Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Caldwell was our GM before Gene Smith?

I am still just amazed by the absolutely awful job GS did as GM. He took the Jags and made them worse every year he was GM.

And somehow he was given a 3 yr extension by WW before he sold the team to SK.

Just baffling any way you look at it.

There's just no way that DC won't do a better job as GM then GS. None.

I still believe that several of the more knowledgeable posters in here could have done a better job then GS. It sure would have been hard to do any worse, that's for sure.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The Jaguars roster was left with very little talent for Dave Caldwell to work with because of the constant misses that Gene Smith and the Jaguars took in the Draft and FA. He is giving new life to a struggling organization here in Jacksonville. Just imagine if Dave Caldwell became our GM in 2009 before Gene Smith took the job just think how much better of a team would we be with his mindset in place.

I don't believe that Caldwell was ready to be a GM in 2009. The additional four years has prepared him for Much More success than if he were to have that responsibility in 2009...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I am still just amazed by the absolutely awful job GS did as GM. He took the Jags and made them worse every year he was GM.

And somehow he was given a 3 yr extension by WW before he sold the team to SK.

Just baffling any way you look at it.

There's just no way that DC won't do a better job as GM then GS. None.

I still believe that several of the more knowledgeable posters in here could have done a better job then GS. It sure would have been hard to do any worse, that's for sure.

I was one of those that preached "In Gene I Trust" but I do recognize that Caldwell is making better decisions than GM Gene.

But Why?

Gene had an directive within his latter years that came directly from Mr. Weaver. "Don't spend my money because I'm selling the team and I don't want the potential buyer to inherit a Salary Cap Strapped team". Mr. Weaver set up Mr. Khan to be able to put his stamp on the team because of this... I remember Mr. Weaver saying this but in different words...

As for GM Gene, the fact that he hasn't landed another position within the NFL speaks for itself...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I was one of those that preached "In Gene I Trust" but I do recognize that Caldwell is making better decisions than GM Gene.

But Why?

Gene had an directive within his latter years that came directly from Mr. Weaver. "Don't spend my money because I'm selling the team and I don't want the potential buyer to inherit a Salary Cap Strapped team". Mr. Weaver set up Mr. Khan to be able to put his stamp on the team because of this... I remember Mr. Weaver saying this but in different words...

As for GM Gene, the fact that he hasn't landed another position within the NFL speaks for itself...

NH3...
I know that was a narrative that was thrown out but spending 90 million on 3 defensive free agents in 2011 begs to differ

There is no way Dave would have been hired at the time Gene was. He was too green and no owner in their right mind would have hired Dave at that time.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Quote:I was one of those that preached "In Gene I Trust" but I do recognize that Caldwell is making better decisions than GM Gene.

But Why?

NH3...

That speaks very loudly indeed.

Quote:That speaks very loudly indeed.

In Gene No One Trusts... :whistling:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I thought gene was still working somewhere as a scout.
No commercial messages in sigs

No GM scoured the small colleges like Gene. His legend will live on.

Quote:That speaks very loudly indeed.

I hope he finds another job.  Preferably with the Colts, tacks, or tinhorns.  And preferably as a General Manager.  The man deserves a second chance.  Everyone does.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

What if...?

What if Coughlin feeds the Titans a steady dose of Fred Taylor in the second half of the '99 AFCC game? We might well be discussing whether or not Tom wants another ring before he retires as the only coach the Jaguars have ever had.

What ifs will deprive you of sleep. I know that one did.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

If Caldwell replaced Shack

1) I'd have 5,000 posts less to my name from not having to vent over Alualu, Cox, Anger, and gene using youtube as his primary scouting device.

2) I'd have less "banned from the board" status' to my history.

3) The stock market wouldn't have crashed.

You do know it's a bit early in the process here, whether Smith sucked or not? Caldwell has had one draft. I hope like hell he's 'the answer', but we went through this same thing once already.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:No GM scoured the small colleges like Gene. His legend will live on.

Through CSIII.