Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What does FA tell us about our draft?

Quote:That's interesting, because I heard the exact opposite.  Not sure exactly where (probably Mayock) but I remember hearing that this year's Center class is very weak compared to other years.

I trust our FO has done their homework though so I'm not too worried about it.
That person was right, not Pirk. This is a weak C draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It tells me they've opened the door now to draft a qb in the first even though thetop7 players in this draft are not qbs

Quote:Does it feel like we have a feel how Dave's gonna draft yet? QB 1st? Later on?

To me it looks like we're beefing up the defense and depth which leads me to believe we're gonna take Mack at #3.
Clowney if he's there. 1st pick at 3

This is a stronger draft for a center than it is for a quarterback.

Apparently, Caldwell feels the same because he secured that position via FA. He didn't jump and overspend for a center because he knows a decent guy will be available in the draft. He couldn't rely on that for a QB.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

They will draft a QB somewhere in the first 4 rounds and he'll "win" the backup job in camp.

Quote:This is a stronger draft for a center than it is for a quarterback.

Apparently, Caldwell feels the same because he secured that position via FA. He didn't jump and overspend for a center because he knows a decent guy will be available in the draft. He couldn't rely on that for a QB.
He 'secured' the worst starting QB in the league, or an average backup QB. I pray that you don't really believe that Henne (or any FA really) resigning says one iota in any way about what Dave thinks about any position of the draft. 

I suspect the jags will still sign a center in free agency and teams are waiting for the Mack situation to resolve. Still starting centers available: Dietrich-smith, de la puente, velasco, Wendell.

Dietrich-Smith is signed. Ill take De La Puente if we cant snag Mack though.

Quote:Dietrich-Smith is signed. Ill take De La Puente if we cant snag Mack though.

Agreed.

I have been on the De La Puente train for a long time. I feel he would fit the zone blocking scheme a lot better than Mack would anyway

I'm not sure this FA class tells us anything about the draft. We were pretty barren on the talent scale last year, so we can effectively add the BAP at any position and immediately gain depth, with the idea that the rookie will develop into a starter. Kinda what we should've done with Ben Roethlisberger. We didn't take him because we had already taken Byron the year before, even though arguably he was the BAP at the position at the time. It's nice to be able to have choices and not fill an immediate need. Now, if we don't sign a C before the draft, that may become a need right away.

WR Round1

QB Round2

or visa versa

Quote:WR Round1

QB Round2

WR - Sammy Watkins

QB - Brett Smith

Quote:WR - Sammy Watkins

QB - Brett Smith

Id be kinda down for this but i admit i dont know alot about Brett Smith and it would be more about Teddy/Clowney already being gone rather than wanting Watkins over them. On Brett SMith I know he wowed at his pro day according to the thread but other than that he didnt even get a combine invite and i dont trust the sudden jump in hype. Especially if its all based on a pro day in a controlled enviroment with his receivers.

Quote:I suspect the jags will still sign a center in free agency and teams are waiting for the Mack situation to resolve. Still starting centers available: Dietrich-smith, de la puente, velasco, Wendell.
Isn't Velasco still rehabbing a torn achilles?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM by GreeceMonkE.)

Quote:Id be kinda down for this but i admit i dont know alot about Brett Smith and it would be more about Teddy/Clowney already being gone rather than wanting Watkins over them. On Brett SMith I know he wowed at his pro day according to the thread but other than that he didnt even get a combine invite and i dont trust the sudden jump in hype. Especially if its all based on a pro day in a controlled enviroment with his receivers.

KY really likes him. I started watching towards the end of the season. Dude is good. He has a stronger arm than any of the top three guys (including Bortles) he faster than all three in straight line speed (and probably just as quick as Manziel), he makes good decisions with the football. 

The biggest knock on him, and its legitimate in his case, is that he played in the Mountain West.....and its not like his team dominated that division.

Other than that he has the size (height), speed, and arm...

I like this quote on nfl.com

"The Jaguars are stocking up on defensive linemen after adding ex-Seahawks pass rusher Chris Clemons and tackle Red Bryant. The team also agreed to terms with former Steelers interior lineman Ziggy Hood, another addition for a deep front that will allow coach Gus Bradley to attack opponents in waves."

I see Caldwell hitting the offensive line and linebacker hard during the draft. They have enough picks to maneuver if they need to. I also see a DB or two, and of course, a QB or two in the mix as well. 

I think the Jags will be significantly improved from the past season or two. They won't be world beaters yet, but I would be very surprised if the "excitement" isn't back, and back strong.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.