Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hoping That Our Cornerbacks Can Breakout This Year

Alan Ball will not play any better than he did last season. The guy was horrible before he came to Jax, i'm just happy he is playing better than what i would see in his days with Dallas.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Alan Ball will not play any better than he did last season. The guy was horrible before he came to Jax, i'm just happy he is playing better than what i would see in his days with Dallas.
He played better than any of us expected even though he gave up some TDs and just generally got beat at times.  DC/Gus were right about playing press suiting him better.  

I don't expect him to play at a much higher level  - but I do expect an improved pass rush to make him look better/make his job easier. 

Quote:He played better than any of us expected even though he gave up some TDs and just generally got beat at times. DC/Gus were right about playing press suiting him better.

I don't expect him to play at a much higher level - but I do expect an improved pass rush to make him look better/make his job easier.

Definitely agree with you on that one.

Breakout?

I didn't even know they were in prison.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Top corners don't fall in the draft.  More often than not, corners are picked at a premium resulting in overreaching.  I'd like for us to stay with our core for now, unless we find great value at free safety in the draft.  We have too many needs and corner is better off than most with a good blend of developmental and veteran players.

Is anyone else on these boards tired of the "breakout year"  description every offseason? What does this even mean? Is a good year a "breakout year" or just a good year? Do you have to have a bad year prior to a good year for it to be a "breakout year" or is a good year prior to a good year still considered a breakout year? If a player has a good year then a Pro Bowl year is that considered a "breakout year"? What if he has a bad year, then a good year, then a bad year; is the second year a "breakout year" or just a fluke year?

I"m confused and enjoying it.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

I think Gratz showed last year that he is a player. He just needs to stay healthy. McCray is the guy whom I think will raise his game this year. He has good size and speed and plays hard. Interested to see what Harris has to offer.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Evans is more of a SS then a FS but I really like him.

Quote:Is anyone else on these boards tired of the "breakout year"  description every offseason? What does this even mean? Is a good year a "breakout year" or just a good year? Do you have to have a bad year prior to a good year for it to be a "breakout year" or is a good year prior to a good year still considered a breakout year? If a player has a good year then a Pro Bowl year is that considered a "breakout year"? What if he has a bad year, then a good year, then a bad year; is the second year a "breakout year" or just a fluke year?

I"m confused and enjoying it.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Chief you just had a Break-Out Posting and I too am Confused... LOL...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I, for one, would not like to see the Jags draft a corner early on.  I think Gratz/ Ball can be above average and hopefully McCray will be nipping at Ball's heels for a starting role. 

Also - we haven't even seen Jeremy Harris play yet. He's 6'2" and ran a 4.48 forty-yard-dash at his pro day. I think they should find out what they've got on the roster during the 2014 season at corner. A high draft pick may not be necessary. 

Mike Harris/Will Blackmon can hold down the nickel.  FS is the only place you might point to as a liability in the secondary - so that would be the only secondary spot I wouldn't mind them addressing in the first 3 rounds. 

I just think the team has too many greater needs that can easily be addressed in the early rounds.

I Concur to All w/the exception of drafting an DB within the first three...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:We have zero ball hawks.
With 5 DBs on the roster entering their second year - you can't be certain of that statement in the slightest.

And, yes, if a top tier DB falls to them in the 2nd or 3rd - it may be the best value.

In an ideal world - I'd just prefer to see pass rush, QB and interior o-line addressed first. I'm sure no one would hate a top prospect at corner or FS joining our Jags though.

Quote:Top corners don't fall in the draft.  More often than not, corners are picked at a premium resulting in overreaching.  I'd like for us to stay with our core for now, unless we find great value at free safety in the draft.  We have too many needs and corner is better off than most with a good blend of developmental and veteran players.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  CB is one of the positions that aren't typically overdrafted.  In fact, a CB has never been chosen first overall.  There should be an extremely talented starting caliber CB available with our second round pick.  We do need a second starting CB, as we've only really got one that's a very good corner.  We've got eleven picks, and (just like QB) I expect at least one if not two to be a CB.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

really looking forward to seeing Jeremy Harris perform. I'm excited about his length and the potential it offers. Hoperfully he'll be all the way back from that back issue.

Quote:really looking forward to seeing Jeremy Harris perform. I'm excited about his length and the potential it offers. Hoperfully he'll be all the way back from that back issue.

I believe that Harris is whom the staff is banking on to be that late round blossom...

I Do Believe...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Jeremy Harris is from a small school. He should be cut.
No commercial messages in sigs