell has said numerous times that no matter what QB we got, he more than likely would sit for a year
Wrong answer.

You do NOT draft a quarterback at three and not make him your immediate starter.

A quarterback at three is the elite, franchise quarterback. There are no flaws whatsoever in his game. He plays quarterback at college on the level of an experienced NFL veteran. At the college level, he already possesses all of the elite talent at the quarterback position. He is advanced in all of the NFL plays. He has in-depth understanding of each defensive coordinator in the NFL and the type of defense they employ.

When selected he immediately makes ANY team he goes to instant Super Bowl contenders regardless of other personnel.

Bortles is this, or he is a bust.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:Wrong answer.

You do NOT draft a quarterback at three and not make him your immediate starter.

A quarterback at three is the elite, franchise quarterback. There are no flaws whatsoever in his game. He plays quarterback at college on the level of an experienced NFL veteran. At the college level, he already possesses all of the elite talent at the quarterback position. He is advanced in all of the NFL plays. He has in-depth understanding of each defensive coordinator in the NFL and the type of defense they employ.

When selected he immediately makes ANY team he goes to instant Super Bowl contenders regardless of other personnel.

you really wanna throw him out there with unknowns at RB, WR, C, G? Just because he was picked at 3 dosent mean he's gonna start right away.

Have a fair open competition. It is the best way.

Quote:They won't start him unless he's ready. I seriously doubt they'll rush him in there. This team is more than likely not a playoff team yet anyway, and wasn't going to be regardless of who they drafted. So rushing him in there would accomplish nothing.

But of course that's mu opinion and it's as useless as everyone else's.
 Agreed, I doubt he starts unless he drastically outplays Henne. And I'm fine with that. Give him the year to learn, if he shows half way through he's ready give him a go. But once we go to him we can't flip back to Henne. That's the biggest thing..

Quote:Wrong answer.

Where is this a written rule? It's Kahn's money, if he's fine with paying him all that money to sit and learn, then what's the problem? Give a guy a year to hone his craft, and he will be better when it's his time to start. Henne stinks I get it, I get the fact that we all want to win and win now, but as Caldwell and Kahn have painstakingly explained a bazillion times, this is a process and there is no quick fix...Caldwell is still building a foundation to the "house" and you are trying to move in already...

Oh yeah... I would start him in all 4 preseason games. Henne doesn't need to start in the pre-season. It's not going to make him any better.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I personally believe a QB should be able to fix his problems while also getting game reps. Although I understand the view point that they want to break bad habits and create good ones before he is under the line of fire. 

Quote:Where is this a written rule? It's Kahn's money, if he's fine with paying him all that money to sit and learn, then what's the problem? Give a guy a year to hone his craft, and he will be better when it's his time to start. Henne stinks I get it, I get the fact that we all want to win and win now, but as Caldwell and Kahn have painstakingly explained a bazillion times, this is a process and there is no quick fix...Caldwell is still building a foundation to the "house" and you are trying to move in already...

You've gotta let the foundation cure. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I personally believe a QB should be able to fix his problems while also getting game reps. Although I understand the view point that they want to break bad habits and create good ones before he is under the line of fire. 
That's not bad idealism either. I think what they Jags want is for Bortles to concentrate on nothing but learning better techniques, nfl speed, and whatever else they feel he is lacking in before he starts. I would expect to see some of Bortles throughout the season, and towards the end of the season see much more of him...I don't think he will ride the pine all season, I think they will slowly sprinkle him in for some playing time, and then begin the passing of the torch later in the season with Bortles playing more

I'm a major advocate for starting QBs asap, but in this case, let him watch the game for a while. 

Quote:you really wanna throw him out there with unknowns at RB, WR, C, G? Just because he was picked at 3 dosent mean he's gonna start right away.

Thats the thing. We have some many question marks on offense right now, I expect most to be filled through the draft. But you want to make sure your not throwing him out there to die. Need to have pieces around him and make him comfortable back there. There is no reason to rush it, with Bortles or without, we likely aren't a playoff team this year unless we get some rookies that make a big impact.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 12:51 PM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:you really wanna throw him out there with unknowns at RB, WR, C, G? Just because he was picked at 3 dosent mean he's gonna start right away.
What's the problem?

We pass on elite talent like Jake Matthews for a mental weakling? 

Well, we now have our nickname for Bortles.

Blake the Fake!

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote:What's the problem?

We pass on elite talent like Jake Matthews for a mental weakling? 

Well, we now have our nickname for Bortles.

Blake the Fake!

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

You really are a piece of work...

Its definitely Bortles decision to sit...

Quote:That's not bad idealism either. I think what they Jags want is for Bortles to concentrate on nothing but learning better techniques, nfl speed, and whatever else they feel he is lacking in before he starts. I would expect to see some of Bortles throughout the season, and towards the end of the season see much more of him...I don't think he will ride the pine all season, I think they will slowly sprinkle him in for some playing time, and then begin the passing of the torch later in the season with Bortles playing more
WUT?

You mean to tell me that we just totally wasted the number three pick in the draft on a guy that doesn't have all of the NFL quarterback qualities absolutely expected of him right away?

You do NOT draft a quarterback at number three to develop him.

The talent doesn't match the pick value, find another player that does.

Caldwell has just diluted the value of pick three.

What a terrible job of assets management.

This calls for David Caldwell's resignation. Bradley, too.

Quote:You really are a piece of work...

Its definitely Bortles decision to sit...
You know nothing about football.

Quote:WUT?

You mean to tell me that we just totally wasted the number three pick in the draft on a guy that doesn't have all of the NFL quarterback qualities absolutely expected of him right away?

You do NOT draft a quarterback at number three to develop him.

The talent doesn't match the pick value, find another player that does.

Caldwell has just diluted the value of pick three.

What a terrible job of assets management.

This calls for David Caldwell's resignation. Bradley, too.

what would Bradley have to do with the quality or value of a selection? careful the inner troll is showing..........

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I'm a major advocate for starting QBs asap, but in this case, let him watch the game for a while. 
If he doesn't start right away, he'll be in his mom and dad's living room on Sundays watching all the football he wants!

I can carry a clipboard. Pay me, Mr. Khan.